Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre router dropping connection randomly

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sightseer

In the past half year I have noticed that my router disconnects randomly during the day and night - averaging about 4 times daily now.  Some days I get away with it, but then it returns with abandon.  I carried out a service check online which reported a fault - and sent out an Open Reach engineer.  He was useless - blaming the fault immediately on my home set up:  router is upstairs using an extension socket.  He said that because of this the connection coming into the house gets confused and goes the wrong way causing the connection.

The point is; I've had the same set up for 8 years and only noticed this problem in the past half year.  Any advice welcome, thanks.

Fortes
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor
Is it possible for you to connect the router to your master socket just to prove if you do still have the same problems. I know it is a pain, I have exactly the same issue as I have my router on the extension socket, but if you ever want to report a fault it is always useful to be able to confirm to TalkTalk or Openreach that you have tested the router in the master socket and you were getting the same problem from that socket too.

Ideally if you have a test socket in your master socket then test it from that as well, as if it works with no issues in the test socket the fault is likely to be within your property.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks for the reply.  I will try that next - but the odd thing is that I have had this set up without problem for many years.  Now I am getting 5 or 6 disconnections a day.

Logs in my router are being flooded with this message:

Error DNS
DNS name resolution failure (f.8.c.3.f.c.6.d.2.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.f.d.f.e.4.1.3.c.8.c.4.0.1.0.a.2)

and the disconnections have this message:

29.06.2020 20:35:02 Warning DHCPC
The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36

When the OpenReach engineer visited, he didn't even bother to come indoors and carry out any checks - just made excuses about electricity not knowing where to go because of extension cables being used.

I did a Live Chat last night - they said they'd investigate further and send me a text.  I haven't heard a thing back.

Twice I've tried phoning support:  25 minutes+ wait only to be cut off.  Dreadful service.  I think it might be time to move to another ISP if the service remains this poor.

Fortes
Highlighted
Sightseer

Could a TalkTalk representative on this forum address my problem as I am unable to get through on the phone (disconnected twice after waiting 25+ minutes), and Live Chat never returned the message by text they promised.

Fortes
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Fortesmentum,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer
Hello Michelle

I have updated this now.

Today I am getting repeated resets of the router - sometimes minutes between resets. I think it's time that I was given the opportunity to see if a different modem will sort the problem out.

Thanks
Fortes
Highlighted

Have had the same problem for over a month, they just keep thanking me for my patience and they are dealing with that problem. Wel my patience has ran out and I am going to switch providers. Surely they can't invoke an early release fee if they have not provided me with the service I have been paying for ?any advise apreasiated .

Highlighted
Community Star

Please start your own topic,  @Lealie. This can be done by returning to the top of the message board. Click Start a Topic. 

You will need to complete your community forum profile details for help specific to your account. 

Please go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard; make sure you put in your landline phone number and a fallback mobile phone number; click finish to save. 

Gliwmaeden2