cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre bizarrely unavailable at this address

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Gliwmaeden2  it does certainly sound like a business line would be much more suitable !

Martin
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Warblefly,

Yes, that would be OK. If you could bump the thread on Monday we can then check the connection history to see if there has been any improvement in the number of errors 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for this help @OCE_Chris — Sunday it will be.

As for @Gliwmaeden2 and your useful advice about a business account, I'm sorry to report that I do not control this aspect of the service; I simply try to manage what we're given as best as can be done. For all I know, it may be as such, anyway, though we're not sure the business or residential status of the account can alter the physical qualities of the old G.P.O. or BT wiring in the street.

Borrow a dog and go for a walk.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

Good morning @OCE_Chris @OCE_Michelle @OCE_Karl 

As requested, the TalkTalk-supplied router was left directly connected to the test socket inside our BT master connection here, from 1700 on Friday 24 July to 0920 today, Monday 27 July.

The line speed was consistently slightly lower than it has been recently, and, after replacing the telephone connection today, is still the same: 

Downstream: 12287 kbit/s

Upstream: 741 kbit/s

On TalkTalk's own broadband speed check page, these give real-world rates of:

Incoming: 10.3 Mbit/s

Outgoing: 0.5Mbit/s

We look forward to learning how TalkTalk wishes to proceed to improve the service at this high street location, particularly the outgoing rate.

with best wishes,

John

Highlighted

Hi Warblefly,

Thanks for the update. We can try optimising the connection again now that the router is connected to the test socket, however you will lose connection for a short period while this optimises. Are you happy for us to do this now?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for replying, @OCE_Michelle 

Could you tell me, please, for how long the line would be disconnected?

As indicated above, we left the ADSL modem connected to the test socket alone from Saturday night until Monday morning.

This means the ADSL modem is no longer connected to the test socket (it is Tuesday, mid-day), as the usual day-to-day activities in this building require that our telephones are working.

We cannot reconnect the ADSL modem to the test socket alone again until late on Saturday, because telephones must be available for use.

If you are able to proceed with ADSL optimisation today, we can take a short outage of Internet connectivity but not telephone use.

Also, we must have connectivity by 1.45pm for critical uploads to take place.

Is this compatible with TalkTalk's requirements?

In the course of business days, we simply don't have the spare capacity to be out of touch for very long.

with best wishes,

JW

Highlighted
Philosopher
Sounds very much you shouldn't even be on a Home Broadband contract !
Martin
Highlighted

Hi Warblefly,

Sorry again for the delay. It would be about 5-10 minutes. If the connecton is being specifically used for multiple business use, have you tried speaking to TalkTalk business to see if they are able to offer you a business line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Good morning Michelle @OCE_Michelle 

If a five-to-ten minute drop is all it will take, now (and, in any case, before 1pm) would be a good time to do it.

We are a domestic property with a shop below, and I am additionally working from home because my normal place of work is not yet ready for large return of personnel.

Business or not, the biggest problem is the lack of fibre connection to the cabinet with TalkTalk. We can manage our own connections very well once a connection is brought to the premises.

Today's sync speed is 12,287 kbit/s down, 741 kbit/s up.

The down speed is about 1,000 kbit/s slower than when we used our own ADSL modem (replaced because a TalkTalk customer assistant, by telephone, asked us to use the ISP's own modem for better performance — which hasn't happened), and slower than before TalkTalk began its line tests a couple of weeks ago.

Please, therefore, go ahead with any optimization possible this morning, and we'll be back on-line soon.

Thank you for looking into this.

Highlighted

Morning,

Apologies again for the delay. I've optimised the connection as requested, please let us know how the speeds compare.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Good morning @OCE_Michelle @OCE_Chris @OCE_Karl,

Thank you for adjusting the line.

We have seen a 0.02Mbit/s increase in outgoing speed, to a sync speed of 0.741Mbit/s, and a real-world "speed test" speed of 0.61MBit/s.

This means, for example, a typical 50MB academic paper with diagrams, or a media file of a birthday greeting, takes 10 minutes and 54 seconds to synchronise rather than 11 minutes and 18 seconds.

This is not a significant improvement. 

Although incoming speed has increased from 13.331Mbit/s to 14.335Mbit/s, this was not the primary issue. My previous notes throughout this thread have all concentrated on the outgoing, upload speed because:

1. TalkTalk is unable to offer Fibre To The Cabinet at these premises, whereas other ISPs including BT and Sky can; and

2. Because Fibre To The Cabinet is unavailable with TalkTalk, we are very much left behind in the ability to follow government guidance to work from home — neighbours and colleagues are using FTTC or FTTH connections to interact professionally with each other, provide completed work, etc.

Despite several weeks of co-operation between TalkTalk staff and ourselves, the underlying problem of fibre unavailability from this ISP has not been addressed, whereas other ISPs are able to offer this and have already done so to neighbouring premises.

After these weeks where there is no improvement to our service beyond a 1Mbit/s download increase and a 0.02Mbit/s upload increase, we therefore must find a way of bringing a fibre-enabled connection into this building as quickly as possible.

On checking again this morning, FTTC from TalkTalk is still unavailable.

What is the smoothest way of switching to an FTTC connection that we can initiate today please, so we are on a level playing field with neighbours and colleagues? 

I appreciate your assistance so far.

J

Highlighted
Philosopher

If TT's allocation in the fibre cabinet is "sold out" , they cannot and will not be able to get any extra allocation of connections from BTOR.

Your only option is to order FTTC or FTTP from another company if that is the connection you need.

Martin
Highlighted

Hi,

I'd recommend speaking directly to our Loyalty/Sales Team to see if they can look into this further and advise when fibre will be available to you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you @OCE_Michelle @OCE_Chris @OCE_Karl — I have alerted the bill-payer.

Meanwhile, our ADSL automatically disconnected at 3.30am today, then re-connected with a line speed 1Mbit/s slower down, and at 0.741Mbit/s up — precisely the speeds in use before all diagnoses began. 

Perhaps we are, indeed, at the maximum speed that the line can electrically handle with reliability.

It is a great pity that we shall be changing ISPs after many years with TalkTalk, but there is no fibre to the cabinet from TalkTalk here.

J

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle @OCE_Chris @OCE_Karl 

Good afternoon,

Our line speed switched overnight once more, and is now 1Mbit/s lower, incoming, than when we first asked TalkTalk to help improve matters. To be precise, the sync speed is 12,287kbit/s downstream, 741kbit/s upstream.

After many years of service, we're sorry your colleagues in sales or on the bandwidth purchasing side seem unable to do anything for us.

Highlighted

Hi Warblefly

Apologies for the delay.

Your line is currently in sync at 12.2mb. If the sync speed keeps dropping following the line optimisation and you have tested with a different router at the test socket then the next step would be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie