cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 Port Forwarding

8 REPLIES 8
Wizz Kid

I have an HG633 which I have had set up with port forwarding for 2 devices.  Because of other issues I have today carried out a Reset Factory Settings.  When I first set up port forwarding I found profiles withing Port Mapping for Heatmiser & IPCamera which I used.  Now when I look in Poet Mapping there are no such profiles.

Have I done something wrong or am I missing something!

Mac

Highlighted
Community Star

The problem with any preset port mapping is that they may not use the ports you expect, especially the IP Camera, as different cameras can use different ports. If you want to tell me which TCP or UDP ports that you need to forward & for what devices/applications, I will help you with this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Keith, Thanks for your offer of help.

I have two devices that need to be acessed externally.  A Foscam Camera on port 89 and a Heatmiser central heating control that needs 80 and 8078.

I have managed to get port 89 open and the camera works fine.  But when I try to open ports 80 and 8078,  I am sometimes sucessful with port 80 but never with 8078.

I just do not know what is going on!

Highlighted
Community Star

8078 shouldn't be a problem, please provide screenshots of what you have configured, so as I can check it for you.

Port 80 will need to be translated on the HG633..

What you need to do is choose an unused TCP port number above 1024 (for example port 9080), then create a new port forwarding rule and translate the external port 9080 to the internal port 80 (called PAT or Port Address Translation) and point this to the PC running the webserver.

For port translation, in this example, port 9080 is going to be translated to port 80. Setup the application as per this example:-

Name : Port9080
External port : 9080 9080
Internal port : 80 80
Protocol : TCP

On a port testing site, you need to test port 9080, not port 80.

When you access this from the internet, you need to specify in your web browser or vendor's own software that it is going to use port 9080, instead of the default HTTP port 80.

If your router's WAN IP address, for example, was 1.2.3.4, you would enter this address in the browser:-

http://1.2.3.4:9080

If using a DDNS domain of MyDDNS.com you would change this to:-

http://MyDDNS.com:9080

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Many thanks for this which I understand.

I have now found that I can set up a new PF profile as you suggesed called 9080, if I use the Internal Host as my desktop PC the port opens but if I use the Heatmiser as the Internal Host it does not open!

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

PS. Indeed I think the PC may be the only device I can open the port to

Highlighted
Community Star

Please supply screenshots of the router config that you have used.

Keith

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hello again Keith

I started on this again this morning after a good sleep and have it all working at last.  I think I must have created some form of conflict within the port forwarding because port 8078 still woundnt open this morning so I cleared all of the port foward entries and started from scratch using your instructions and finally all the ports open as intended and point to my Heatmiser.

Thanks once more for your help

Mac

Highlighted
Community Star

That's great, glad to help.

Keith