Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Grrr Wifi Hub disconnects

ANSWERED
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mike,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear this. This does sound like it is related to the line fault detected which has been passed to Openreach. If you don't hear from or see any engineers outside the property today or over the weekend then please can you bump your thread on Monday and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

bumped

looks like btopenreach did something to the line on Saturday morning between 10:30 and 11am

connection has been stable since then

however connection speed has dropped was originally 33mps now just below 28mps on your tool on other tools reporting between 18mps-25mps, upload speed between 6-7mps

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I am also still seeing entries like these in the router logs which I do not understand as im still asleep at this point in time 

16.12.2019 06:20:56InfoWIFI
WiFi security settings have been successfully saved

16.12.2019 06:06:42InfoWIFI

16.12.2019 04:31:24InfoWIFI
Channel: (36/40) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And from just after I posted my last comment I have lost the ability to browse the internet, constant hmmmm can’t reach this page responses  on all my devices yet applications appear to be connected to the web and giving satisfactorily responses (online games etc which are normally the first to crash out and stop working)

router solid white light

your test tool says you are working on the issue as it’s detected a fault 

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66

The engineer did leave notes to advise that this fault should be resolved following work completed on the line.

The line test however is detecting a voice/landline fault. Do you have a dialtone or are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Can’t tell at present as I’m down the gym for a few hours now. When I tested phone line on Saturday had dial tone and appeared ok

whats odd is online games connect and work but web browsers on all devices stopped this morning after initially working currently posting using 4g data but first posts on here today was using laptop browser 

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66

Thanks for your reply.

If you could check the landline again when you get home as this is only fault being detected on the line tests.

If the line is clear and working ok then we can focus on the BB fault.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok back home, checked landline it has a dial tone and calls have been made on it today

checked broadband and it now appears to have totally gone, no web browsing and no connection to online games through various devices. Bb router showing solid white light and devices appear to see the router and connect to it

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66

Thank you for checking this.

The line is showing in sync and connected. Are any devices connected wired? Are they experiencing the same issue?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well I just went downstairs with my laptop to connect via Ethernet to see if WiFi or line issue and bobs yer uncle the laptop wired to router could browse, sadly I walked back upstairs and all the WiFi devices were also suddenly back and working 

so after a 5 hour outage I can see things again, however your live test app is still telling me you are working on my fault so it thinks there is still an issue

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

I think this message is in regards to a fault ticket raised previously and the last update advised that Openreach resolved a local network issue.

If you do experience the same issue again could you please test straight away wired so we know if this is affecting wired and wireless.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok will try it’s just sometimes it goes and comes back before I get a chance to get to the router and wire laptop in 😞

with reference to my earlier posts today, why am I seeing those messages in the logs, I thought I read elsewhere on another thread the saving WiFi settings message usually indicated a router reboot which hasn’t been done in 2 days and the manually changing channel message is the router doing something automatically as I am asleep at the time that took place and would involve me logging into the router and forcing a channel change to see that message

Highlighted

Hi Mike

Just to confirm, what are the messages you are receiving? How's the connection been since last night?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

i'm touching wood as I type this the connection appears to be stable so far today if still showing a slower speed than ive had before 27mps compared to 32-33mps

the messages I am seeing in the logs are

17.12.2019 04:31:10InfoWIFI
Channel: (40/36) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

17.12.2019 05:25:26InfoWIFI

there are at least 18 wifi security settings have been successfully saved logged today normally appearing in pairs with 2-3 seconds between them - this number is well up today usually in single figures (1 or 2 a day) 

the same with the channel hopping one every day around the same time in the morning I am guessing this is automated somehow within the router  or initiated by TalkTalk as the only way I can achieve this is to log onto the router and manually force a channel swap and given im fast asleep at that time and have left the router on all its default settings including channels then I cannot understand why I am seeing the message in the logs....

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just checked the logs and the channel hopping is a regular event at 04:31 in the morning either switching from 36-40 or 40-36 or from 1-11 or 11-1 so to me this is deffo some automated tasks either within the router or fired out over the network by TalkTalk which in my humble opinion is slightly flawed as channels have been changed on the router in the past on the advise of TalkTalk tech teams to rule out wifi interference and this automated task undoes those changes every morning which is just plain daft

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the stability compares over the next 24hrs. Our performance monitoring tool will only change channels when interference is detected.  It will learn about each device that is connected over time. Is this affecting the performance of the connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And there she blows @ 13:30 I lose my internet connection 

wired laptop into router to rule out WiFi issue and still no connection

router solid white light

landline has dial tone

so I guess we rule out WiFi interference and it’s a line/router/network issue 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And after 10 mins the internet returns

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And what I have also just done is move the 5ghz band to channel 100 well out of the channel range my SkyQ and SkyQ mini boxes use (36) - one would have thought being on 40 would have been space enough, what's the wager tomorrow morning its changed back to 40 🙂

I must admit I still don't get why it switches channels at the same time every morning 04:31am 

As an aside most of my devices use the 2.4ghz band on channel 6 before we jump to the its the SkyQ boxes causing wifi interference on channel 40 conclusion 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

15:50 I lose internet yet again on all devices

landline has dial tone 

router solid white light 

WiFi hub showing 6 devices connected