Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre xDSL connection dropping

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I bought a new corded phone to test my line and this has been in place since 4:30pm on Saturday. I also restarted my router at the same time and it established sync speeds of 40 down and 10 up.  There was no noticeable noise on the line at the time with either the old or new phone.

I noticed the internet dropped at 1:50am on Sunday and re-establish 40/10. Since then no further drops. 

We are not heavy landline users but I will aim to test with a few work related calls over the next few days.

thanks

Dan

Community Team

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply. I have requested an update on the intermittent connection fault from our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I get the same issue with the new phone. Was just on a call, no noise initially, then the crackles start and the internet dropped. Wasn’t till I hung up that the connection restored itself.

Dan

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

1BF2D22A-BA7E-4B94-8F92-20F34270834C.png

EE5E8766-D2CB-4440-99B2-BAC9F07CA90B.jpeg

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

B024E465-C64B-4D1D-9A71-4EB1055A01FF.pngAnd another drop. Wasn’t using landline. Echo stopped playing !

Community Team

Hi Dan

Apologies for this.

I will let you know as soon as I receive further information from our Network Team.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Dan

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Just sent you a PM reply.

Thanks

Dan

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Did the network team suggest anything? Also, what should I be telling the ORE when they arrive?  How will this visit be any different to all the others, and what stops them walking away when their equipment says they can’t find any fault?

Thanks

Dan

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Thanks for following up with the networks team and arranging a call.  Here’s a summary of recent events and some good news!

I called TT Service Management Centre on Thursday 14:20h and spoke to Jared. Thankfully as soon as I dialled the TT number my DSL connection dropped, and stayed offline for the duration of the call, so Jared could see the fault on the line test and referred to it as a high open/end fault.  I relayed the history of this case and the others since last year and he was convinced there was an issue with the fibre port at the exchange or a fault copper joint.  Simply put, the DSL connection should not drop when using the landline.  His suggestion was for an ORE to perform a ‘lift and shift’ i.e. move my connection to another fibre port at the exchange.  I was a little dubious to be honest as this was a suggestion made by the SMC last October, but as OREs never experienced the same fault during their onsite tests this was not performed and there’s a general reluctance to perform ‘lift and shifts’ apparently.  Jared assured me that he would explicitly request this and the ORE should carry this out without question.  He also explained that the ORE would not need to visit my house to do this.

Now because of Easter, it was expected this would be after Easter i.e. Tues or Weds, though to my surprise an ORE turned up just after 5pm.  So much for not needing to visit my house.  He had seen the job pop up and decided to take it.  He too could see the fault on his test equipment and he couldn’t get a DSL connection with upload speeds greater that 1mbps, in fact, due to the noise ratios he couldn’t get a stable connection at all.  Hallelujah!!

He performed the lift and shift and moved me to a new fibre port.  He confirmed there was a hardware fault with the port and most likely the intermittent nature of the fault being disguised by the DLM working out the best connection at any given time.  I didn’t catch all the specifics but this ORE was very clued up, more so than any other that has visited before so I felt confident of some progress being made.

Since the ORE visit on Thursday my internet connection has been very stable.  I saw one drop overnight early Friday morning at about 03:15h.  Not sure why, but it reconnected with normal speeds of 40/10 so I’m not too concerned.  Since then the connection has not dropped - up time of 3.5 days, so looking good.  Landline use has been ok, no noise, and no internet drops.  I’ll continue to monitor over the next few days.

I also have a call back scheduled with the SMC for Thursday so will update again after that.

Thanks,

Dan

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

337EC951-6ACE-4454-A6C3-E3CF2FAC4F80.jpegLooking more stable since the ‘lift and shift’

Community Team

Hi Dan

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I didn’t receive a call back from the SMC yesterday as scheduled.

However, I’m pleased to report that my internet connection has been stable since last week’s lie and shift with the connection uptime now exceeding 7 days.

Thanks for all your help.

Dan

Community Team

Hi Dan

I'm glad to hear that the connection has remained stable. Apologies our Network Team did not call as agreed, I will feed this back.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues with the connection.

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Regrettably my internet stability hasn’t lasted. I had multiple drops yesterday though this time it appears the download speed is being affected and only getting around 5. Also, I wasn’t using the landline at the time though when I checked it didn’t sound very clean, some static was present.

my setup hasn’t changed at home. Router and landline connected to master socket as left by last ORE.

please could you check?

thanks

dan

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

CC5900A2-761E-4847-96DD-3254FE5BCEC7.pngFrom Monday

36159EBC-8694-4630-94AD-BDD0C62AEF9F.pngFrom Sunday.

Community Team

Hi Dan

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a further line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see a high number of re connections on the line and the speed is low.

I have escalated this over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Dan

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a bit more information 

Thanks
Chris

Community Team

Hi Dan,

Our network team have confirmed that the engineer is booked for May 01 2019, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris