would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre link rate limited, again.

66 REPLIES
Highlighted
steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Not for the first time, my fibre speed has been severly limited.

As a BT customer for two years prior to joining talk-talk, I had >75,000Kbps constantly and zero issues.

I say this to rule out cable quality, distance from exchange, etc.

A few weeks ago I woke up to find no connection and rebooted my router.

Previous to this I had 75,000 Kbps approx. Afterwards, 50,000 Kpbs approx.

I have powered my router down and disconnected all cables for over thirty minutes twice over the last few weeks, but both times Link Rate has been established at 47,000 Kbps.

The first (recent) connection drop and slow connection rate happened prior to any severe weather warnings and TalkTalk service checker shows no outages or issues for my area.

I have not changed any equipment or devices in my home.

This is, I think, the third time I've had to seek assistance for this issue.

If someone could arrange to have this fixed I'd be very grateful.

Community Team

Hi steenjohna,

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router?

Chris

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

A single openreach master socket into which the router and a telephone are plugged.

Community Team

Hi

The speed range of your line is 45 - 73mb. 

Current sync speed is within this range and all line tests are clear with no obvious issues.

Until the line speed breaches the estimated range BT will not see this as a fault and will take no action.

Is your master socket the old type with a single piece face plate or does it have the split faceplate with a test socket behind ?

Is your phone line clear of any noise etc ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Is your master socket the old type with a single piece face plate or does it have the split faceplate with a test socket behind ?

The socket was fitted three years ago upon joining BT. I believe the face splits to reveal a master.

We have no additional wiring or devices.

Is your phone line clear of any noise etc ?

It is clear.

Community Team

Hi

As the profile setting is ok, could you open up the socket and plug the filter direct into the test socket and we can see if the sync rate increases.  This will rule out an issue with the face plate.  If the speed remains the same then we can swap out the router, filter and cable to rule out a hardware issue affecting the performance.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl,

I have removed the faceplate and fitted a brand new, unused, filter and cable to the router.

I've removed the telephone for the time being.

Link Rate was immediately established at 47052Kpbs.

I may be wrong, but that number looks familiar. I think the Link Rate is being established at exactly the same rate each time, to the Kb.

This is what happened why sky arbitrarily capped my Link Rate way back when.

Any chance TalkTalk are doing the same?

Community Team

Hi

We are not capping the line rate, the profile is set by BT and is currently at the highest rate of 80mb, so the line is being allowed to achieve what it can.

As long as the speed remains within the estimated range provided by BT, we / they will not view this as a fault unless the speed drops outside of the predicted range.

Thanks

Karl. 

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Ok,

Either way, something has changed over night and, as you have ruled out issues with the line and I have ruled out the faceplate and household devices, I believe the only remaining variable is TalkTalk's router.

I will accept your offer of a replacement router, on the condition that there are no charges of any kind, or expectations that any equipment is returned at my cost.

If that doesn't restore my expected link rate, I shall speak to complaints and then cancellations.

If you could confirm dispatch, I'd be very grateful.

Community Team

Hi

A new router is on the way for testing.

This should arrive in the next 24-48 working hours.

Thanks

Karl.

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Thank you, Karl.

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

New router has arrived and the issue persists.

Downstream Link Rate is precisely 47052, as it was before.

We know my line is capable of >75k all day every day, and I expect the chances of syncing at the same speed, to the kb, more than once in a row are very slim.

We also know that my router and household wiring are not causing a problem, and you say my line from BT is without error so what are the remaining variables?

It would appear that someone, or something, is limiting my speed in a very precise manner.

Community Team

Hi steenjohna

Please can you leave the replacement router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs (without rebooting) whilst BT's DLM is monitoring the connection.

Thanks

Debbie

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Will do.

I'll report back on Monday.

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

My connection just dropped and reconnected, without any input from me, at exactly 47052, as before.

It had been live for approximatly 48 hours, since installing the replacement router.

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

54999k - Monday morning.

Community Team

Hi steenjohna,

Sync speed still 55Mbps, there appears to have been a profile change on the 21st. Please continue to monitor and let us know how you get on.

Chris

steenjohna
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me

1: What was the change (to and from)?

2: Who did it?

3: Why did they do it?

4: Why did Karl mean by "As the profile setting is ok...."?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

The profile change on the 21st has kept the same line rate but moved interleaving to Low.

The current profile is showing as : 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On

Profile changes are automated and fully controlled by  the BT DLM system based on line readings, error scores etc.

When I initially checked the line test the profile setting was showing higher but is now showing at 55mb.

Thanks

Karl.