Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Going Round in Circles

81 REPLIES 81
xolptt
Conversation Starter

I've had FTTC since March 9th - min guaranteed speed 22.4.

Originally I connected at 21 - but over several weeks it dropped to 7. Every day or two router disconnects and reconnects at a lower speed.

I went through all the tests with router/master socket etc - then TT sent a Bright Sparks engineer who confirmed fault was on line outside my property - but changed my master socket just in case, Speeds stayed the same.

The fault was then passed to Openreach - the engineer said he couldn't find the fault, but reset the fibre ate cabinet - putting it back up to 22. Then over the next week it dropped every day down to 11. Another Openreach appointment was booked - and the second engineer kept me hangin around all day from 8am whilst he went to internal meetings etc - then came back at 4pm saying he'd changed some connectors at cabinet. The speed was up to 25, which was OK.

But over the next few days it's now dropped to 21 - and I fear I'm back in the cycle of speed drops every day or two.

I've spent hours on the phone and days waiting for appointment - one they failed to turn up - and the total compensation is a joke at £11 - even though if I'd missed an engineers appointment it would cost me £65!

I don't know what to do now - because I fear another engineer is the only solution - and the only think he'll do is reset it and the cabinet, then it'll drop back every day or two until I'm back down to 7 --- a slower speed than I was getting on ADSl.

xolptt
Conversation Starter

I forgot to add the first Openrech engineer changed my master socket again - for one with built in filter - but that made no difference either.

Community Team

Hi xolptt,

I'm sorry to hear this and we can look into this further for you. Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

xolptt
Conversation Starter

Today my line has developed a lot of noise - hissing and crackling - the router won't stay connected more than minutes and the connection speeds are very low. Even picking phone hanset up cuts the internet off. I've had to call TT again and they've opened a new complaint - but they can't get back to me with further information until Monday evening! They said last two Openreach Engineers I had were Broadband Engineers - and now I'll need a Line Engineer <at this point the connection dropped again>  --- I would have thought they would have passed fault to a Line Engineer if they couldn't fix it, seeing their handheld device showed a line fault --- not just go away and wait until I have to complain again. It's getting to seem like I'm spending most of my time trying to get a working broadband.

Community Team

Hi xolptt

If you would like us to help, we still need you to update your community profile. 

Thanks

xolptt
Conversation Starter

Not sure anyone can help - had latest Openreach visit on Wednesday 9th May - said he'd connected me to a different cable, but the fault was somewhere underground and if it persisted they'd have to traffic light off the road for an engineer to go into some manhole! The line was OK for 2 days - then this morning the line noise was back. Called TT and they go through the same rigmerole of scripted checks that I've already performed 10 times before.Now I'm back to 'monitoring the connection' for a few days - and it may need an engineer visit!! I'm losing the will to live with the hours I've spent on the phone and days waiting for engineers 🙂 This noise has been a problem since February 2017 - but first reported September 2017 - getting worse after fibre installed in March this year. It appears nobody can resolve the problem for more that 2 or 3 days.

Community Team

Hi xolptt

Looks like an engineer has been booked for May 15 2018, in the morning. 

let us know what happens after the visit. 

xolptt
Conversation Starter

Yes - I was on phone to TT for about 90 minutes this morning. Noise was constant and connection dropping every few minutes. I went out this afternoon and noticed an engineer in the cabinet I'm connected to. When I got home the noise on my line has stopped and the router had reconnected at 6452/14999 Kbps - whereas this morning it was 500/14999 Kbps when the noise was there. My minimum guaranteed speed is 22400 - and after last Openreach visit it was at 25200 for 2 days.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence the noise has gone and conicides with an engineer in the cabinet - I'll ask the engineer tomorrow. At least the connection is stable this evening at 14999.

Community Team

Thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on

Chris

xolptt
Conversation Starter

The engineer came this morning and decided to go up ladder and change connecions between two telegraph poles after doing some tests - it took her about an hour, but the sync speed went up from the 14999 to 36000 - no noise on line and connection seems stable. I'm happy at the moment as these are the best speeds had - hope it lasts.

Community Team

Hi xolptt,

Thanks for keeping us updated and let us know how both the stability and speed compares over the next few days 🙂

Thanks

xolptt
Conversation Starter

Well last night around 1am the router dropped connection and reconnected itself at slower sync of 32900 - this morning I've tried rebooting it a couple of times, but the sync speed stays about the same. I'll see how long it remains connected this time before it drops my speed again.

Community Team

Hi xolptt,

How have you found the connection and speed since your last post?

Thanks

xolptt
Conversation Starter

It's stayed connected since last post - router reports 4 days, 3 hours - and connected at 6215/32928 Kbps.  The phone line is still clear with no crackle/hum. Hopefully it'll stay connected - in the past the longest I ever stayed connected was 2 days, so 4 isn't bad.

Community Team

Hi xolptt,

Ok thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the stability has improved 🙂

Thanks

xolptt
Conversation Starter

Router was connected since last post - but today the noise is back on the line and the connection is dropping every few minutes. Last time it occurred when the weather got hot - exactly the same this time. Current connection speed is 909/17555 Kbps. I though they'd fixed it this time - but obviously not - the thought of another Openreach engineer fills me with dread.

xolptt
Conversation Starter
Symptoms are exactly same as last time - disconnect router and phone line is clear - reconnect the router and it's full of hisses, pops and crackles. It's what they call a high-resistance fault on the line, a joint or connection not making a good contact..
Community Team

Hi xolptt

Apologies for this.

Just to confirm, is this fault present with 2 different routers, cables and filters at the test socket? Once I've confirmed this then I can raise this fault back over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

xolptt
Conversation Starter

Yes I've tried all of that - but no difference. Just picking the phone up disconnects the internet - at the moment it's connected at 516/27399 Kbps - the upload speed is adversely affected.

Community Team

Hi xolptt,

I've raised this to our network team for further investigation, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks
Chris