Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

G Fast Upgrade speeds very dissapointing

17 REPLIES 17
paulg17
First Timer

Hi, I have recently upgraded to G Fast, ( Now over 14 days ) and have to say I have hardly noticed any improvement over my previous connection which was 76mb, the G Fast is quoted at 300mb and seems to be right on the line speed, But I'm just not seeing anywhere near those figures at all, The best I have seen over the last 14 days was 250mb, But after having a couple of power cuts I can barely see 100mb, Distance to the fibre cabinet is 80m approx. of copper cable and when Bt Openreach were installing the modem they said the line could take over 700mb, I have an upgraded T Link Archer VR2800 router which is a definite improvement over the TalkTalk router, Could someone possibly have a look into this please, Thanks.

Community Team

Hi paulg17

Your sync speed looks good. Have you powered down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test?

What device are you running the speed tests on? Is the performance of the connection ok?

Thanks

Debbie

paulg17
First Timer

Hi Debbie, I use my dell laptop wired to my Tp Link  Archer VR 2800, which is then connected by CAT 7 cable to the BT Modem, Like I said in the post I had 2 power cuts in the last 14 days both of which lasted just over 30 mins, the last one was on Monday, so dont really want to power down again unless I have to, The performance of the connection is fine other than those power cuts,  Would I only need to power down my router ? or both the router and modem ?, Regards Paul.

Community Team

Hi paulg17,

If you were previously receiving faster speeds then it may be worth trying the 30 minute router power down one more time just to see if the throughput speeds do improve as this will reset the current session. What speeds do you receive on other devices?

Thanks

paulg17
First Timer

Hi Debbie, I have tried using my Razor stealth laptop which is wireless and the speeds are about the same, So to be clear am I only powering down my router and NOT the Bt Openreach modem ? Regards Paul.

Community Team

Hi paulg17,

I would power them both down for 30 minutes then switch the modem back on first and router 5 minutes later

Chris

paulg17
First Timer

Cheers Chris, I will give that a try later today, Regards Paul. 

Community Team

Hi Paul

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

paulg17
First Timer

Just a quick update, after posting on here originally the speeds improved and at one point got upto 290-300mbps, that was without powering down both the modem and router, But by the end of last week and the weekend the speeds dropped dramatically, So on Sunday as suggested I powered down both modem and router for over 30 mins, the speeds are still very poor so far with the TalkTalk speed test the most I can get is 90mbps, and the best on other test sites including BT Wholesale is 140mbps, I will leave it another week to see if things improve further, 

Community Team

Hi paulg17,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Have you noticed if the speeds seem to drop at certain times of the day or is this completely random?

Thanks

paulg17
First Timer

Hi Michelle, its not random, its permanently slow now, It doesent seem to matter what time i check the speeds, it never gets above 140mbps on other testing sites, and no more than 90mbps on talk talk, tried very early mornings and even after 11pm, still no difference, with the talk talk speed check , when you click live test it tells me they acknowledge my speeds are not as good as promised  and has an orange icon, yet it still says 330mb, Regards Paul.

Community Team

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information 

When was the last time your tried the TalkTalk router?

Chris

paulg17
First Timer

I can 100% guarantee it’s not the router, the router itself has a speed test built in and shows it’s 307mbps and 48mbps upload.  This hasn’t really deviated over the last few weeks , when the new fibre upgrade was installed I tried it and is was inferior to my own , I am not swapping routers as this also has a print server built in and need this function for my business, which I run from home , Regards Paul 

Community Team

Hi paulg17,

Ok thanks for the update. The line test is still clear and the sync speed looks consistent. Could you run a wired ping and trace route and post the results into the thread and we can ask our Network Team to take a further look at this.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

paulg17
First Timer

Thanks Michelle, i will do those later,  when i have been doing the speed testing to uk sites the ping times have been very good, ranging from 3ms to 13ms depending on how far away in the uk the servers are, Talk Talk is usually 13ms, Regards Paul.

Community Team
paulg17
First Timer

Hi, just to let you know the speed is back up to normal now, no idea why, I also switched to a DFS channel on my router which has improved the Wi-Fi speeds too, almost as good as a wired connection, So thanks very much for your assistance, Regards Paul.

Community Team

Hi paulg17,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks