Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speed boost issues

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi,

Before applying the fibre speed boost to my account, the router reported a download speed of 40Mbps, and using a wired connection I could get approx 34Mbps to the PC.

Since applying speed boost I now got 49.5Mbps to the router which is only a small improvement.

On Saturday I powered down my router for about 2 hours, plugged it into the test socket and re-started it.

On re-start it synced to 50Mbps and that's where it has stayed.  It's now been plugged into the test socket for over 48 hours with no change to the download speed.

This is someway off the quoted 67Mbps.  Can this be looked into as I don't feel at this point that the speed boost is worth it.

Thanks

Steve

Highlighted
Philosopher

Is the "quoted 67" speed what you were promised as a minimum guaranteed speed for your particular line ?

If you are referring to the generic average quoted in the advertising, then the 67 refers to the paragraph below.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) sets rules about how companies advertise broadband speeds. They must show the average speed that at least 50% of their customers receive at the network’s busiest time (8-10pm). 

Some customers will get more and some less and the only thing applies specifically to you is what is your minimum guaranteed speed.

More info here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c...

Martin
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Martin,

I wasn't quoted a guaranteed minimum speed at the point I upgraded.

Much more useful would have been a confirmation of what speed the line was actually capable of. I could then have made an informed decision on whether to take the upgrade or not.

Is there anyone at Talk Talk that can look into the issue?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Steve,

When did you add the boost as it can take up to 10 days for DLM to fully optimise the connection if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Michelle,

It was added on the 16th June.

Thanks

Steve

Highlighted

Hi Steve,

Line test is passing and connection looks stable. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

There is some background crackling or a static type noise in the background on the telephone line.

Thanks

Steve

Highlighted

OK thanks, do you still hear the noise if you connect your telephone to the test socket and disconnect your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

Yes the noise is the same with the phone plugged directly into the test socket.

Steve

Highlighted

OK thanks.

We can arrange an engineer visit to look into the noise issue, if you'd like us to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

This is exactly the same speeds and situation that I am experiencing.  Been trying to get help since 24th.  This method of communication is a nightmare.  It just drags on.  Was asked to private message an advisor today. Couldn't do it because an on-screen message had sent too many (it was only my second today). Then I couldn't copy and paste the information he asked for from the Service Centre, as it said it couldn't send HTML.!

lily jamil
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

Yes I'm happy to accept the engineer charges.

I work from home during the week so I'm available AM & PM at all times.

I've also replied to your PM.

Thanks

Steve

Highlighted

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the PM, I've booked the engineer for September 03 2020, AM (8am-1pm) which is the earliest appointment available. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted

Hi mrs-lj,

If you need assistance can you please start your own thread (if you haven't already) and we'll be happy to help

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Well so far I've started two threads, and am no further on than I was a week ago.  I can't understand why I am getting lower, or the same speeds on faster fibre than I was getting on normal fibre?   My phone line is OK, and your service centre seems to think I should be getting speeds between 70 and 80mb.  Has the speed boost been added?  Really don't understand this, its so frustrating.

lily jamil
Highlighted

I appreciate you're frustrated but please don't started multiple threads for the same issue as this only causes confusion, as does trying get support on someone else's thread. You'll receive a response on your thread.

Thanks

Chris