Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre router security

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi from Tim_T. My I Phone and I Pad Wi-Fi connection is telling me that WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure and I should configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WWPA3 security type. I have no idea how I can or, even if I should do this, and would appreciate some advise. Thank you all 

Highlighted
Community Star

You should indeed be using WPA2-PSK & AES.

I need to know the make/model of router you are using, before I can tell you how to change it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Keith. Thank you for replying to my question, my router is a super router HG635 hardware version G.1.01 which I think is made by Huawei.

Highlighted
Community Star

It have seen a lot recently about MAC ios14 upgrade, I didn't know that there was an upgrade affecting iPhones & iPads as well.

I have no idea what criteria Apple is using to determine poor security. Maybe they are flagging up anything that is still vulnerable to the WPA2 KRAK issue from a few years ago. I do not have any Apple products, can you try & find out exactly what they class as poor security so as I can get this processed further? There must be something on their support site about it. Can you also give me a list of the various iPhone & iPad upgrades that have started alerting users to this?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
First Timer

I have been in contact with Apple Support who advise that they "do not think there is an issue with the IOS14 upgrade and have advised that I should change my Wi-Fi password and configure my router to WPA2(AES) or WPA3. Can you help with this?

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Tim_T 

See the "sticky" at the top of the page.

Martin
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Martin. Sorry I'm new to this what is a "sticky"?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Tim_T ,

@martswain is referring to this post : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Weak-Wifi-security-after-update-to-ios14/m-p/263...

Which is pinned to the top of this community board.

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you all for your help all sorted🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Tim_T 

It is because of the problems that this upgrade has caused for you & many others that I created the stickies in the Broadband & Fibre boards.

Really this was not even a problem, because the router can handle WPA2 Personal with AES encryption or the older WPA2-TKIP. When your phone connects to your WiFi, in the background & seamless to you, the phone & router negotiate to use the highest security that is available on both phone & router (namely WPA2 Personal with AES encryption).

Keith

Highlighted
Visitor

Thanks to Keith for reassurance about wi fi security. I haven’t a clue how to change router settings and don’t want to start messing around given we may be in lockdown again and my ipad is my lifeline. So mentioning security with WPA/WPA2(TKIP) would still be ok was a real help. Will change it when I gave my scientist son with me 😉🙏

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tim_T, glad to hear it's sorted, just let us know if you need any further assistance 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SueDY1,

Welcome to the Community, if you do need help with anything just start your own thread and we'll be happy to help 🙂

Chris