Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

GirraficUDP port setup on my router as UPNP rule, i did not set up the port

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
Sightseer

Hi i have a port forwarding rule setup on my router which i did not enable and i cannot seem to find the switch to disable upnp on my router.

I have no idea what Giraffic is and also it is set up to a DHCP IP address i do not recognise.

Any ideas what it is and what i can do to remove the rule (there is no remove or delete rule option in its entry unlike the manual port forwards i have set up for my online games)

Thank you

Community Star

What make/model of router do you have? Hopefully then I will be able to help you remove this.

I haven't heard of this either, but Google Girrafic comes up with this, if it helps:-

Giraffic is a company that develops "Distributed Adaptive Storage & Streaming" as well as had developed "Adaptive Video Acceleration” software that attempted to improve the performance of streaming video.

The source was Wikipedia.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Sightseer

its the sagemom make

model FAST5364 3

on the port forwarding section of the router there is a upnp section but no toggle for the service, just a section above the manual port creation part that has two fields that seem to be explained as related to upnp

the fields are currently set up showing this

Advertisement period - 1800

advertismentTTL- 4

there is a information box that cites UPNP IGD as follows

UPNP IGD allows games, peer-to-peer, remote assistance or others applications to automatically create port forwarding rules. This option can create a risk for the security of your local network, check list of rules in table below.
Community Star

In future please send screenshots, don't describe what they say.

UPnP is set up by the device in question and is normally of fairly short duration. No passwords are required making this very insecure/dangerous. Currently, UPnP is enabled in this router and cannot be disabled within the router's UI. I have requested it to be made user-selectable, so we will have to see what the next firmware revision brings & sorry, but I have no idea when this will be.

Can you ping this device's IP address?

How does it connect to the router via WiFi or a wired connection? If you are sure this device should not be connected, if wireless setup a MAC address filter for the WiFi band that it is using, you may have to do this on both bands. If wired, remove the Ethernet cable from the router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi TMurray86,

How are you getting on, has Keith's advice helped?

Chris

Sightseer
Hi Keith thanks for the replies

Yeah im fully able to MAC filter any device needed, only thing is, im not sure exactly what the girrafic udp port is and wether or not the port for it should be that concerning. What is more concerning is that a function such as UPnP is enabled as default on the router, there is no means that i can tell to easily turn UPnP off on the general settings page, and once a rule has created itself using UPnP there is no way to manually just delete the entry like there is for any ports I have forwarded manually.

UPnP is honestly such a standard setting to have control over, my mothers home internet (also through talk talk but on a huawei older router and connection) has a lot more manual controlability over things than these newer sagemcom routers it just surprised me when i couldnt find an easy way to fine tune certain features of the router.

Thanks for your help though
Community Star
Solution

Hence why, as I said, that I have requested that the developers make it a user-configurable setting.

Keith

Sightseer
Hi Chris

Put simply there is no easy solution to this issue, without as Keith has mentioned there being more control added to the router UI to allow users to enable and disabel features such as UPnP (these things are as Keith said incredibly insecure to be just left on by default and give user no control over hardly at all)

I would highly back Keiths request that this be addressed in a software update as soon as possible.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi TMurray86,

Thanks for your comments, I'm sorry for any inconvenience. I'll pass on your comments to our Product team

Chris