Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Frequent discconects and outages

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
First Timer

Had our connection for a few months with no problems. The past week the connection has been dropping more and more often and staying down. 

We have checked all of our setup and can find no problems.

Please can someone help?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ruthkat ,

Are you able to log into the 'My Account' site, this will allow you to go to the service centre and do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is a fault on your line.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have dial tone and no noise on the line).

For one of the TalkTalk OCE's on this forum to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number & alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

They probably won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week

Highlighted
First Timer
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We've tried the test feature via My account. It said there was a fault and they would email. Received email saying there was no fault!!! Internet is now unusable as it drops almost as soon as it reconnects.
Don't have a landline phone, will see if we can borrow one to test the line.
Thanks for your help, will update my profile if the internet stays up long enough! 🙂
Highlighted
Community Star

@Ruthkat ,

If the service centre test didn't find a fault, or told you the fault was likely to be in your home, it would be worth trying connecting your router to the test socket (if you have one) in your telephone master socket. You can only do this if you have the type of socket that has a test socket.

More details can be found here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-master-sockets/ta-p/2205432

Highlighted
First Timer

Morning,

We've had spotty internet for most of the weekend and it was down all night last night.

We do not appear to have a test socket (master socket 5C ) however we did notice that the face plate on the socket was loose. Not sure if that could cause issues?

We've tightened it up so we'll see how today goes. If a line check could still be done that would be great.

Thanks again 🙂

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ruthkat,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection does look very unstable. The 5c master socket should have a test socket. Do you also have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to us and checking the line.

We will have another look at the socket and see if we can borrow a different router from a friend. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Ruthkat

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello,

We have noticed an improvement over the past two weeks and haven't had as many problems.

We have changed nothing as we haven't been able to get another router.

However, it's now back to dropping again. Getting really frustrated with this.

If you could send a replacement router that would be great. Thank you

Could you please also provide a contact telephone number for your cancellations dept.

Many thanks

Highlighted

Hi Ruthkat,

I've ordered a router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery. 

(Please also see this help article - Cancel your TalkTalk service)

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello,

We have replaced the router and the cables and have seen no improvement.

Is there anything else that you can suggest?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Ruthkat

Apologies for this.

Is the replacement router connected at the test socket? The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello,

The router is now connected to the test socket. We have had a couple of short patches of downtime but seems more stable.

However our download speed has dropped to less than 1MB/s making it nearly impossible to reliably stream things.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Ruthkat,

Thanks for the update and for connecting the router at the test socket. If the connection now remains stable at the test socket then DLM should start to increase the sync speed over the next 24-48hrs. If there is still no improvement then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello again 🙂

We have been connected to the test socket for about a week now. We have seen no improvement in download speed. Hovering around 500 k/bs. 

We are experiencing disconnections again but not as frequently.

Can we arrange for an engineer please?

Many thanks

Highlighted

Hi Ruthkat

Apologies for this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie