Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

G.fast activation problems ongoing

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi,

I'm having major issue in getting my new g.fast line activated following a house move - I was supposed to go live on the 02nd August!

I posted previously: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Automatic-compensaiton/m-p/2609103#M284230

Since then I have had 3 OpenReach visits, which have supposedly fixed line faults, however the issues are still not resolved

The error I have been getting for the past 3+ weeks is that on the g.fast modem the 'Internet' light does not ever illuminate, & on all wireless clients (tablet/phone etc), upon connecting they are pointed towards an address at http://connectionerror.testingbb.com by default.

A google search for that address brings me back to this forum, & I see this issue mentioned previously, but there are no explanations as to what causes it. It's hinted at that it's a Talktalk customer profile configuration issue, possibly related to migrating services between properties, but no definite fix is posted.

I am connected directly to the Openreach modem over ethernet & am able to ping addresses & run treaceroutes to remote addresses (bbc.co.uk etc) - all seems ok from that side of things & the line is clearly active/working as i'd expect - it is just not connected.

Talktalk were going to send an Openreach engineer again, but after 1hr+ on the phone we got to a place where we agreed that there is absolutely nothing more openreach can physically do in my property. Talktalk have now said they are going to send me a 'new' g.fast compatible hub that has only been in service for a few weeks (Anyone know what this is?), & a Talktalk engineer to assist with installing it, but i'm fairly convinced that will not move the issue forward, unless there is some known fault with using the Openreach g.fast Huawei MT.992 modem, but I can't find any reference to one?

Can anyone who is technically informed please help? I've tried to be patient but i've been without service for 6 weeks now & It's just going round and round in circles between Talktalk and Openreach. 

Highlighted
Repeat Guest
The Huawei modem is pretty decent , I’ve used them on a few G.fast installs but as they were for businesses they were used wth Draytek 2862ac routers. Having seen other posts on these forums I think the issue is more with TalkTalks routers. You said you connected wired to the modem to ping, did you try accessing web pages too? You might need to manually set you DNS to say 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 and leave the IP on DHCP
The world is thinner in some places.
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Yes, webpages will not load when connected direct to the modem - doesn't get past 'connecting to...', & wireless connections via a router just give the error as per the above.

I did try alternative DNS servers - I put my wireless router in circuit in router-only mode & had the google DNS servers specified in that - but it makes no difference.

I can't connect to my VPN either.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I should add the obvious - I have a ringtone on the phone & have done since the first Openreach engineer visited, but cannot dial any numbers - try to dial & I just get the long beeeeeeep of a disconnected line.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi MasterFridge,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can discuss this further

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

I've just completed the verification.

Worth adding - I haven't yet been given a new phone line number, so I used my old number from my old address, the one that is still showing in my Talktalk online account as "INFLIGHT", however when requesting my account be moved to my new address & my Faster150 service starting, I was specifically asked by Talktalk if I wanted to keep my old number to which I replied 'No' as I don't use the landline.

Cheers,

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I've done some further investigation into this issue:

From the guidance in this thread:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Sign-in-request-wheb-connected-to-WiFi/td-p/2574376

I dialled 17070 from home phone & my number given is different to that in my online talktalk account (which is still my old number)

From reading, looks like this supports the idea it's an issue with lack of authentication & Talktalk still need to do something / press a button?

Highlighted

Hi MasterFridge 

I've replied to your PM

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted

Hi MasterFridge,

Thanks for the PM and for the update. Has the router arrived since your last post? Which router do you currently have at the moment?

Thanks