Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speeds dropping

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi all,

I am looking for some assistance following an internal fault which has brought my broadband speeds down from 42Mb/s down to 20Mb/s.

I cleared the internal wiring fault over a week ago but my speed has not returned to where it was.

Do you have any ideas what I should try now?

I am certain my connections are good (electrician).

many thanks for your assistance.

Kev Grant
Highlighted
Community Star

Are these speeds the ones recorded by the router (its Downstream Line Rate), or via speed tests. If the later what type of connection to the router do they use - wireless, wired or a mixture?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
First Timer
Hi Keith,

These are speeds taken from the router which is a Unifi USG. It’s currently showing 27Mbps.

This is a wired connection.

Kevin
Kev Grant
Highlighted
Community Star

What happens if you move the router to the test socket that is located behind the master socket's removable faceplate and use a new microfilter. This will rule out potential issues with the faceplate or internal wiring.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
First Timer

Stays the same Keith.

That was the first thing I did. I think my line has been throttled back automatically but I thought after a period of time it would resolve itself.

Kev Grant
Highlighted
Problem Solver

FWIW - I had some issues about 2 years ago and DLM dropped my profile to compensate for perceived hardware problems.

It took the downstream nearly 3 weeks to recover from around 25 Mbps back to its previous 40 Mbps speed with an SNR of 6. My upstream has never recovered, remaining "fixed" at 6 Mbps when previously it had been 10 Mbps, the upstream SNR has remained high at around 13 whereas before it had been about 6. But still more than enough for my needs.

No one seems to be bothered about upstream if the downstream is ok.

Highlighted
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Brightspark1966,

Your router is in sync at 39.5Mbps and you are currently on an upto 80Mbps line profile, have you noticed any speed improvement since your last post?

Chris