Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre runs slow after a week

25 REPLIES 25
IanC_34
Team Player

I have been a customer with TalkTalk for years. During that time I have had very few problems. Until I changed to fibre broadband. Since then I have had a problem with broadband, which has not been resolved after more than 6 months. When you contact TalkTalk they run their diagnostics and everything shows as working normally, but it is not! The usual course of action is to reboot the router. Broadband then runs at more than 30 Mps. After a few days the speed drops until after about a week it is down to less than 10Mps. The minimum should be 22Mps. I contacted Technical yesterday,19/06/2019, and was told there is an outage affecting the network in my area so diagnostics could not be run. 

I have now complained and just completed a Trust pilot review. Result?/ Emma suggested I join the Community!! Really helpful.

Community Team

Hi IanC_34,

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to hear your experiencing problems with your service 

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

IanC_34
Team Player

Profile updated

Community Team

OK thanks.

Your sync speed is 38.3Mbps and your router is running the latest firmware version. Could you run a couple of speed tests at least 10 minutes apart, on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time)

Chris

IanC_34
Team Player

1st speed check at 13:17

All done!

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.

4.3 Mbps

Your average download speed

7.4 Mbps

Your average upload speed

2nd speed test

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.

9.3 Mbps

Your average download speed

7.4 Mbps

Your average upload speed

Community Team

Thanks for running the speed tests, when did you last reboot your router?

Chris

IanC_34
Team Player

Router was rebooted remotely by TalkTalk Tech team, about ten days ago. Rebooting or disconnecting from telephone line will result in 35Mps. Over the course of a week to ten days the download speed will drop to where it is now, less than 10 Mps, or lower.

Community Team

Could you reboot the router now and run some more speed  tests over the weekend, Could you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check the results 

Chris

IanC_34
Team Player

Hi Chris

I can tell you what the result will be. It will give 30+Mps for  a few days the gradually fall off over the next week. I have been through this for months. At least 6 months. I kept records until a few weeks ago. Rebooting the router is all anybody ever does, or suggests. I suppose it buys you guys a bit of time.

IanC_34
Team Player

Maybe I should just fit a timer that will switch the router on and off every few days!!!

IanC_34
Team Player

Or here's an idea!! Why don't we try and figure out what causes the speed to drop off over the week?? It starts off ok. It stays up for a few days, then starts to get slower. Why?? What causes it to go slower? Is it something at Talk Talk? Is it something external, like a cable issue, even although your network test shows all is well?? Could it be something to do with my account??

Who knows?, but rebooting the router is not the answer. Just for info, I have tried another router, of the same type, supplied by TalkTalk some weeks ago. It didn't make any difference.

Community Team

Hi IanC_34,

I'm sorry for the delay. Could I just confirm, are you using a HG633 router at the moment? Have you tested with both a HG633 and a 3782?

Thanks

IanC_34
Team Player

Yes it is an HG633 router which was supplied by Talk Talk when I went fibre. The replacement was the same. It didn't cure the problem so I would think it is not the router.Never heard of a 3782.

Community Team

Hi IanC_34

I think we should send a DSL3782 router for testing to see how the connection compares, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

IanC_34
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I think you are missing the point. It is NOT the router. Reboot the router, or replace the router, is the standard advice from every Talk Talk agent I have dealt with. Look at the forum. Its not just me but lots of people having the same or similar problem. 

It is obviously something to do with either Talk Talk capacity to deliver or perhaps a problem with cabling or exchanges. Not a router problem. All that happens if I reboot or change routers is that  my broadband will work for a week, then I need to go through the same hoops as now, to get some support. 

Community Team

Hi IanC_34

Does the speed increase as soon as the router is rebooted? If so then it would be worth testing with a different make and model of router.

Thanks

Debbie

IanC_34
Team Player
Yes the speed increases, but how do you come to the conclusion that a different router would help?? I have already tried another router and that made no difference. Why? because it isn't the router. I was an IT technician for over 20 years. I ran the entire network of a large Secondary school. Building the hardware, maintaining the servers and over 100 PC's, administering user accounts, and troubleshooting user and system problems. I don't profess to have all the answers, but fault finding by elimination usually works. As far as I am concerned we have eliminated the router. It is now up to Talk Talk to find the real problem. As I said earlier . Look at this forum and the number of similar problems. Not a router!!
IanC_34
Team Player

Look at my post (number 11) Perhaps answering these might help??

Or here's an idea!! Why don't we try and figure out what causes the speed to drop off over the week?? It starts off ok. It stays up for a few days, then starts to get slower. Why?? What causes it to go slower? Is it something at Talk Talk? Is it something external, like a cable issue, even although your network test shows all is well?? Could it be something to do with my account??

IanC_34
Team Player

Hello?????? Anybody there??????????

Community Team

Hi IanC_34

This is nothing account related, but is a strange issue.  I've a router on the way to you.  Not because I suspect the router, but the type of router on the way will work in conjunction with a new diagnostic tool we are using and will allow us to gather more data.

Also, tests are passing and the usual voltage / resistance levels look but i am detecting a small cross talk issue so this may also have a bearing on the problem.  As soon as the new router is connected and online, let me know so I can check it has the correct firmware update to allow to to pull diagnostic data back.

Thanks

Karl.