Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Grrr Wifi Hub disconnects

ANSWERED
66 REPLIES 66
Conversation Starter

So I have been a TalkTalk customer since the end of September, initial installation hiccup was sorted and then everything running fine....

Then the last week or two I start getting random and numerous wifi disconnects on all of my devices at the same time, laptop, ipad, iPhone etc

Got to the point where is was happening every 20-30 mins before a router reboot would give a few hours stability

Read through the various posts here tried various things, checked wifi signal strength etc etc no material changes in house to suddenly start causing wifi interference (yes no xmas decorations or lights up yet!)

Eventually gave up on Sunday and contacted the support guys - 45 mins later after running the bulk standard line fault checks etc no issues found, they did something to the fancy wifi hub to renew the IP address and hey looked like stability was returned.

Sadly this morning wake up to find once again no wifi stability - cue another chat with the support teams who came up with the technical solution to reboot the router - ha, wifi connection returned and working yesss - go out for 3 hours come back and hey presto no wifi connection again - reboot and up she pops I then spend nearly 3 hours chatting to the talktalk tech guys who run various tests and run through their standard process scripts that are from what I have experienced quite useless (the scripts that is) and they do not listen to the information you are providing  (I used to run IT support teams for a large UK bank I know how these processes work and what a good experience should look like and what a bad experience feels like). Eventually after these nearly 3 hours of me telling the agent I believe the issue lies in the router not the line, not the wifi strength not anything else they haven't tried before I was left with 3 options

1. More diagnostics

2. A new wifi hub/router

3. An engineer visit at £40 just to tell me there is no fault on the line 

We did the more diagnostics to death during the 3 hours - and they agent eventually appeared to give up and try and flog me some wifi repeaters to boost signal strength - hey fella signal strength not the issue here was my response

He then tried to book the engineer visit for £40 saying that was the last option to which I said no we know there is no line fault you tested it 5-6-7 times in the last 4 days and we can make calls using the line when there is no wifi connection 

The agent had forgotten about sending out a new / different router to remove a faulty router out of the analysis... to which I politely reminded him we had 3 options we did option 1 more diagnostics now we do option 2 - replacement router 

It was at this point the conversation went downhill as the agent said yes we can send you a new TalkTalk router BUTTTTTT it will cost you £25 - now my issue here is its TalkTalks kit they supplied it and if the one I have potentially has developed a fault I have to buy more of their kit off them rather than a oh my gosh sorry sir yes we can replace that bit of kit for you no worries to see if it sorts out your constant wifi disconnects and we will provide a box to send the old one back in so our tech guys can take a look to see if this new wifi hub router has developed a fault.

Having expressed my dissatisfaction at having to pay £25 to replace TalkTalk kit which apparently becomes mine on delivery (wonder if TalkTalk will want the kit back when I don't renew my contract in arrgghhh 15 months as it was really their kit and they wanted me to pay through the nose)

At this point I think the agent closed down the online chat we were having without confirming they were going to send out a new wifi hub/router after I said better send it to me ASAP and I will take my cost issue up with your customer services people. Here is hoping or some nice TalkTalk customer services person reads this rant and gets in touch

Conversation Starter

Will try posting this again as my first attempt appears to have disappeared

So I have been a TalkTalk customer since the end of September, initial installation hiccup was sorted and then everything running fine....

Then the last week or two I start getting random and numerous wifi disconnects on all of my devices at the same time, laptop, ipad, iPhone etc

Got to the point where is was happening every 20-30 mins before a router reboot would give a few hours stability

The router logs show lots of weird things happening, many devices connecting / disconnecting on a regular basis, wifi security settings being saved messages numerous times, manual chanel hopping initiated from 36-40 then 40-36 with a lot of activity when I am asleep v early in the morning (I note other customers on other threads report similar)

Read through the various posts here tried various things, checked wifi signal strength etc etc no material changes in house to suddenly start causing wifi interference (yes no xmas decorations or lights up yet!)

Eventually gave up on Sunday and contacted the support guys - 45 mins later after running the bulk standard line fault checks etc no issues found, they did something to the wifi hub to renew the IP address and hey looked like stability was returned. Sadly this morning wake up to find once again no wifi stability - cue another chat with the support teams who came up with the technical solution to reboot the router - ha. Wifi connection returned and working yesss - go out for 3 hours come back and hey presto no wifi connection again - reboot and up she pops I then spend nearly 3 hours chatting to the talktalk tech guys who run various tests and run through their standard process scripts that are from what I have experienced quite useless, eventually get offered 3 options

1. More diagnostics

2. Replacement router to rule out wifi fault in router

3. BTOpenreach engineer visit at £40 just to say no line fault

We did the more diagnostics moving laptop and iPhone to infront of router etc couldn't find anything (as it hadn't started to do its disconnects due to the reboot an hour earlier). I did laugh when the TalkTalk agent asked me to reboot my iPhone (which they had been told was what I was using to talk to them on 4g data in case the connection dropped) a simple if I do that I will lose this chat and you with it was my reply !

I was eventually told no options left we can sell you a wifi booster kit - having already established wifi signal strength is not an issue from the diagnostics on my laptops network card and the tests the agent was running or we can book an engineer visit at £40 - now this is where the fun starts as i'm a cheapskate and having had numerous line tests done since sunday by the TalkTalk chaps and no issue found and being able to use the landline no issues when the wifi disconnects were actually happening i'm not convinced its a line issue and i'm dammed if I will spend £40 for a BTOpenreach engineer to pop around and look at a line that was a new install in September from top to bottom and declared fault free when installed

I pointed out the 2nd option which the agent had forgotten about, a replacement router to see if the shiny new TalkTalk WiFi hub had developed a fault with its Wifi (something I read a lot about on here). The agent answer was yes we can send a new router but it will cost £20 - to which I laughed and said buutttt its your kit why do you want to charge me, apparently it becomes my kit when it arrives not theirs. I protested at this charge but eventually said send me a new router ASAP as I cannot do with these constant wifi disconnects. I fear at that point the agent had left the chat as they did not confirm that was what they were going to do (guess it was home time and they scarpered) so I am now left wondering if my request for a new router will result in one turning up 

Having run IT support teams in a major UK bank I know what good and bad support experiences look like and feel like and at present I am not getting a good feeling on the TalkTalk support, they appear to be script / process orientated cant deviate, don't listen to all the information being provided and rather than get to the root cause and fix that they appear to concentrate on issue/incident resolution (you connected now) leading to the underlying root cause to remain undiscovered and unfixed which then leads to repeat incidents and calls (which costs TalkTalk money), is an inefficient model and leads to customer complaints

Hopefully some nice TalkTalk rep will see my post and confirm a new router is on its way to see if it resolves my issues

Community Star

It hasn't disappeared, I have merged your topics to avoid confusion.

If you would like the online support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

Conversation Starter

updated profile, thank you, new here don't know all the rules yet 🙂

Community Star

No worries, sit tight now and the team will get back to you.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential voice fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

Conversation Starter

Hi there

I am not experiencing any issues with the line, the phone has a clear dial tone and no detectable noise. The phone can make calls when I experience the wifi disconnects as was proven the other day during a dropout

The socket is an NTE5C so only has one exposed socket which has the adaptor / splitter in it for the fibre and phone line

None of the tests your TalkTalk tech team have run over the last week has indicated any potential fault with the line

Hi MikeD66

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to remove the lower section of the face plate and connect the router and filter at the test socket? We can then run another line test in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

i have taken the lower section of the faceplate off and sadly there appears to be no test socket, the only socket visible is the one in use by the current line, below that just a large gap / void 

Hi MikeD66

Would it be ok to post a photo of the master socket (with faceplate removed)

Thanks

Conversation Starter

been working on that for the last 10 mins shame the webpage doesn't accept jpeg images which is what the photo is saved as at present 😞

Conversation Starter

hopefully you can see this pdf

Hi MikeD66

I've completed a different test which is showing a possible line fault. I have passed this over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

ok thanks, I wont hold my breath though 😉

Hi MikeD66

I can see the photo, thank you. The test socket is the small hole near the top half of the socket.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Really? as that is where the live connection plugs in at present so the live socket is also the test socket how confusing I was looking for a secondary socket different to the live 

Hi MikeD66

Yes, if you connect a microfilter there first then you connect the phone and router at the filter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Sadly around 4:30pm today I appear to have lost my broadband connection again, router has a solid white light and the test connection says you are working on my fault

Conversation Starter

Sadly around 4:30pm today I appear to have lost my broadband connection again, router has a solid white light and the test connection says you are working on my fault

Conversation Starter

Then it came back just before 5pm only to disappear shortly after and reappear around 5:20pm can’t be precise was eating at the time and I was not able to connect my laptop to the router via Ethernet cable before connection returned to rule out WiFi issue throughout the router light remained constant white, no orange flashing etc which makes me wonder on its worth