Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speed issues (please help!)

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
biggerboat90
Popular Poster

Hi there. Where do I begin?

A couple of months ago, I was having issues with the stability of my Wi-Fi connection. It would be fine, and then it would suddenly drop out. If I watched an hour-long programme on Netflix for instance on my Roku Express Stick in the living room where my reuter was located, the stream would cut out and the connection drop an average of two times in that hour period. This would happen without fail whenever I tried to watch something. I called TalkTalk about it and a fault was detected so they sent an engineer. The engineer couldn't do anything and said that it was something only a BT engineer could fix. In the meantime, TalkTalk sent a replacement router (D-Link DSL-3782), even though my engineer strongly recommended while on the phone to TalkTalk that they provide me with their latest Wi-Fi Hub reuter. Anyway, the BT engineer came, ran tests and found the fault. He provided me with a new filter and said the line speed was now much faster (but wouldn't specify how fast). The engineer also inferred that it looked like TalkTalk had capped my speed at less than what I was supposed to be getting as a guaranteed minimum. This is the moment I discovered that my internet package (Fast Fibre) was meant to provide me with a minimum guaranteed speed of 30mbps, so I had been paying for a full year for Fast Fibre without actually ever receiving anywhere close to what was guaranteed in my contract.

When the engineer left, I ran numerous speed tests on my phone while in the same room as the new reuter and the speed was up to a maximum of 27mbps. I was pleased with this as I know that once you're using Wi-Fi as opposed to LAN you're always going to lose a bit of speed even while in the same room as the reuter. This seemed to fix the issue with watching Netflix for example, however a new problem arose with the new reuter. If I was gaming on the PS4 and I simultaneously had either a Skype or WhatsApp voice call, the call would drop in quality and the internet would become unusable. The speed would literally drop to 1mbps or less. I never had this issue with my previous reuter. I would have to switch to 4G on my phone in order to have a call and play the PS4 at the same time. TalkTalk then failed to call me to see how the new reuter was even though it was meant to be a guaranteed follow up call.

Fastforward to the present. I got a new PS4 Pro for Christmas and the issue is once again present, however it's now not just limited to calls, it's all the time. The connection drops from its usual average to less than 1mbps. In the room where my computer and PS4 is, the average Wi-Fi speed is around 15mbps if I run a speed test on my phone and around 20mbps if I run a test on my iMac, but sometimes when running a test I literally watch the speed just drop and drop and drop until it's 1mbps or less. 30 seconds later, it could spike back up to 15mbps. It's completely unstable and unreliable. I've been on the phone with TalkTalk about this and they say they cannot find a fault on the line. I've been trying to see if there is an issue between the PS4 and the new reuter and I've exhausted Google looking for people who have had the same issue and I've tried the solutions but all to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Was I given a dodgy replacement reuter? Whenever I speak to TalkTalk they say they cannot give me the Wi-Fi Hub without charging me, yet I've been with them for years now, and I was paying for a fibre optic broadband package for a year before I was even aware that I was not receiving the minimum guaranteed speed as per my contract. Then you add what the BT engineer said about it looking like my speed was capped. All I got out of TalkTalk was a £5 discount on one month's bill.

I have now connected my PS4 to my reuter via powerline adapters so it's no longer using Wi-Fi. The connection is around 20mbps for the console and seems stable so far, however all other devices in the household - which are all connected via Wi-Fi - are still suffering from this speed/drop-out issue. I have two Amazon Echo Dots, three iPhones, one iPad and a Sky TV mobile booster connected via Wi-Fi. I'm aware that the more devices you use, the slower the Wi-Fi speed, however none of these devices are remotely big speed-drainers and I have confirmation of this from the BT engineer. Plus, of course, I also didn't have this issue beforehand with the old reuter. While the old reuter dropped out, the connection speed itself didn't slow to a crawl like the replacement one (which is a newer model than before). At times I literally watch my mobile phone go from Wi-Fi to 4G, back and forth, back and forth.

So I've hooked up the PS4 to powerline adapters. I've disabled UPnP on my reuter. I've tried disabling the 2.4GHz band and using only 5GHz, which resulted in a higher maximum speed but the exact same problems. I've set both Wi-Fi bands to the least busiest channels. That didn't work either. I've reset the reuter to factory settings. That didn't work. I've also renamed the 5GHz channel so that there is no chance of conflict between the two bands and devices connecting to them. Yesterday a TalkTalk Fault Manager went into my reuter settings and played about with the channels and now the connection is being 'monitored' for 72 hours, but so far there has been no improvement and I know the next 48 hours won't yield any improvements either.

I've literally just had to reconnect my Sky+ box to the reuter because the connection mysteriously died and it wouldn't reconnect on its own. WPS wouldn't work either - the wireless icon just flashed read. It's connected now via password. ALSO (yes, there's more), my Roku stick just flat out stopped connecting to the internet the other day. It literally stopped dead. I was convinced it wasn't the internet because the Roku software itself was being unresponsive and I actually reset it to factory settings. Did that sort anything? Nope. I then rebooted my reuter. Problem solved.

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but I am honestly to the end of my tether with this. What the hell is going on? I have spent hours upon hours trying to fix this and I'm pretty tech-savvy and I just cannot find a solution. Thanks so much for any help!

Community Team

Hi biggerboat90.

I'm really sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. Could you complete your Community Profile and we'll be happy to take a look at this for you

Thanks
Chris

biggerboat90
Popular Poster
Sorted
Community Team

Thanks for updating your profile

The line test is passing but I can see that there have been lots of reconnections each day over the last week or so, until yesterday when there was only one

Have you run any speed tests on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (rather than wifi or via powerline adapters)?

Chris

biggerboat90
Popular Poster

I am unable to connect any devices directly via ethernet.

biggerboat90
Popular Poster
Right. Yesterday the PS4 was not in use as I was not in. Today it goes on and the Wi-Fi gets killed, so I’m 99% sure the replacement Reuter I was sent is having major issues interacting with PS4 consoles.
Community Team

Hi biggerboat90 

Just to confirm, which router did you receive? (make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

biggerboat90
Popular Poster

As above, it's a D-Link DSL-3782. I can now confirm that it's not the PS4 conflicting with the reuter, it's the Wi-Fi in general, so the reuter is clearly problematic. This issue has now been escalated to the UK networking team which apparently is the highest department problems like this can go to. I was supposed to get a phone call at 12pm today but it's now 2pm and no call has come. I will phone up in the next hour, although it's going to be to the foreign fault managers as opposed to the UK team so not sure what good that's going to do...

Community Team

Hi biggerboat90 

I can send a HG633 router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

biggerboat90
Popular Poster

I think it's best to wait until I've spoken with the UK networking team. 

Community Team

Hi biggerboat90

Ok please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

biggerboat90
Popular Poster

So, the case was escalated to the UK networking team in Manchester and they were meant to call me within 48-72 hours. After 72 hours, I was also supposed to get a follow-up call from the service department. 72 hours went by and I had received neither of those calls. I phoned up again and was told that the UK team had tried to call but didn't get through and they're not allowed to leave voicemail messages. They had tried to call my landline despite the fact that my account notes are meant to say that I am to be contacted only via my mobile number as I don't have a home phone, just the line. So they contacted Manchester so that they could call me again. I was given another 48-72 hours' wait period. Did they call? No. So I phoned up again and for a third time a call with Manchester was organised within 48 hours, then a follow-up call from the service department after 72 hours. Yet again, *neither* of those calls happened. I've just spent another 45 minutes on the phone with someone in the service department who doesn't know why I've still not been called. He played around with the settings in my reuter (the third time this has happened) and said that he identified a problem and to monitor my connection for seven days, however to call back if my issue persists after about 4 days. All he did was disable the 5gHZ band and put my 2.4 band on a specific channel. However, speed tests since he changed my settings have seen my connection speeds go lower than they were before, and quite considerably. For instance, my device that's connected via powerline adapters is averaging at 10mbps when it's usually 20mbps.

This is a HUGE mess. I would like that reuter was testing please. I have spent around 5 hours on the phone to TalkTalk over the last two weeks and I'm being given the run around massively with this issue. I don't understand why the service centre doesn't seem to understand that this issue has only been happening since my reuter was replaced. Is it really that much of an issue to admit that there is a fault and send me the Wi-Fi Hub or something? All this money I'm spending on fibre optic broadband with TalkTalk and I'm not getting what I'm paying for. I am seriously tempted to leave as my contract is not being honoured.

Community Team

Hi biggerboat90 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

biggerboat90
Popular Poster

Hi,

After testing the router since receiveing it it appears to do the trick. Do I now send the old one back? What is going to happen about the fact that I was sent a dodgy reuter last year and have been paying full price for the unacceptable service? Thanks.

Community Team

Hi biggerboat90,

Thanks for the update. Did you receive a router returns bag? If you create a new thread in the MyAccount and Billing section then we can look into your billing query for you.

Thanks

biggerboat90
Popular Poster

No return information/packaging was included.

Community Team

Hi biggerboat90,

I've ordered you a returns bag, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Thanks

Chris