Need help?

Fibre broadband download speed is getting slower

28 REPLIES 28
richc72
Participant

Router:  HG633

Hardware:  H.1.01

Software:  v2.00t

When we first got fibre broadband about 2 years ago the download speed was about 34 Mbps. It was this speed for at least the first year, but over the last six months or so I have noticed the speed has gradually been reducing. It's now less than 24 Mbps. (I am using an ethernet connection to the router, not wifi.)

Although this is not critical, it is still a lot less than it was initially and disappointingly not much faster than the non-fibre broadband we had before.

I have tried resetting the router by leaving it off for 20 minutes and then restarting (as advised previously by a TalkTalk representative) but this has had no effect.

Please can you advise what may be causing this.

Community Team

Hi richc72

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 25mb.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

richc72
Participant

No, the router isn't currently connected to the test socket but is in the same place we have always had it. When I get a chance I will connect it to the test socket and check the connection speed again to ensure it isn't the home wiring. I'll let you know the results.

Community Team

Hi richc72 

Thank you. Please can you leave the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection in this set up?

Debbie

Highlighted
richc72
Participant

Yes, I can leave the router connected at the test socket for 48 hours, it may be in a week or two, and over the weekend if that's ok. (One of our computers doesn't have wireless so it that makes it a bit more difficult.) I'll let you know when I've connected it up this way.

Community Team

Hi richc72,

Ok thanks for the update and let us know once the router has been connected 🙂

Thanks

richc72
Participant

I am now in a position to connect the router to the test socket so that TalkTalk can test my connection. As it's been a few months since I last had this conversation, I was just checking if what we had planned will still be convenient.

I am planning on connecting the router to the test socket for this weekend. Will the tests be able to be run?

Community Team

Hi richc72,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Is the router still connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

richc72
Participant

No it's not connected to the test socket at the moment. As it's a bit of a pain to connect it this way (we run two computers off ethernet) I think the best time to move the router to the test socket is at the weekend when we don't use these computers so much.

Would the weekend be suitable for you to run your tests, and when do I have to let you know when I have connected it up? (I would probably move the router on a Friday evening).

Community Team

Hi richc72,

Unfortunately we're not here at the weekend. Did you notice any increase in sync speed whilst the router was connected at the test socket? Is the router usually located on an extension socket? Do you have any other equipment connected to the line?

Thanks

richc72
Participant

Hi Michelle,

I have now connected the router to the test socket, but this has made no difference to the connection speed. I have not used an extension cable in this set up and have disconnected all other equipment on the line. The sync speed is showing just 22 Mbps. This is even slower than it was six months ago.

I can probably leave it like this for a few hours, but will need to revert to the normal configuration where this router is on an extension socket, as I have a computer that only has ethernet. If you need it left in the test socket for 48 hours (as Debbie mentioned in a previous post) I will have to work out a time to do this.

Community Team

Hi richc72,

Thanks for the update. It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable. Is the router still connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

richc72
Participant

Hi Michelle,

I notice that the router restarted at 6.30am this morning. Is this DLM operating? The sync speed is now 20 Mbps, the slowest it's ever been. Is the fact that the router has been turned off and turned on later a few times (moving the router to the test socket and back, there was also a power cut this week) affecting it because DLM thinks these are errors and reduces the sync speed?

The router is no longer connected at the test socket, I can't leave it there unfortunately. But I have proved that at its current position makes no difference to the connection speed.

Can DLM be reset or restarted for my line?

Community Team

Hi richc72

"Is the fact that the router has been turned off and turned on later a few times (moving the router to the test socket and back, there was also a power cut this week) affecting it because DLM thinks these are errors and reduces the sync speed?"

Yes this can affect the sync speed as DLM will change the profile to help stabilise the connection.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the line is in sync at 20mb. Please can you leave the router at the master socket for 48hrs (over the weekend) without rebooting the router? We can then check the connection stats again on Monday. If the speed hasn't increased then we can raise this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

richc72
Participant

Hi Debbie,

Ok, I've now reconnected the router to the test socket where it will stay until Monday. Let me know what the situation is then.

Community Team

Hi richc72 

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi richc72 

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

richc72
Participant

Ok, thanks.

You asked in a previous post if there was any other equipment connected to the line. There are two telephones, one cordless and another old phone on an upstairs extension. Do you think one of them is likely to be causing a problem? Is it worth ensuring that they aren't the problem before we get an engineer to visit? It is difficult to do without a home phone because we use it all the time, but I could disconnect the upstairs phone, and/or possibly change the cordless for another model.

Community Team

Hi richc72

Thanks for your reply.

If the router was connected at the test socket then this would rule out anything connected to any extension sockets.

Would it be possible to connect the phone, router and filter at the test socket so we can run another line test in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

richc72
Participant

That was the configuration over the weekend, the router and both phones were connected through one filter into the test socket.

When you say run another line test, is that an instantaneous test or does the router need to be left at the test socket for another 48 hours?

I have disconnected the upstairs phone to see if that makes any difference, but assuming in 2 days there is no change to the sync speed I will then be happy to go ahead with an engineer visit.