Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speed dropped off

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi

I am a little concerned regard the speed of my fibre broadband. When I first took out the contract I was getting speeds in the region of 30+mb/s, In Aug'19 it was down to 25mb/s, in Feb'20 it was down to 22mb/s and today (8th March) it's down to 18mb/s - even after rebooting the router (see attached speed test results).

I have the latest router connected to the BT Master socket and the speeds measured on Desktop connected to the latest Talktalk D-Link

Speed test results.jpg

 Any support/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Star

You do not seem to indicate if these are speed tests, or the router's downstream & upstream line rates.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Bridman,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Msny thsnks for the reply.

We do not get any noise on the landline.

The BT Master socket does not have a test socket. However, the Master Socket was replaced by BT Engineer within the last 2/3 years

Highlighted

Hi Bridman,

Thanks for the update. Does your master socket look like the below?

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

NTE5 

Highlighted

Hi Bridman,

Thanks for confirming, this should have a test socket. If it does would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the speed in this set up?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Really sorry but that's rather difficult as the router and BT master socket are in adjacent corners of the room. The router is hardwired to the back of the BT Master Socket.

Highlighted

Hi Bridman

Is the router connected to an extension socket or are you connected using a long cable?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Connected to an extension socket hard wired to back of BT Master socket as per advice from BT engineer that fitted the new master socket.

Highlighted

Hi Bridman

Thanks for your reply.

We usually advise to test the router at the test socket to rule out any possible faults with the internal wiring or face plate.

Have you tested with a different router?

If you are happy that all testing has been completed then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Morning

Sorry for late reply. Returning from holiday today so will retest and if still relatively slow I will do as you ask and let you know the outcome.

Highlighted

Hi

No Problem 🙂  -  Test when you can and let us know,

Thanks

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Speed been running at max 12mb/S (assumed this is because of increased demand?). However, today it's between 0.2 and 1mb/S. I've tried to go through the new online line check but it's not working. Please advise.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

As requested I tested the speed by connecting router to BT MAINS test socket about 10 days ago. First speed test gave a download sped of 34mb/S. However, 2nd test went down to 12mb/S where it remained for future tests. When I moved the router back to its original hardwired location it remained around 12mb/S.

Is the system being throttled back?

Please see earlier email for speed as measured today - 29/4/20.

Highlighted

Hi Bridman,

Sync speed is currently 19.1Mbps but I can see that it has been much lower over the last few days. Where is your router connected at the moment? Do you have anything connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router and one telephone?

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Router is hard wired direct to BT main box and nothing else other than router and telephone is connected to the telephone socket.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Really sorry but speed has dropped yet again - see below. This really is not a satisfactory situation and is extremely frustrating and becoming very annoying. I am working from home and a fluctuating FIBRE speed makes this untenable. I have tried everything that has been proposed but still it fluctuates - often worst in the afternoon. As I said before when I first had Fibre it was in the region of 26mb/s and during this period of difficulty the download speed has varied from 0.3mb/s to 18mb/s max, the service centre identifies speed yesterday at 14mb/s which is well below the expected which is 30-35mb/s (according to service centre).

Please HELP.

Bridman_0-1588608340375.png

Highlighted

Hi Bridman,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a possible issue towards the property. Is the router still connected at the test socket? If it is then would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Yes it's still connected to the BT main socket and I would like you to send a new router. Just checked speed and its 4.23mb/s Download and 0.13mb/s upload. Talktalk Service Centre says download speed today = 10mb/s