cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre customer for 7 weeks, and connection is still dropping from 80Mbps to 7.9Mbps

9 REPLIES 9
First Timer

I've been in contact with customer support multiple times since at least the 16th of March and its actually becoming a joke now. Ive had 5 Openreach engineer visits and every time they say nothing is wrong.

My connection is being cut on random midnights at approximately the same time and the speed is either cut to 7.9Mbps or put back to 80Mbps. And it only gets put back when I contact customer support.

The longest is was stable was 10 days. Every other time its lasts between 1 and 3 days.

I have a WiFi Hub Sagemcom FAST5364 router. NTE5c mk4 box. Yes the Grey wire is connected. No I don't have a landline phone. And no I'm not switching the hub off at night.

Community Star

When this next happens, please can you capture this information so as I can try & help you?

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password:     the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub has its own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

First Timer

My PC is connected via wire

xDSl
 StatusConnection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink Encapsulation
Line 1
UP
00h43m11s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
  Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]
Line 1
DownstreamUpstream

Thank you for submitting your speedtest results. This will aid our technicians if you have an issue.

We recorded your speed asDownloadUpload
1186 KBits/s(148.25 KBytes/s)
2927 KBits/s(365.875 KBytes/s)
Community Star

Alas the forum software has partly corrupted your reply. As you do not use wireless connections, then I can only assume that this is an issue with your router, as it is in sync at 79M.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

First Timer

most likely a Prob at the BT end rather than talk talk. BT have been taken to court several times for throttling back internet speeds of non BT customers who rent the lines through BT.

Its a problem we will all have while talk talk rents the lines from BT.

Ive lost connection a few times in the middle of the night with no wanings about it being disconnected or any work being done due to BT not informing talktalk.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi spencerr86,

Just to confirm, have you ever tested with a different router? If not then please let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

First Timer

I have not tried another router. Would that be a reason why it disconnects at midnight and my incoming speed goes from 80Mbps to 7.9Mbps.

Hi spencerr86

It would be worth testing with a different router to rule out any possible equipment issues.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

First Timer

Okay its worth a try. When can I expect it?

Hi spencerr86,

I've ordered the router, should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery 

Thanks

Chris