cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

HG633 or DSL3782 Router?

ANSWERED
10 REPLIES
Highlighted
mickrobbo
Chatterbox

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm not following the right protocol. I was wanting some advice or information regarding my Fibre Broadband Router. I have been with TalkTalk now for 2 years and have had very little problem with the service, but the router I was given at the time, a HG633 has never had a great wifi signal around the full house. This has been something I have just tolerated. Recently I renewed my contract for another 2 years and when I explained to customer services about my router, I was told that I was entitled to a more up-to-date router. This was sent out and received yesterday, a D-Link DSL-3782, only released this year. I immediatley set it up thinking that this would sort out my wifi problems. In fact it made things worse, I struggled even getting internet in the same room as the router. I went from getting 30 mbps to getting 7 mbps. I left this new router connected for around 12 hours, before too many complaints from my wife and kids forced me to replace it with the HG633 which instantly lifted the speed back to 30 mbps. I just wondered why this is, and whether I needed to do something else to make the DSL-3782 work as it should? Any advice or guidance would be gratefully accepted.Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi mickrobbo

I'm sorry to hear this.

In regards to the wireless connection, have you tested different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

How do I change my wireless channel?

Thanks

Debbie

mickrobbo
Chatterbox

I did try this yesterday, but the router seems to be struggling. I've gone back to my HG633 for the time being and you've just updated the firmware. Do you think that I should just stick to the HG633 or should I persevere with the DSL3782? Which do you think is generally the better router? I hope that I'm making sense with this.... Thanks in advance.

Community Team

Hi mickrobbo

You can use either router.  @KeithFrench provides really good advice in regards to improving wireless performance. Keith can you help please?

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star

Intermittent drop outs or breaks in signal might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. However, other factors should be investigated first.

When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, or DSL-3782 they are dual band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633 or the DSL-3782, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

mickrobbo
Chatterbox

Thanks Keith, 

Sorry for the late reply, I've only just logged back on. I've had my HG633 back in use now for the past week and it seems to be working ok, so I don't understand what the problem is with the DSL3782.

I've just given up on it now, I'll just stick to my HG633 from now on.

Thanks for all or your time though.

Regards,

Victormeldrew666
Wise Owl
Solution

All isp supplied (free supposedly) are going to be basic minimum spec.

Nothing to stop you purchasing a decent 3rd party modem/router combo unit if you think that will improve your experience. I have a netgear d7000 - not the cheapest but I very rarely get any problems. I am not saying you should spend your own money on a modem/router but you have the option to (@hammertime tells me that a 2nd hand hg635 from ebay improved things no end.)

Maybe tweaks to the supplied router will fix the problems - if not (and it is a router rather than line problem) you have options.

ferguson
Community Star

Any wireless performance issues are going to be dependent on the devices being connected and the local environment. Both TalkTalk supplied routers are in fact reasonably well specified and have dual band wireless with 802.11ac capabilities.

Community Team

Hi mickrobbo

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues with the HG633 router.

Debbie

mickrobbo
Chatterbox

Thanks Debbie,

I really appreciate everyones help.

Thanks.

Mick.

Community Team