Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 Wireless Issue

25 REPLIES 25
Unreal
Conversation Starter

I'm having an issue where devices just drop off of the HG633 wireless connection, sometimes they return, sometimes they do not.

An example is the printer, when the issue occurs even rebooting the printer doesn't bring it back.

I started thinking it was specifically the printer however other devices started disappearing too.

As a test whilst four devices vanished I rebooted the HG633 (after making sure rebooting the printer didn't resolve that one) and after the reboot all the devices were then accessible.

The actual Internet connection and speed is good and stable.

Are there any similar known issues? I did try searching before posting but the HG633 is mentioned quite a lot.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

An alternative is to use band steering. This will automatically move any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz band, providing better performance for the device & fewer devices are then subject to the interference on the 2.4GHz band. To enable this, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Unreal
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

Yes, familiar with all of that as have deployed Cisco, Meraki and Aruba corporate wireless solutions 🙂

I put the printer in the same room as the access point (a meter or so away) and the printer was reporting a 100% signal at the time of the issue, it was connected to the SSID and could get an IP address but nothing could reach it.

So that I can answer your questions and gather statistics I've relabelled the 5GHz SSID as requested.

Thanks,

Unreal.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I can never know people's skill sets unless they tell me. I assume you have run a WiFi analyser on this, as it is probably the first diagnostic step to take?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Yes, currently I have -33dBm on 2.4GHz and -45dBm on 5G

The signal to the SSID isn't the issue as far as I can tell.

The printer can see the SSID, connect to it, get an IP, reports between 86-100% signal but if you try and get to it there's no layer 2 between for example a laptop and it, no MAC address is seen on the laptop for the printer like the router is not forwarding it on the ARP request.
KeithFrench
Community Star

What happens if you do a Wireshark trace on the laptop, do you see the ARP response come back?

Keith

Unreal
Conversation Starter

I'll check when it next happens, it's all currently stable after the router reboot. 

I wondered whether it's related to the way the multicast TT IPTV works and maybe it's filling up a table on the router. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

If you don't see the MAC address of the printer in the ARP cache, it has nothing to do with the router. On a flat L2 network, the printer must answer the ARP request. My earlier comments about a WiFi analyser were aimed at WiFi interference, as if you do not get the ARP response from the printer, then it could be that interference is preventing the printer completely associating with the AP.

Keith

Unreal
Conversation Starter

Yes well in L2 the router/switch still needs to know how to forward the frames so would have to keep a forwarding table of MAC addresses.

In any case I agree about the interference affecting the association.

I've seen similar things with multicast storms which is why I mentioned the IPTV.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes, I agree about the forwarding tables in the switch module of the router, but I have never seen any such issues with the switching of frames in this router.

In your original post you said that it affects numerous Wi-Fi devices, hence why I think (without having seen any screenshots from a WiFi Analyser), the problem is interference on the channel used.

Keith

Unreal
Conversation Starter

Ok the issue is back again, I've run a packet capture for ARP and I can see my wired laptop asking for the ARP but get not reply.

I can tell you it also isn't signal related because I have a wireless bridge with a couple of devices cabled behind it, I can reach 1 of the devices behind it but not 2 others.

Network hosts stop responding.PNG

In this output you can see me on .24 ask for .2 .3 .5 and .10 and get a reply from only .5, well .5 is cabled in exactly the same way as .2 and .3 behind the Edimax bridge whilst .10 is a wireless printer.

If I reboot then TT router then everything starts repsponding correctly.

Another thing I've noticed that when the issue is happening the TT router lights are all flashing in unison with hardly any variation, usually you'd see Internet/Wirless/Ethernet and TV all be flashing at different times with the odd unison.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I'll pass this to the OCEs for you.

Keith

Unreal
Conversation Starter

Thanks Keith, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

When it's working, it's great.

I even got over not being able to use the inbound NAT features for my public server to my private server (because this router doesn't map to an IP only a MAC which is a problem for the bridge). I'll soon be losing the bridge for a patched cable in to the switch so would be able to do it on MAC then anyway.

The old 3782 was terrible in comparisson, flakey wireless, flakey speeds but at least it had the NAT to IP.

Community Team

Hi Unreal,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Would you like us to send another HG633 router for testing purposes?

Thanks

Unreal
Conversation Starter

Thanks Michelle, I don't think there's a line fault, that all runs good since our last encounter.

You could send another 633 but what happens if it manifests on that too?

I'm tempted to try a third party device which I know you can't really support but I'm concerned about getting the TV service working properly through it.

Community Team

Hi Unreal,

I can't really help with advice about 3rd party routers but other members are free to do so. Generally the router just needs to have the option to configure IGMP for it to work with our TV service, please see this help article for further information

We could try another HG633 if you like, there's actually a chance that you'll get a HG635 depending on stock levels of the HG633

Chris

Unreal
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that, I asked for the HG635 previously when the 3782 was replaced but was told they were no longer available.

I'd certainly be interested in trying that.

Thanks,

Unreal.

Community Team

We can't specify the HG635 but I know that we've have been sending them out recently when HG633 stocks have been low so I'll order you a 633 and keep my fingers crossed 🙂

The router should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Thanks Chris, I'll give it a go regardless and see how we get on. Usually takes a few days to manifest.
Community Team