Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre bizarrely unavailable at this address

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Team Player

While trying to improve our household's broadband speed, we've been told by TalkTalk that fibre is unavailable here.

But our neighbours have fibre.

We have a TalkTalk service already, via conventional telephone wires, but the upload speed is unsuitable for Zoom calls, especially when giving classes in the decorative arts which happens here: these calls stutter or drop.

Laughably, using the TalkTalk on-line "availability check", it lists our potential upload speed as "0Mb - 0Mb". This is the experience we sometimes get with our wired service at present, to be honest.

Our location, by the way, is in the High Street of a town of 21,000 people in the south-east of England, about half a mile from the local police, fire and council HQs. In other words, this is a major administrative and local government centre. Surely it can't be unserved by fibre in the year 2020?

What can we do next? We don't particularly want to change provider, as we're otherwise satisfied with the service. Why can't TalkTalk offer fibre at this location when its competitors can?

Borrow a dog and go for a walk.
Highlighted
Philosopher

TalkTalk only have a finite allocation in the Openreach owned and operated fibre cabinets, so if all those lines are in use then they cannot offer you fibre.

It doesn't matter where you are, if the allocation is sold out, that's it.

Martin
Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for this helpful explanation.

I wonder if TalkTalk is listening to this conversation?

There is demand for more capacity — here, at least.

Or must they lose a customer — namely, us?

In a post-Covid business world where good streaming from a consumer terminal is expected, a predicted upload speed of "0MB - 0MB" is unacceptable.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 

If a cabinet is at capacity, we do have to wait for Openreach to increase capacity of their circuits before we are able to offer further fibre connections.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for getting back to me.

What I don't get is that two other ISPs, on a brief survey, can offer fibre here — or maybe that's from a different cabinet, also nearby.

We'd like it as soon as possible because we're clearly at a professional disadvantage compared to other people doing what we do.

Are dates for increased capacity ever given?

Highlighted

Hi

If we have reached our current capacity, we cannot take allocated capacity away from other providers, we would have to wait for extra capacity to be added.

All I can advise is that you periodically check back on our website to see if fibre becomes available to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for letting me know, @OCE_Karl.

As existing customers of many years' standing, is there a way we can be notified or given an expected date?

Our need for good outgoing connections is rather urgent, though we'd rather stay with the same provider so we don't risk breaking continuity of service.

The upload speed, though, given on the TT website as  "0MB - 0MB" is a great worry, with TalkTalk's own 'Ookla'-powered speed test returning 0.5MBit/s this morning on an otherwise clear connection.

Today, also, the incoming line speed has dropped by 1Mbit/s, from 13311 to 12287. This is since we switched our own ADSL router for TalkTalk's own router, to ensure it was not our installed equipment causing low line speeds. It wasn't.

Could our usual speed, at least, be restored?

After all these years of stability, we don't particularly desire to give business to TalkTalk's competitors nor do we wish to lose our connection as a switch takes place.

But, because they are currently offering fibre-to-the-cabinet here, and TalkTalk appears not to be, we are in a difficult situation.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Warblefly 

I have been on the forum for 5 years and in that time there have been many in your situation and I have never heard of TT contacting customers when extra capacity is added.

With BT/Openreach rolling out their FTTP, suspending the upgrade of FTTC to Gfast until next year, I wouldn't hold your breath of them ever adding FTTC capacity.

As you are on ADSL, your upload speed is NEVER going to be above 1, that is the limit for that technology.

Martin
Highlighted

Hi Warblefly

If you add the home phone number to your 'Community Profile', I can optimise the profile and see if I can get the line up to the best speed possible.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

Good of you to ask, @OCE_Karl — and that information has now been added to my profile, which you should be able to see.

The landline (with ADSL) goes to the shop below this office: I'm on the mobile number.

We have a very good relationship with the shop, whose network I manage along with our own, using the ADSL on the number given — so it's no trouble if you want to ask them anything or pause the line for a test.

We are fairly advanced users so can help with modem/router configuration if needed.

Highlighted

Hi

I've reset the port and optimised the profile and sync speed has increased to 14.3mb.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player

We appreciate you, @OCE_Karl, examining and altering the profile — download has increased to 11.9MBit/s as measured by several speed tests.

This is likely to assist ingest of some images and written reports needed for our professional activities in this building.

Unfortunately, the critical part of our connection which I wrote about earlier, the upload speed, remains (according to the router) 741kBit/s, and still measures on your speed test as 0.56MBit/s.

Crucially, this is significantly beneath the legal requirement, as set out in Schedule 1 of the Electronic Communications (Universal Service) (Broadband) Order 2018.

In particular, the rate currently given by TalkTalk is still insufficient for smooth outgoing Zoom calls, which put our family's contributions at a considerable disadvantage compared to many others whose faster connections permit normal quality video.

I will understand if this isn't a question that falls into your remit but, given the law, I would appreciate a response from TalkTalk:

What is to be done as soon as possible to ensure that the broadband connection to these premises meets the legal requirement, detailed here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/445/schedule/1/made

Thank you for assisting as you are.

JW

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Warblefly , and if you had gone to the Ofcom website, you would realise that you have to ask BT or KCOM to assess your situation and not your current provider !

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-intehttps://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-intern... 

Martin
Highlighted
Team Player

Indeed, but we'd rather not risk a break in service by switching. Though it might become necessary.

Highlighted
Team Player

Further to your kind help, @OCE_Karl, we see that today the line speed is back to its previous values (exactly), after an afternoon on Friday of rather unstable service.

What should we do, at this time, to improve this within the shortest timescale possible, please?

Highlighted

Hi Warblefly,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can I just confirm if the master socket has a test socket and if the router is connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle I appreciate you looking into this.

Would you give me time to check with the rest of the people here, that it's ok to do this (because their telephone service would be interrupted)?

To help us, can you tell me for how long you would like the test socket to be in use please?

Highlighted

Hi Warblefly,

We'd really need the router to be connected to the test socket for at least 24 hours 

How many telephone socket do you have? What do you currently have connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router? 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for getting back to me, @OCE_Chris.

I can understand the need for the test connection to be at least 24 hours to allow the stability of the line to be examined.

Considering those in these premises who share this line, we cannot do this on a working weekday, as this would mean losing telephone connectivity, which is part of the contract.

Those of us working under Covid-19 guidelines, from these premises, and not elsewhere, need to be in contact with the outside world.

Is Sunday a suitable day for this? Apply the test socket connection on Saturday afternoon, leave it in place until first thing Monday morning?

Please let me know.

Highlighted
Community Star

@Warblefly, you mentioned in post 10 that the landline goes to the shop below your office. 

Have you considered the Talktalk for Business options?

A traditional ADSL line is unlikely to cope, and is really designed for residential purposes:

https://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/

Gliwmaeden2