Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Frequent disconnects for past week

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Chatterbox

So this past week I've been getting disconnects again and it's doing my head in.  Playing a game online and bam - Network Lag.  I stare at the router and off it goes flashing orange at me for a minute or so and then reconnects.

There is no timing and no correlation to anything.  It can do it once per evening, or it will do it over and over again for a good 30 minutes then be fine for hours on end.  I had similar in mid August and did an online chat which basically proved nothing because chances are if you switch everything off and on again it will reconnect again anyway. And that's what happened.  The online guy would neither confirm or deny if he found anything/changed anything so I was none the wiser.  And to be honest I don't want to go through mucking around with all that again.

As I type during this post it has disconnected again!

After the August bout of it being really bad(worse that this week) it has been perfect for weeks and weeks. I've changed nothing at all:

Phone line is never connected so can't blame that.

Same PC plugged in via new ethernet cable

Load of devices over wifi

I would like this resolved because the previous 2 years of having BT Fibre followed by NOW TV I reckon I lost about 2 evenings through a network outage. 

Since having TalkTalk for about 6 months I've lost evening after evening of ropey connections which isn't acceptable. 

I don't want to have this for another 12 months until I can leave.

Any help would be greatly received.

Highlighted
Philosopher

As you broadband comes down the PHONE LINE, if that has an intermittent connection then bang goes your broadband.

Suggest you plug in a phone and see if it actually works.

What happens to the phone service when you get disconnected ?

Is your incoming line overhead or underground ?

Could there be an issue with trees or corrosion at the incoming point ?

Have you tried connecting to the test socket, if you have one ?

Don't forget you need a micro filter when doing this.

Martin
Highlighted
Chatterbox

What happens to the phone service when you get disconnected ? Nothing, working perfectly when I've plugged that in.  Don't use landline so no point leaving it on generally as no one will call on it.

Is your incoming line overhead or underground ?

Underground

Could there be an issue with trees or corrosion at the incoming point ?

Anything is possible.  I think it daisy chains via my next door neighbours back to the manhole outside our houses.

Have you tried connecting to the test socket, if you have one ?

Not for any definite period of time.  Because normally after a few reconnects(sometimes just 1) it settles so never both mucking around. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi bobothebear80

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Have updated my profile

My wife said it was down most of yesterday until she switched off and back on again then fine in the evening when I got in.

Has text me just now to say it's been up and down most of the day. 

Highlighted

Hi bobothebear80

We will run some line tests and come back to you. 

Highlighted

Hi @bobothebear80

Line tests have failed so we will pass this out to Openreach hopefully they will go out in the next 48 hours. 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Great thanks,

So the wife said it's been fine this morning.

Would a line fault cause intermittent behaviour like we are seeing rather than total outage then?

Highlighted

Yes, the fault was a High Resistance fault meaning there is intermittent noise and if it gets too much for the line it will interrupt the connection