Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre availability in my area

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

My standard broadband contract ends shortly and I'm considering changing to fibre.

I'm offered this as an option in 'my account' but when I check availability for my address, it only offers me standard "fast" which is max 3.5Mbps. I'm getting appprox 2.5Mbps download.

Does this mean that fibre is not available in my area? If it is, what speed should I expect to get?

The truth is out there... somewhere
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @beardiedog 

The TalkTalk broadband availability checker is here so you can check availability of broadband services from TalkTalk at your home.

A sync speed or access line speed of 3.5Mbps would give you a download speed of under 3Mbps and 2.5 - 2.8Mbps would be about right.

You might like to check the Openreach website to see if fibre is available to your home. Let us know what you find. There may be a fibre to the cabinet service that's out of capacity for new connections or a full fibre service from Openreach that TalkTalk will be ready to sell this autumn.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Gondola

Thanks, but I've done the TT broadband availability check and it's only showing standard, no fibre. However, they're still trying to flog me fibre. A bit naughty if it's not available to me.

Looks like I'll have to move away to a different ISP to get better download speeds.

EDIT: Openreach website tells me no FTTP yet but it's showing TalkTalk as FTTC amongst a list of other providers.

Community Star

...treat the appearance of a fibre offer in your MyAccount the same as a TalkTalk advert for fibre. It's only when you click through on the MyAccount fibre offer or an advert that you sign in and an availability check is done.

TalkTalk are on the Openreach list as providers of FTTC.  If you've done the full Openreach check of your address to see what Superfast products are available and other providers can organise a fibre to the cabinet connection but TalkTalk cannot then, as you say, no alternative but to go elsewhere right now.

The UK Government expect everyone to get at least 10Mbps and from next March you'll have the right to get that Universal Service Obligation minimum speed. Our new Prime Minister in waiting wants to see universal full fibre delivered... but you may also be in waiting for that for a bit longer.

Keep us in touch with what you choose.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks Gondola.