would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 router lights meaning

ANSWERED
16 REPLIES
flyingR
First Timer

Hi – recently upgraded to Fibre and rather disappointed with performance. I have a feeling that the connection drops out regularly.

The Broadband light stays solid green but the Internet light goes of every two to three seconds, sometimes just once, sometimes twice in quick succession. HG633 router.                         

I spent an hour on ‘Live Chat’ this morning but most of it was about what devices I used and how they were connected. I went to connect another laptop close to the router and the session timed out.

Before we try problem solving, can anyone tell me the answers to two questions:-

Is it normal for the Internet light to flash ?  

What does the Internet light show as opposed to the Broadband light ?

Thanks

R

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

The broadband light if steady green means you have a connection to the fibre cabinet, if it is out you don't have a connection & if flashing it is trying to establish a connection.

Internet light - solid green show that you have the necessary virtual path to the internet. If it flashes that is no problem, it is merely indicating data transfer. When the internet light is red on the router, the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, because the broadband light is still green, but the virtual path is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

Do the stastics you provided in your ‎24-05-2018 01:47 PM post all equally apply to non-fibre connnections KeithFrench?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Well they are not really statistics, but the only difference is that the broadband connection with ADSL is from the router to the exchange, not the router & the fibre cabinet.

Other than that then yes the meaning of the lights is identical.

However, with the default configuration on most TalkTalk routers where an ADSL connection is detected, is that Always On is disabled. This means that after about 30 minutes of inactivity over the broadband, the router will take the virtual path down & only re-establish it once data is detected. This behaviour can be prevented by enabling Always On.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

flyingR
First Timer

Keith - many thanks for your detailed ( and very prompt) answer.

One query.

I am familiar with the term 'virtual' in (say) the context of 'Virtual Memory'.

But how do you have a 'virtual ' path to the internet ?

R

KeithFrench
Community Star

The connection from the router to the fibre cabinet or exchange if ADSL is obviously a physical cable. A virtual path (also called a virtual circuit) is setup in this case between two IP endpoints, it routes over a lot of physical connections, but in the terms of IP networking, it does not care about that. It is just an exclusive connection that all of your data will pass over between these two end points.

Keith

flyingR
First Timer

Hello Keith,

Thanks again,

Armed with your info I started to get interested. So last night I did a bit of testing.

I will table it as a question to see if you confirm my thoughts and to make the thread more complete for anyone who views it anon.

I turned off (hard off) every computer in the house. This morning, after several hours of no live computers, the ‘Internet’, ‘WiFI’ & ‘Ethernet’ lights were lit most of the time.

The ‘WiFi’ & ‘Ethernet’ lights went out every few seconds for a second or so.

The ‘Internet’ light went out at longer intervals, maybe 30 secs, for the same short period

This suggests that

1. a) Activity on the line is indicated by the light going OUT.

1. b) In the absence of any connected device the Router transmits an ‘I'm alive’ or handshaking signal.

Is this correct ?

Thanks for your advice - you are indeed a star !

R

KeithFrench
Community Star

The internet light will flash & perhaps go out for short durations due to data activity.

As to keep-alives this will be down to individual IP protocols that could be running between the router & attached devices.

This is especially the case with the Wi-Fi, irrespective of if any devices are connected or not. This is what is known as a Wi-Fi beacon normally sent once every 100mS. This is used to advertise your Wi-Fi network & the capabilities that it supports, so as nearby devices add your network to their list of available networks.

Keith

flyingR
First Timer

Thanks again.  I'm all done now, over and out.

R

omendata
Wizz Kid

Yeah Keith is one of the better OCe guys on here always professional and knows his stuff!

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks for the praise, but I am not an OCE, just a customer.

Keith

Kenbaugh
First Timer

Methinks the lady doth protest too much?

Kenbaugh
First Timer

Methinks the lady doth protest too much?

Cannoncan
Sightseer

hi I have all the problems you have with other problem it goes off line completely at times, no one has the answer looking for new internet supplier,

skinnylegs
First Timer

Exactly the same has happened to me. Upgraded to Fibre as too far from exchange & signal useless. Fibre is not much better and my green internet router light is flashing too.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @skinnylegs @Cannoncan

The internet light is supposed to flash gree.

If you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread, plus this thread is also old.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith

SeyaT

Hi,

I recently upgraded and had to get the technical team to upgrade my router to stop it dropping out all the time. Might be worth asking if they can do that first?

Good luck