would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre unusable

9 REPLIES 9
kalozo
Conversation Starter

Hi,

My fibre has been unusable over the past 48 hours. It is constantly dropping out. I am unable to stream iplayer. Speed tests indicate I am sometimes getting less than 1mb download and latency in the 1000s.

Please can someone take a look to see what the problem might be.

Thanks

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Kalozo, that's a pain! Are you finding this problem both wired and wireless? Has anything changed in your locality? We had some storms earlier in the week.

Have you tried a router reboot?

Your post has been flagged for assistance so you should hear during the day.

How is your landline? Any noise or interference?

D

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi kalozo,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. The connection also looks stable and the sync speed looks ok. Just to confirm, are you connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

kalozo
Conversation Starter

Everything is connected via wifi. I have now added a different access point connected to the router to see if that resolves the issues.

BUT this is a consumer package. I should not have to be wasting my time due to the routers provided by Talktalk not being fit for purpose. I am on my second Talktalk router because the first one didn't work properly. The second one was OK as a router but useless as an acess point. So I am now effectively on a third access point configuration.

This is just not acceptable - I have never had so many problems with other providers. My previous service with EE did not have a minute of down time for years.

I guess you get what you pay for...

Community Team

Hi kalozo,

Thanks for the update. Have you tried a few different wireless channels to see how the speed and stability compares?

Thanks

kalozo
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Yes - I have used a wi-fi analyser and picked the quietest channel.

No matter which access point I use, the wifi is dropping out a few times an hour at the moment.

What can keep knocking the wifi out?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi kalozo

Apologies for this.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

kalozo
Conversation Starter

I have now tried 2 routers and a separate access point so I am not sure a 4th is going to be any better.

Having just run a network analsyer it looks like the Amazon Firestick broadcasts a very strong wifi network on the same SSID as the wifi access point. 

Could this potentially be the problem? I have found a few posts that suggest the Firestick can cause interference. Does anyone have any thoughts on this as a potential cause to the wifi drop outs?

Thanks 

James5300
Team Player

Hi there might be interference go to 192.168.1.1 and check your internet frequently settings they might be overlapping with your neighbor

Hope this helps 

Leave a like if it does tks

Community Team

Hi kalozo,

Just to confirm, were the 2 different routers the same make and model?

Thanks