Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre sync speed halved again

13 REPLIES 13
aswiseman
Team Player

I discovered when I upgraded to the new Wi-fi Hub that I'd become stuck with a sync speed of 15 Mbps down, 10 Mbsp up. A visit from Openreach on Sat 1-Jun-2019 rectified this and I was very happy to be getting 40 down.

I then used a slightly longer cable and then tacked it around the skirting board alongside the telephone cable. (Since I now had a dual socket, I had now two cables.)

I didn’t notice any problems for over a week and then I started recording sync speed drops…

• Tue 11-Jun-2019 32.3 down, 0.5 up
  • Wed 12-Jun-2019 31.8 down, 0.2 up
  • Sat 15-Jun-2019 (1) 28 down, 0.5 up
  • Sat 15-Jun-2019 (2) 32.2 down, 3.8 up
  • Sun 16-Jun-2019 20.0 down, 0.4 up
  • Mon 17-Jun-2019 (1) 19.1 down, 0.4 up
  • Mon 17-Jun-2019 (2) 23.4 down, 0.8 up

I then connected the provided, short cable to the master socket and removed the telephone cable…

• Mon 17-Jun-2019 (3) 31.5 down, 0.8 up
  • Wed 19-Jun-2019 20.2 down, 0.8 up

Then I used a different cable (slightly longer), still connected to the master socket (because the other one was in danger of tripping people up!)

• Thu 20-Jun-2019 30.0 down, 10.0 up

I’ve just rebooted (after 20 hours stable connection) to see what happens… and it’s the same

• Fri 21-Jun-2019 30.0 down, 10.0 up

So I’m still below the guaranteed min download speed (34.2 down), but I’m not sure why. Cables? Could it be the wet / dry weather or changes in temperature?

Should I try connecting back up normally (not the master socket) and then try out the tacked cable again?

Divsec
Community Star
  1. Hi awiseman, have you tried powerline adapters? It's also not a great idea to frequently restart your router, the DLM system can interpret this as a fault and adjust the sync rate down wards.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
aswiseman
Team Player

Weirdly, my router rebooted at about 01:20 on Saturday morning and the sync speeds were perfect...

Sat 22-Jun-2019 (1) 40.0 down, 10.0 up

At 11:27, I decided to try the same cable back in the normal socket instead of the master socket, still leaving the phone cable disconnected. The speed held...

Sat 22-Jun-2019 (2) 40.0 down, 10.0 up

Then I came home to find, the sync speeds had dropped again

Sat 22-Jun-2019 (3) 19.0 down,  3.7 up

Just checked again to find the server rebooted itself 41min ago and the sync speeds are back up again...

Sat 22-Jun-2019 (4) 40.0 down,  10.0 up

Strange if the master socket is OK but the new main socket isn't - because everything else is the same.

aswiseman
Team Player

I do have Powerline adapters, but the speeds I'm quoting are the sync speeds - the speed the Hub is connecting at, not the downline speeds of my PC.

I'm trying not to re-boot unless I have to change cables. But the Hub is also rebooting itself.

martswain
Philosopher

There is only one MAIN socket and that is where the external cable is connected, that is the MASTER.

I guess your Master socket has two outlets, one for phone and one for broadband.

If you need to site the router further away from the master socket, then use an RJ11 extension cable from there to the router.

I have been using a 15m extension for years with absolutely no loss of performance.

Trying to use a normal hard-wired phone extension would not work in my home.

Martin
Community Team

Hi aswiseman

I'm showing a possible issue on the copper line via the fibre service test.

I've passed this over to networks to take a look and see if an engineer can be dispatched.

I'll let you know if they need to confirm an appointment with you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi @aswiseman

Networks have confirmed a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl. 

aswiseman
Team Player

Thanks, Karl. Much appreciated.

Will the findings be reported here or directly to me or in some other way?

Community Team

Hi

Give it a day to let the engineer investigate, then post back tomorrow requesting an update and we can check the engineer report etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

aswiseman
Team Player

Ah yes - my bad. 

When I talked about putting it back in the "master" socket, I actually meant the "test" socket.

I do have an RJ11 extension (two now!). The longest one is tacked around my skirting board on top of the normal phone cable, so it can reach the router. Things started to go wrong after I'd tacked this cable, so I've been trying different cables and the test socket, to see if I can figure out where the fault its. But it might be an external fault... we shall see!

aswiseman
Team Player

The Openreach engineer came yesterday and put a card through the door to say there was no fault found in the lines to the property.

However, the Hub rebooted around 3.20pm and I'm now getting a sync speed of 40 Mbps up and 10 Mbps down through the test socket and it remains this way 17h later. (These are the same speeds I had after the engineer left my property at the beginning of the month.)

So whether the engineer testing fixed something or some coincidence happened, I don't know. 

The hub is still connected to the test socket, so when I'm feeling brave, I'll need to connect back up to the main socket and put the phone back in...

Community Team

Hi aswiseman

Thanks for your reply.

The speed may have increased after the engineer checked the connections at the cabinet.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

aswiseman
Team Player

The sync speed has been 40.0 up / 10.0 down for over six days without any reboots. So it's looking good again.

I've now switched the cable for the longer one I neatly tacked to the skirting board. Reconnected at 40.0 / 10.0. Hopefully it will stay this way - I'll keep an eye on it.

Community Team

Hi aswiseman

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Debbie