Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre broadband but no increase in speed

26 REPLIES 26
Neiloxo
Popular Poster

I upgraded to fibre broadband an added a speed boost to this as well but have not had any increase in speed. Still only getting about 18mb/s download and 6mb / s upload. Talktalk sent round an engineer who changed the master box but said that he could not increase the speed at all. 

I have recently upgraded my work broadband to fibre and got an instant increase in speed (daisy communications) 40mb up 10mb down, and also another property (bt ) 30mb up and 10mb down. Can talktalk check with BT that the necessary work has been done at the exchange to upgrade my line to fibre? As at present I am paying for the fibre and boost that I am not receiving.

matteus
First Timer

We have the exact same problem,  We get around 18mbps which is pretty shocking.

martswain
Philosopher

@Neiloxo 

From your account, what is the estimated speed range and minimum guaranteed speed ?

What is your downstream line rate as reported by the router ?

Your speed will be dependant on the distance from your home to the fibre cabinet, there are many checkers online that will also give you and idea of what speeds you can expect.

The TT "fibre" product is only fibre to the cabinet, not the home, so very few will get the full speed possible.

Martin
Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Thanks Martin,

the numbers from my router are:-

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 38454

not sure where my bt cabinet is near me but searched on bt wholesale site and it said speeds should be between 38 mbs to 49 mbs
Apart from the slow speed, I am most miffed about paying for the upgrade and not even getting a small increase in speed. It’s exactly the same speed as before which makes me think the fibre connection hasn’t been done,

martswain
Philosopher

@Neiloxo 

Fibre is certainly active as the upload speed is way above anything possible with normal broadband.

I ask again, what have TT given as your guaranteed minimum speed ?

As your actual sync is at 20Mbps and the theoretical maximum is 38Mbps, this suggests there could be an issue with your line.

Does you phone work normally and is the line quiet without any odd noises or crackles ?

Martin
Community Team

Hi Neiloxo,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

@martswain 

sorry Martin, the minimum gauranteed was 38mbs. So are you saying that the absolute maximum is 38mbs?!

the phone line is silent and I have had a talktalk engineer round who could not find any faults. He also fitted a new master box.

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Profile updated

Community Team

Hi Neiloxo,

Thanks for updating your profile. Your current sync speed is 20Mbps which is low, how many telephone socktes do you have?

Chris

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

I have 5 phone sockets but only One is in use, with a dect phone and router plugged in to the same one. The talktalk engineer did test the sockets plus also changed the master socket. When the router is plugged into the master socket there is no increase in speed.

Community Team

Hi Neiloxo,

Just to confirm, does the master socket have a test socket as this will help to eliminate any potential internal wiring issues?

Thanks

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Yes it does have a test socket I believe, see photos attached, but wouldn’t the talktalk engineer have tested this when he installed it a few weeks ago?

7E1BEF90-72EE-4EEC-866F-FF6CA21AEA0B.jpeg78517750-473F-4B32-93B1-EF174E477501.jpeg

Community Team

Hi Neiloxo

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to connect the router, phone and filter at the test socket for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection?

Thanks

Debbie

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Router and phone plugged into test socket at 8:30 am 07/02/2018.

Community Team

Hi Neiloxo

Thank you. Please can you post back on this thread tomorrow afternoon and we can check the connection stats again (whilst router has been connected at the test socket)

Debbie

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Posting back here As requested

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Replying again, not sure what’s supposed to happen now?

ferguson
Community Star

The OCE aren't here at the weekend, they should pick this up tomorrow.

Community Team

Hi Neiloxo,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-checked the connection stats and sync speed hasn't increased. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to see how the speed compares?

Thanks

Neiloxo
Popular Poster

Sorry no I haven’t got a different router.