would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre below minimum guaranteed speed.

15 REPLIES 15
rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi there,

I switched to Talktalk back in Oct 2018 from Sky. While I was with Sky I never had any Issues with the speed of my fibre over a 4 year period.

Up until January we were getting 42.06 Mbps Down and 11.98 Mbps Up with a sync speed of around 45Mbps.

Back in January we had some rewiring done at the property and started to get issues with disconnections.

This turned out to be an intermittent terminal in the new socket that the router was plugged in to.

Unfortunately this has caused my speed to be capped which I was unaware could happen with DLM. All faults have now been fixed for at least 4 months and yet my sync speed has still not increased from 34999 kbps.

I know this is splitting hairs, but my guaranteed speed from Talktalk is 35Mbps which is the absolute minimum that the BT Wholesale Checker says that my line is capable of receiving.

Given that before the problem with the dodgy socket that was causing disconnections that the sync speed was at least 45Mbps I belive that DLM has banded the line and become stuck.

So far I have had the faceplate on the master socket removed for the past 2 weeks and there has still not been a shift in the speed.

Please could somebody look into this for me.

Regards

Rose Cooper

aviarybirds
Super Duper Contributor

When i had a problem like yours i was told to turn router off for 30 minutes then back on and the router reset to the original speed 

Community Team

Hi rose,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test hasn't detected a fault, do you have an alternative router that you can test with to see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks

rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi there,

Sorry I should have been clear that I had tried other routers. 2 Drayteks with openreach sin 498 approved firmware and hardware (130 modem only and 2862 modem/router), Asus Dsl-ac68u and of course the newest iteration of the Talktalk router. The Asus and Talktalk sync at 34999 and the Drayteks sync at 34997. These have been tested at around 2 weeks apart with a direct connection with the faceplate removed. Obviously when changing the router there has been a slight dip in speed but usually after 24 hours the interleaving is set to 1 and fastpath is achieved. As one of the previous comments has suggested power downs of upto 2 hours have been tried.

Regards

Rose

rose031155
Popular Poster

I've just noticed that my connection has been interleaved as of about 00:30 this morning. This hasn't happened before. I have attached a snapshot showing stats.Screenshot_20190605_150946.jpgStats.

Community Team

Hi Rose,

Just to confirm, is your router still connected to your test socket? Do you have anything connected to your test socket in addition to your router?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

The router is connected to the master socket through a microfilter. There is also a telephone connected to this microfilter at present. As for noise on the line there is nothing apparent but I am hard of hearing and my husband suffers from tinitus so I'll get one of my son's to listen later.

After the resync at 00:30 yesterday ping times have increased from about 5ms to 12ms but sync speed has stayed the same.

Regards

Rose

Community Team

OK thanks Rose, please let us know if your son can hear any noise on the line and we'll take it from there

Chris

rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

My son says that there is a very quiet hiss in the background. I will admit that I can't hear it. This was carried out with a proper telephone (cabled) into the microfilter attached to the test socket.

Regards

Rose

Community Team

Hi Rose,

Thanks for trying that, if it's just a low background hiss then it should be OK. Your speed actually seems to be on the way up at the moment, DLM changed your profile in the early hours of this morning and sync speed is now 40Mbps. I think we should give it a few more days to see if there's any further improvement. Can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll see how you're getting on

Chris

rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

I can see that the re-sync occured at about 04:30 interleaving was reduced to a depth of 697 down and remained at 1 (fastpath) up. Unfortunately throughput has dropped to 10.1 up and down.

Regards

RoseSpeed Test TT.jpgSpeed Test TT 070619AM

Community Team

Hi Rose,

Did you run this speed test on a device connected to your router by wifi or Ethernet cable?

Chris

rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

I'm going to check a few things.

You made me think with that last question.

Wired over 1Gbps ports I'm getting 10Mbps. Wireless I'm getting almost 40Mbps.

Will let you know what I find.

Regards

Rose

Community Team

OK thanks Rose 🙂

Chris

rose031155
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Believe it or not the network drivers on the only computer in the house that is wired to the router decided to have a moment. That's why I was getting faster throughput on wireless than wired.

I will monitor sync speed and interleave over the weekend.

Regards

Rose

Community Team

Hi Rose,

How have you found the connection and speed over the weekend? 🙂

Thanks