would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre download speed throttle in the even8ng

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

i noticed on the Saturday night, 14 September, that my Netflix was buffering. I completed a speed test from the talktalk website and download speed was 5Mbps and upload was 8Mbps. I was expect around 36Mbps the upstream was the same. 

Sunday morning, 15 September, I ran the speed test and everything seemed back to normal. I was getting 36Mbps downstream. 

Sunday evening came and and back to 5Mbps. Spent hour on webchat and got nowhere, spent an hour on the phone and now a new router being sent out.  

Should I expect this to fix it? I did change the router to a TP-Link router for a few minutes this evening, and downstream was still 5Mbps. I have put the talktalk router back in the test socket. 

Any advice greatful

thank you

Highlighted
Team Player

Good morning

as expected done a speed test this morning and down is 37.7 and up is 7. 

I will I’ll check the speeds again when I am home and throughout the evening and see when it drops. 

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi arayfield1980

Apologies for the delay.

Please can you run a wired speed test when the speed drops using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I did about 60 speedtests from the talktalk speedtest on sunday night from 18:00 to 20:30.

I can run another tonight, do you want me to post the results on here?

Andrew

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

Yes please. Are these wired speed tests? Are any other devices in use when running the speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

17:00 test results. Wired and router in test socket. WiFi disabled so this the only device connected

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Team Player

17:22

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Team Player

18:05

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Team Player

19:15

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Team Player

19:40 @OCE_Debbie 

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
First Timer

I'm having this exact same issue for the past couple days as well where my download speed plummets to around 5-10mb instead of 75mb normally. Had an outreach engineer come and have a look today and said it was either a router issue or a problem at talktalks end so have a router coming tomorrow but the speed drops in the evening to midnight every day. My upload isn't affected much other than being a bit jittery in the graphs and slightly slower when the issue happens. My router has always had an issue when reconnecting to the network when powered off and on so will be happy if this new router solves that at least but I'm thinking the speed plummet issue might be something else since it happens every day at the same sort of time.

bbtest.jpg

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Debbie 

20:45

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Team Player

hi @wackybruce 

I am not sure how replacing the router is going to help us. I smell a rat that it keeps getting "throttled" during peak times. 

I have the new router coming so I will keep you posted on my outcome, I will be interested in your findings also.

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi @arayfield1980

Have to agree with you the problem should exist throughout the day or randomly if the router was bad/temperamental in any way. This seems to be something else but probably too technical for me at this point hopefully it's escalated and sorted once and for all and the costs involved with getting the engineer out not a complete waste.
Will give an update tomorrow evening hopefully I'll be able to get online 🙂

Forgot to mention all my tests are done on a wired connection to my desktop and with no other devices on there the issue does occur. Due to how slow it gets doing anything other than basic browsing (loading web pages, email) everything else is difficult at these speeds. If it was throttled to around 20mb I'd be able to do stuff with it haha in case anyone is listening in 😛

Highlighted
Team Player

6:23 tueday morning

All back to normal in the mornings, graphs prove traffic management during the evening

clipboard_image_0.png

Highlighted
Team Player

hi @OCE_Debbie 

Are you able to offer some help. I have noticed for three nights, saturday,sunday and monday the bandwidth being restricted and then ok again during the day. 

Andrew

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Andrew

Thank you for completing the speed tests, I can see that they are low.

Do you have a different wired device that you run the test on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

hi @OCE_Debbie 

Thank you for continuing to work on this with me.

Yes, i did this last night with two devices.

There is a pattern that this has happened for the last three evenings in a row. Each morning the speed is back to normal. It is clearly something that is outside the property causing this behavior.

I look forward to your response

Andrew

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Could it be DLM?

Andrew

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. DLM would only affect the sync speed not the throughput speed.

Is the router at the test socket? I can then pass this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie