Need help?

Gfast Internet issues since upgrading

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris, 

I’ve set up the new Sagemcom router.

It worked straight out of the box!!!

I’ve now got WiFi back. 

what on earth is the difference between this one and the previous 3? I’ve done exactly the same with all of them. 
Are you able to arrange some returns packaging - I was only sent one and I need two more. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

That's great news glad to hear the new router is working. I've no idea why the other 3 routers wouldn't work, our product team couldn't think of any reason why the routers wouldn't work other than the cable being connected to the wrong port on the router.

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Lolaromy,

I've ordered a couple of returns bags as requested 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

I connected the cables to the correct WAN port each time. The only thought I have is that at least two but maybe all 3 of the previous routers were first connected to the modem using the lead supplied by the Openreach engineer. Is it possible that deactivated the WAN port in some way so that it didn’t work when the lead supplied with the router was used instead? 

Do I need to contact Customer Services about packaging for return of the 3 routers?

Thanks

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Putting in my 2p's worth!

I've once come across a situation where something likely to be similar happened; some new (at the time) IP phones at my old place of work would simply refuse to connect with the network, much to the puzzlement (and embarrassment - they had been singing high praises for that model of phone!) of the IT dept. This also posed a problem because the phones were wired in series (daisy chained) between the network sockets on the wall and the work PC (i.e. a network cable from the network socket on the wall to the 'in' socket on the phone, and another network cable from the 'out' socket to the PC network socket). If the phones wouldn't connect it meant the PC's wouldn't either. Some had to have their PC's directly connected to the wall network socket.

They did find a solution some time later - by a slight mess-up; they had tried crossover cables (1 - 3, 2 - 6, 3 - 1, 4 - 4, 5 - 5, 6 - 2, 7 - 7, and 8 - 8), but they didn't work either. Someone made up their own network cable some time earlier but had inadvertently swapped the wires for pins 1 and 2 on one end of the cable. i.e instead of being 1 - 1, 2 - 2, 3 - 3, etc, it was 1 - 2, 2 - 1, 3 - 3, 4 - 4, etc. Somehow or other, they found that the new phones were now connecting by using cables with the same wrong wiring.

How that came to be is anyone's guess as in theory that simply shouldn't be! Some think that the network 'in' socket on the phones may have been wrongly manufactured/wired during assembly, other think the autoMDI-X (the process to determine which pins are used for Transmit and Receive) between phone and work network switches were 'allergic' (for want of a better word) to each other when using properly wired cables.

Maybe the first few routers you had may have some quirk(s) which meant they didn't 'like' the modem whereas this one now does 'like' it. Or, as you imply, maybe the new cable is a better fit (both mechanically and electrically). Some inferior network cables use aluminium wires, or even steel - I once cut open a bad cable and found white aluminium oxide crumbling from the wires inside!

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for your input and information. There’s obviously got to be a logical explanation but I don’t suppose I’ll ever know. It would be interesting to follow the path of the routers now to see if one gets re-issued to another g.fast customer. I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked straight off. It would also be interesting if the WAN port was able to be tested as everything seems to indicate that it had somehow been deactivated either because of  a physical issue or because of some firmware glitch.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

"It would be interesting to follow the path of the routers now to see if one gets re-issued to another g.fast customer. I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked straight off"

Neither would I! 😂 

Highlighted

Hi Lolaromy,

Thanks for the update. Have you received the router returns bags?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

I’ve got one return bag that arrived with the most recent router. The other two were received without bags. I have not received bags for these yet. Can I ask:

Is it normal to lose Internet connection occasionally until the line settles down? It’s generally ok and I’m happy with the speed but it has dropped out a few times since it started working. Once was for several minutes. I’ve read elsewhere that it can take up to 10 days. Is that correct?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Lolaromy,

Thanks for the update. I can see OCE_Chris has requested additional router returns bags so please let us know if these do not arrive by today. If DLM has been reset then it can take up to 10 days for DLM to fully optimise the connection to find the best balance between stability and speed for the line.

Thanks