Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speeds down to average of 5.8Mbps - 7Mpbs

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

My fibre broadband has gradually gotten worse and worse over the last year, I posted in June when it started to get bad, then I thought I would see if it improved but today it has reached a new low of 5.8Mbps.  Even during the middle of the night (Midnight - 5 a.m.) the connection speed is horrendously bad.  It used to be faster than this, and maybe a year and half ago, I was regularly testing at 35Mbps+, but it has degraded rapidly this year.

I use wired connection - router is plugged into main socket via short extension hard-wired internally to main test socket, installed by engineer when fibre was installed.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @vortigon ,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a day or two.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 

Tests are picking up an issue on the copper section of the line.

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you for the fast response.

Can you let me know if I will be updated about the issue/repairs i.e. when they might be carrying out the work or when to expect any possible improvements?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi vortigon,

I've checked the fault and we have received an update to advise that Openreach have resolved a potential fault. Has this now been resolved for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi, the engineer has replaced the master socket, which has resulted in a minor improvement, averages 18-22Mbps now, but still far short of the 35-38Mbps+ I was getting for several years, up until early this year.

If there are further tests or investigation that can be done, I would appreciate it. Something still isn't right.

Thanks.
Highlighted

Hi vortigon,

Thanks for confirming and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Could you try powering the router down for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi

After router power down, speeds seem to be better. Will keep an eye on it but seems ok at moment.

Thanks for your help, resolved for the moment.
Highlighted

Hi vortigon

That's great 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie