Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre sync speed half the guaranteed minimum

14 REPLIES 14
aswiseman
Team Player

Got my new Sagem Wi-Fu Hub yesterday and once I'd set it up I found the sync speeds to be poor - 15Mbps down, 10Mbps up.

So I plugged my old D-Link router back in and found it reported the same speeds (14999,9999).

Next I plugged the D-Link into the master socket, with a microfilter. The speeds were the same. And then I plugged the new hub into the same master socket and again I got 15 down and 10 up.

So I'm guessing the speed had dropped and I'd never noticed. My fibre has a guaranteed minimum speed of 34.2, so something's gone wrong with the line somewhere 😞

jacamoco
Team Player

Your line has been capped (banded) by the DLM system.

Banding is applied when too many resyncs/retrains occur within a set time period.

Leave the line as is and wait for the staff to pick the thread up.

When DLM decides to remove the banding it will always automatically resync the line at a higher sync speed.

Resist the temptation to reboot/resync to see if the speed has gone up as this just makes it worse and will never result in higher than the 14,999 the line is currently capped at.

Don't blame Talktalk, Openreach have control of the Fibre DLM system for all its ISP's.

Community Team

Hi aswiseman,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

aswiseman
Team Player

No issues I've noticed with the phone line, but then it's hardly ever used.

I don't think I have a test socket in the master socket.

Is this not just a case of removing the 15Mbps cap?

Community Team

Hi aswiseman,

The line management system (DLM) is automated, we can't manually change the line profile (remove the cap) 

Could you check the following help article to see if your master socket has a test socket - Your guide to master sockets

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router and a telephone?

Chris

aswiseman
Team Player

I have one single phone socket in the house. I tested it with nothing connected to it but the new router via a microfilter. I also tested the D-Link router. In both cases they synced at 15Mbps downstream.

I have had higher sync speeds than this in the past with the D-Link router.

I will double check for a test socket later on when I get in.

Community Team

OK thanks,

DLM won't make an immediate profile change when you connect to the test socket, it needs usually at least 48 hours to monitor and respond to any improvement in connection stats over that period of time

Chris

aswiseman
Team Player

OK, it turns out I do have a test socket! 

I have plugged my new router into that directly via a micro filter, with no phone or anything else.

The sync speed is still at 15Mbps down / 10 up. What's next?

jacamoco
Team Player
The sync speed will not increase after you reconnect.
You need to leave it connected and it should increase the speed automatically when it deems the line to be stable enough.

Any time the router is rebooted will just delay the speed being increased.

The test socket is the best place to leave it plugged in for the now.
The staff will pick this thread back up on Monday and check with you for any improvement.

Unfortunately the system is completely automated and there isn't anything Talktalk can do remotely.
aswiseman
Team Player

Mmm.... what about the 'potential fault in the line' detected by customer service? If there is one, presumably my line won't get better?

aswiseman
Team Player

OK. Have been in contact with customer support who have run a test to confirm a potential fault and have escalated this to OpenReach.

aswiseman
Team Player

Quick update... was having an online chat with customer support at 10pm last night. By 9am this morning the Openreach engineer was here. He gave me a new socket, looked at some other stuff and within a short while I was syncing at 40 Mbps down.

He warned me it might adjust itself downwards over the next 10 days, but I should be getting in the 30s where I am.

I'd call that great service!

Community Team

Hi aswiseman,

Thanks for the update. Is the speed still ok since your last post?

Thanks

aswiseman
Team Player

Has been up and running at a sync speed of 40 Mbps for over 50 hours now.

I will have to disconnect later and put in a new, slightly longer cable.

W-ifi speeds are great, but my Comtrend homeplugs are not doing a great job - but that's something for another day 🙂

Community Team

Hi,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks