cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Fluctuating speeds

16 REPLIES
Highlighted
feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi

Upgraded to fibre last week and the first couple days had excellent speeds and ping since then speeds have varied massively.... i suspect DLM is to blame....will it settle down after  10 days ? i do speed tests at different times of the day,i have a guaranteed speed of 32.4mbps but it never gets over 30mbps now.. yesterday was very up & down ?

I have two pcs connected wired & other things on wifi  speed tests are similar on both iam connected directly into master socket & using a TP-Link AC750 Modem Router

Phone line seems crystal clear

Many thanks

Feasty

Community Team

Hi feasty,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections which can affect the sync speed. Just to confirm, is your connection also unstable or have you been rebooting/switching off the router?

Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can see how the connection stats compare?

Thanks

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle

Thanks for reply,connection seems fairly stable as far as iam aware,it has disconnected once plus router has been accidentally switched off a couple of times the last time being 3rd Dec i think

How many re-connections have there been & when was last one ?

Master socket does have a test socket but worried it would cause another connection problem/slowdown when i swap it over ?

Ive just gone into router settings stats and its showing alot of errors downstream/upstream what does that mean ? ive attached stats so you can see

DSL
Line Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Type: VDSL2
Annex Type: Annex B
  Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps)999532400
Max Rate(kbps)1254541865
SNR Margin(dB)88.5
Line Attenuation(dB)29.820.8
Errors(pkts)5777633

Cheers

Feasty

Community Team

Hi feasty

It would be worth connecting the router at the test socket to rule out any possible internal wiring or face plate faults.

If possible please can you leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs whilst BT's DLM is monitoring the connection?

Thanks

Debbie

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Thanks for quick reply,i will do that now

Will let you know if connection improves in a couple of days

Cheers

Feasty

Community Team

Hi feasty

Thank you. Please post back on this thread on Thursday and I will check the sync speed.

Debbie

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi

Router has been in test socket for a couple of days as requested,has there been any re-connections ? ive not noticed any,speed still not vey stable upload has dropped & ping has gone up to more than what it was on ADSL ? need a low ping for gaming

Many thanks

Feasty

Community Team

Hi Feasty

The connection appears to have remained stable since 05/12 and the line is in sync at 32.4mb

What speeds are you receiving when running speed tests?

Thanks

Debbie

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Thats good,is it ok to leave modem plugged into test socket think it had a filtered faceplate maybe thats what was causing problems ?

Download speed at best is 30.2mb & upload 8.4mb ping has dropped back down which is good !

Cheers

Feasty

Community Team

Hi feasty

It will be fine to leave the router at the test socket.

If you post back on the thread on  Monday then we can check the sync speed again.

Thanks

Debbie

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Thats great will leave in test socket.

Ping has dropped & upload speed increased which is good !

Will post back on Monday have a good weekend.

Cheers

Feasty

Community Team
feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Has there been any re-connections over the weekend ?

Connection has seemed fairly stable which is good

Cheers

Feasty

Community Team

Hi Feasty

Thanks for posting back on this thread.

I've checked the connection logs again and there have been some re connections (1 a day) but the sync speed has increased to 35mb.

Thanks

Debbie

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

What could be causing re-connections Router maybe ? although its brand new !

Cheers

Feasty

Community Team

Hi Feasty

Are you using the HG633 or the DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie

feasty
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Neither !! iam using a new TP-Link VR200 was recommended by someone not had much success with talktalk own routers was sent the HG633 for Fibre but everyone i know using it has had problems with it so didnt bother

Connection has seemed better over the weekend should i stick with the TP-Link & see how things go or will it cause problems if its causing re-connectiions

Cheers

Feasty