Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speed slow on Windows 7 PC

5 REPLIES 5
Shifty Geezer
Popular Poster

Fibre has been live now for about a week. I get about 34 mbps via Speedtest.net on every device (Android, Windows 10 tablet, PS4, iOS) except my main Windows 7 PC which hits 17 mbps. I replaced the old Wifi adaptor with a 802.11ac adaptor and managed 35 mbps from this PC when the connection worked, but it only worked once and the rest of the time the adaptor wouldn't maintain a connection to the router so I've returned it. I then bought a new 802.11n adaptor and am using that, the same protocol as all the other devices. In the same room on the same wireless signal, connecting to the same Speedtest server, this Windows 7 PC gets half the download BW of every other device (same upload).

I tried disabling Kaspersky firewall and using the Windows 7 firewall with the same result. I tried using Internet Explorer instead of my usual Firefox with the same result.

I have had downloads faster, peaking at 27 mbps, on this machine on some tests. This is the one machine that needs the fastest rate! How can I fix this?

KeithFrench
Community Star

What make/model of router are you using?

With the Windows 7 PC, so long as nothing is using the internet in the background (e.g. Windows Update or Google Backup & Sync etc), exactly what is the make/model of adapter that you are currently using?

Please open a command prompt window by going to:-

Start > Accessories > Command Prompt

Please enter these commands one at a time, pressing enter after each one and wait for the response. Then copy and paste the output from each into your reply.

netsh wlan show drivers
netsh wlan show interface
netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

None of these commands will reveal your Wi-Fi password, although other netsh commands will.

Please feel free to PM the results to me, but if you do, please include a link back to this thread, so as I can quickly find it again.

Note I will need to know the names of your wireless networks.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks for the netsh command outputs that you PM'd to me. There is nothing to suggest a major problem for this one PC running slow. Although only a single band 802.11n network adapter, you should get a faster speed than that, or all of the other devices in the 2.4GHz band would also run slow as well, which they obviously don't.

I assume that the WLAN adapter is using the latest Windows 7 drivers? There are some netsh resets that you could try, but I think it is more likely to be down to the location of this PC, compared to the others. Please can you advise me of their locations compared to the router?

Please keep everything else in this thread now, not on PMs, as this is easier to track.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Shifty Geezer
Popular Poster

The other devices are located on the same deswk as the PC. It's a mid-size tower standing on the wooden floor-part of the desk. The phone and Surface Pro are on top of the desk. I'm getting better speeds today and have moved other devices onto the 5Ghz channel.

On the one hand, it's weird and confusing, as whatever's affecting this PC should affect the other Wifi devices. But as I'm getting play speeds, I'm happy to live with it rather than spend time investigating. I'll look to swap to Win 10 in a few months. Can't remember the reason I went back to Win 10. Think it was some ancient but important software not working though.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Is the WiFi adapter plugged into a rear or front USB socket in your case?

Keith

Highlighted
Shifty Geezer
Popular Poster

Front socket. I'm getting 28 mbps now. Not worth investigating any further as that's good enough for the time being and I'll switch to Windows 10 inthe coming months.