cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Frequent WiFi Drop outs

23 REPLIES 23
Participant

For the last few weeks we've been suffering frequent WiFi connection issues. 

The WiFi will drop out several times a day, sometimes for a second or two sometimes for considerably longer. Wired connections (TV, PS4 and sky box are unaffected).

The router is connected to the master socket, I have changed the cable fro the socket to the router and the filter with no difference. I have disconnected all devices and connected them one by one but it still happens when only one device is connected. Resetting the router sometimes helps but I am loathed to do that all the time. I work from home two days a week and need a stable connection.

Current router is an HG635. 

Is there any way I can get a replacement router as I don't know what else the problem could be.

Thanks.

Community Star

This is not likely to be a router fault, but it may need some changes made to its configuration. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The HG635 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and the default router password of admin as well.

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Participant

Thank you Keith. I have amended the Wireless 5 GHz SSID field. Coud you send the the guide please.

Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Participant

Thanks Keith. I'll run the analysis this evening and post the results.

Participant

Ok strange one. I split the 2.4 and 5GHz as you suggested. I've been monitoring using Acrylic for the last couple of hours and the 5G SSID doesn't show up on Acrylic (or on any of our devices). I've doubled checked that I've split them correctly. Here are the screenshots for the 2.4 SSID but the 5GHz doesn't seem to be working. Any thoughts?

2.4 signal strength.JPG2.4 network quality.JPG2.4 Networks.JPG

Participant

Ok, this morning the 5G band is still not showing on Acrylic or any devices but drop outs on the 2.4 band are happening - example below. Had to reset the router after about 8 minutes.

dropout1.JPGdropout2.JPGdropout3.JPG

Community Star

Does the PC running Acrylic have a wireless adapter in it that supports the 5GHz band, if not you will not see this band at all?

You are suffering a lot of WiFi interference & I would strongly suggest you try moving to channel 11 (you can only use channels 1,6 or 11 as they are the only non-overlapping channels). The guide I sent you does show how to change channels.

There are also three massive spikes from some other networks. I cannot work out what networks they are, as I do not think the position of your scrollbar in the AP summary shows them:-

Acrylic.png

Once you have made the channel change then please get me a fresh set of screenshots.

Keith

Participant

Changed to channel 11 and let it run for a while. Another set of screenshots attached.

11-1.JPG11-2.JPG11-3.JPG

Participant

You were right about the 5GHz channel, my laptop souldn't see it. Looked on my phone and it was there so have run the android wfif analyser. Screeenshots below.

Screenshot_2019-06-03-10-38-02.pngScreenshot_2019-06-03-10-38-11.pngScreenshot_2019-06-03-10-38-29.pngScreenshot_2019-06-03-10-38-49.pngScreenshot_2019-06-03-10-39-16.pngScreenshot_2019-06-03-10-39-25.pngScreenshot_2019-06-03-10-39-00.png

Community Star

As per my previous post, please see one of your screenshots below that I have edited to try and illustrate your problem. You have numerous networks that spike right through your signal at a much higher signal strength than yours. By using the colours they are displayed in and using the scrollbar of the top summary window to identify what networks they are (obviously with your screenshots the networks shown based on the scrollbar's position means I cannot identify them easily):-

Networks breaking through.png

Keith

Community Star

Your 5GHz signal has a very low signal strength, how far away from the router are you?

However, you really need to take heed of my previous post if you want a reliable 2.4GHz band.

Keith

Participant

Router is in living room, i'm in dining room next door.

I'll try and identfy the networks that are spiking but obviously I haven't got any influence over them so  I can't stop it happening

Participant

The networks that are spiking are BTwifi, mesh32,sky032bb, hidden, skyf1553

btwifi.JPGsky032bb.JPGhidden.JPGmesh32.JPGskyf1553.JPG

Community Star

OK, I just wanted to make sure some of them weren't any devices such as printers or wifi extenders of yours, which clearly they aren't.

I think all that can be done (also with your low 5GHz signal strength), is to focus on your router's location, to see if addressing this can improve the 5GHz and maybe reduce the severity of some of these spikes.

Please see the first three sections of my "Maximise Wi-Fi Performance" guide attached.

Keith

Participant

Ok Keith, thanks for looking at it. I will alter the position of the router this eveving and see if that makes a difference.

Could one of the Talktalk OCE's respond regarding the possibility of a new router please. Both neighbours are on Sky fibre with no wifi drop outs so from a lay mans perspective it makes sense that it could be a hardware problem.

Community Star

I will ask the OCEs for you now.

Keith

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Adetrick,

I can arrange to send a HG633 or a d-link 3782, if you use a VPN when working from home then the 633 is probably the better option - which would you like me to send? (you could also receive another HG635 depending on stock levels)

Chris

Participant

Hi Chris, yes I do use a VPN when working from home so if there is stock of the 633 that would be great but to be honest I'd be happy with anything just so I can compare it to my existing router and rule out a hardware problem. Thanks for replying

Community Team - TT Staff

I've ordered a HG633, should be with your within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris