cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Fibre broadband slowing down rapidly after reboot

29 REPLIES
Highlighted
JamesStringer6
Participant

Hi - hopefully someone from TalkTalk will pick this up.

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing rapid slow-downs in speed - from an initial 19.6 Mbps when the modem is rebooted, down to as low as 0.5 Mbps within a few minutes. An engineer visited yesterday and updated the modem's firmware and for the rest of yesterday afternoon it ran at full speed.

But, this morning it was down to 0.5 Mbps again. After rebooting it went back to 19.6 but has now dropped again to 3 Mbps. It is extremely irritating to have to keep rebooting the modem to get a few minutes of sensible speed. Clearly the firmware update has not fixed the problem.

Please can someone advise on the next steps I can take.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi James

I see you've already had a Brightsparks engineer visit and the router has been checked. I assume the engineer also checked the complete setup from telephone Master Socket to your connected devices?

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's and they'll respond to you right here to help you.

You may have already done this bit but ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

Leave your router powered and connected to the line until you hear from the OCE's.  They'll check the line performance and the router and will have options to discuss with you including escalation to Openreach if a fault is present.

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *
Community Team

Hi JamesStringer6

Can you add your home phone number to your Community Profile so we can pick this up for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

JamesStringer6
Participant

I have added the phone numbers and the router is switched on permanently, apart from when I have to reboot it to get a period of sensible speed!

How long before someone contacts me? The problem is still ongoing, although intermittent. I'm afraid I can't find the time to spend another hour on the phone to the support desk.

Many thanks

James

Community Team

Hi

Router is in sync at 20mb.  Line tests are clear with no errors on the line.

Does the speed drop affect all other devices connected ?

Can you check the home phone, is this clear of any noise, with a clear dial tone ?

Thanks

Karl. 

JamesStringer6
Participant

Thanks, Karl. I can confirm that when the slowdowns happen, they happen on all devices, regardless of whether they are wired connections or wireless.

I shall run speed tests from time to time and post the results here. This morning, for instance, the speed is showing as 11 Mbps on Ookla. Surprisingly, the TalkTalk speed test is saying

"Sorry, we can't run a speed test from your location

The TalkTalk speed checker helps you find the upload and download speed on your computer or laptop. Please make sure you're at home when you run this test."

This is odd because I am at home and have not had problems running that speed test before.

I'm going to reboot the modem now and will continue to post speed tests periodically. There is definitely something not right about this connection.

Kind regards

James

JamesStringer6
Participant

Hi Karl

The speed is now down to 5.7 Mbps. I can also confirm that the landline telephone line is clear of noise and has a dial tone.

Kind regards

James

JamesStringer6
Participant

Sorry to deluge you with posts, Karl, but here are some more figures:

Restarted modem at 0600 and ran speed test: download 19.73, upload 1.49

Ran speed test again at 0615: download 5.75, upload 1.54

So now I have to reboot again. TalkTalk speed test still thinks I'm not at home!

Kind regards

James

Community Team

Hi JamesStringer6,

I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

JamesStringer6
Participant

Hi Karl - no, sorry, I don't have an alternative router I can use.

Kind regards

James

Community Team

Hi James

I've ordered a replacement router and returns bag for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

JamesStringer6
Participant

Thank you, Debbie. I'll post the results here.

Kind regards

James

Community Team

Hi James

Thank you :-)

Debbie

JamesStringer6
Participant

While I wait for the new router, which should arrive Monday, I thought I'd attach some more speed test results. You can see that the peaks are when I reboot the modem, when it operates at full speed for a period of time, which seems to be an average of 20 minutes, before dropping down to what is now < 1 Mbps.

Community Team

Hi JamesStringer6,

Thanks for running the additional speed tests and let us know how the speeds compare once the replacement router is connected.

Thanks

JamesStringer6
Participant

Hi Michelle

The new modem has arrived and I have connected it. Initial speed test shows it close to the highest speed achieved by the modem I already have - the new one is about 3% slower on download and upload. The new one is a D-Link instead of a Huawei.

Interestingly, the other modem had stayed connected at full speed since 0530 on Sunday 5 November, with no speed drop in the evening or overnight.

I shall run speed tests on this new modem for a couple of days and post the results here.

Community Team

Hi JamesStringer6,

Ok thanks for the initial update and please let us know how you find the connection and speed over the next few days :)

Thanks

JamesStringer6
Participant

Hi Michelle

I have been running the D-Link modem for a couple of days now, and these are the results:

Initially, it ran at approx 19.15 Mbps - around 3% slower than the Huawei - for about half an hour, when it dropped to around 17.5 for three hours. Then it went back to around 19.2 for the rest of the day, and was still holding this speed at 0445 on Tuesday morning. At 0630 on Tuesday morning it dropped to around 15 Mbps and has stayed there ever since, despite a reboot today. This is a sustained reduction in broadband speed of 24% compared to the previous modem.

Upload speeds with the new modem have been consistently poor, averaging only 60% of the speed previously achieved with the Huawei modem.

I propose to revert to the Huawei and monitor the speeds on that again. There is either something wrong with the broadband service, or the D-Link modem is not capable of providing the same speed as the Huawei.

What concerns me most is the abrupt 24% reduction in speed that occurred yesterday at 0630 and which is not cured by rebooting the modem.

Please can you look into this.

Community Team

Hi James,

Which router do you currently have connected? If you currently have the D-Link connected can you switch back to the Huawei. Sync speed is currently 16.1Mbps

Chris

JamesStringer6
Participant

Hi Chris - I have switched back to the Huawei, but it's even slower than the D-Link. Current speed test shows:

Download: 14.43 Mbps

Upload: 1.07 Mbps

So, this is now 27% slower than it had been up until 7 November. Help to get it back to full speed would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

James