would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Frequent connection drop outs

21 REPLIES 21
FU5ION
Chat Champion

Hi,

Haven't had much luck with the live chat so I thought I'd try here.

My fibre wifi connection is quite unstable. When I ping I get frequent "request timed out".

Live chat sent me out a new router (D-Link DSL-3782) which didn't improve anything.

I can confirm that the issue occurs on multiple devices at the same time.

Router has been restarted for more than 30mins already.

~FU5ION~

My Multimedia Portfolio: jalproductions.co.uk
Community Team

Hi FU5ION,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, is the connection stable if you connect wired?

Is the replacement router the same make and model as the original router? Have you tried a few different wireless channels to see how the stability compares?

Thanks

FU5ION
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

So I ran a continuous ping connected via ethernet and after 10+ minutes I had 0% packet loss and the average round trip time was 13ms (range: 13-14).

I then tried on wifi with the laptop next to the router and the average time was 17ms and occasionally it would jump up to 100ms+ or a "request timed out" which would result in a noticeable lag/drop in my connection when browsing and playing games.

So this pretty much determines that it is a wifi issue.

I have used the wifi analyser Android app and tried to switch to the least crowded channel however that didn't cause any improvements.

I need to run some further tests across multiple devices but I'm pretty sure that the high round trips/time outs occur at the same time.

EDIT: Can confirm.

Any further advice, other than calling out an engineer, would be much appreciated!

~FU5ION~

Community Team

Hi FU5ION,

Ok thanks for the update. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then please let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

FU5ION
Chat Champion

Sorry I forgot to reply to that in my last message!

The previous router was a different make: HG633.

If, by an alternate router, you mean a non-talktalk one then I do not.

~FU5ION~

Community Team

Hi FU5ION

I can send a HG633 router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

FU5ION
Chat Champion

Would you be able to check the live chat logs as to why they replaced that HG633 router in the first place?

~FU5ION~

Community Team

Hi FU5ION

What date did you contact TalkTalk in regards to the HG633 router?

Thanks

Debbie

FU5ION
Chat Champion
I don't have the exact date but I think it was mid-Feb.
~FU5ION~

Community Team

Hi FU5ION

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you also send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account.

Debbie

Community Team

Hi FU5ION

It appears that the HG633 was sent for a no sync fault.

I can send another HG633 for testing or we can send a DSL3782 router.

Thanks

Debbie

FU5ION
Chat Champion

They're the exact same routers as what I already have so whatever you think is best.

In the meantime, what else can I try to remedy the issue?

~FU5ION~

Community Team

Hi FU5ION

If this is only affecting affecting the wireless connection then @KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance.

Could you help please Keith?

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @FU5ION 

Debbie has asked me to help you with this wireless issue. I am not sure from a quick look if you are using the 3782 still or an HG633.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Most TalkTalk routers are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http😕/192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), DSL-3782 (V1.10) and the TalkTalk Home Hub. To use this leave both network names identical and on the HG633 enable Band Steering from the initial Wi-Fi menu.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

FU5ION
Chat Champion

Thanks for your help Keith, appreciate it. Let me answer your questions and add some more findings.

I am currently still using the 3782. I'm currently using the least crowded channel after observing Wifi Analyser on Android.

When I experience the high ping times, the lights on the router remain the same, power and broadband are solid green and internet and wireless are flashing green. I tested a wired connection yesterday and I experience no drops.

I currently have both 2.4 and 5GHz enabled with different SSIDs.

My PC can only connect to 2.4 with my current wifi adapter and my phone can connect to either (currently 5GHz). I have been running pings on both devices and the dropouts occur at the same time.

If it's any help, I've been running pings on my PC to both 192.168.1.1 and google.co.uk and again, the dropouts occur at the same time. I presume this means it's something to do with the connection between the devices and the router?

I'll give band steering a go and see how that fairs.

Please do send me the guide so I can take a look at what it entails.

Thanks,

James

~FU5ION~

KeithFrench
Community Star

You probably don't need the guide, just send me screenshots of all views from the Wi-Fi Analyser.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

FU5ION
Chat Champion

2G: Red network

Screenshot_20190313-152714.jpgScreenshot_20190313-152750.jpgScreenshot_20190313-152806.jpgScreenshot_20190313-152813.jpg

My understanding is that I should choose the channel with the smallest and least number of "humps", is that correct?

5G: Fluctuates between approximately -90 and -80.

Screenshot_20190313-152834.jpg

~FU5ION~

FU5ION
Chat Champion

Also my 3782 is currently on firmware version 1.08t and does not have the band steering option.

Can an OCE push the update please?

~FU5ION~

KeithFrench
Community Star

I can't be sure when band steering was introduced, it is certainly in V1.10, but there are no configuration options, you just set both SSIDs the same. Currently though, that is not your problem.

The signal strength that you are receiving from the router is very weak. This could be the router at fault, it could be the network adapter in your PC, or anything in between them.

Assuming that you have no extenders or anything similar, just the router, please can you describe your setup?

Roughly where in the property is the router & what is around it in the way of TVs, speakers metal objects & fish tanks etc? Where is the PC & is that near anything similar. Is the PC a laptop or desktop & if a desktop, is the adapter inside the case (PCI PCI-e slot) or in a USB socket? Where are the adapter's antennae, behind the case & if USB & internal antennae, where is the USB adapter itself located?

What is in between them any concrete walls, metal objects, wall/ceiling insulation covered in foil?

Keith

FU5ION
Chat Champion

The wifi strength on the PC is a lot better than on the phone. The PC usually has 3-4 out of 4 bars of signal.

I don't have any extenders.

The router is near the front of the house downstairs. My PC is upstairs towards the back of the house. The straight line distance from the router to the PC is around 8 metres, passing through the ceiling and one wall. Not sure about the insulation.

PC adapter is an external USB TP-Link TL-WN722N, plugged in to the USB port on the top of the tower with the antenna pointed towards the router.

As mentioned previously, I also tried using a laptop right next to the router and experienced the same timeouts.

~FU5ION~