Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG635 2.4 GHz issue

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Chatterbox

My HG635 router has worked well for 3-4 years but the last few months the 2.4 GHz channel drops out and has been getting progressively worse. I have the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on seperate SSID's and the 5 GHz usually stays up. I have tried swapping channels to 6 and 11 which has not worked. Only lowering the transmit power of the router has improved the 2.4 GHz dropout but its still frequent every 1-2 hours.

I believe the router is showing its age as when the 2.4 GHz drops out the router settings page slows to a crawl and login is unable and i am forced to manually restart the router. The reset pin on the back has also done nothing to improve performance, nor has a factory restore. 

Highlighted
Community Star

This sounds like your local area has become more congested in this band. Have you tested with a WiFi analyser? I can help with this if you want.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Keith thanks for your reply. I have attached the two photos which your wifi interference guide mentions. Looking forward to your reply. Acrylic_2019-10-27_20-25-36.pngAcrylic_2019-10-27_20-21-29.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Try channel 1

Worked for me

Otherwise had same issue and had to change to router

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Over the last 2 months i have tried every channel available some seemingly doing better than others but still disconnecting every few hours sadly. 

Highlighted
Community Star

OK. Pretty sure someone will test your line first. Run the TalkTalk speed test if you can.

Once that done you can ask for a replacement router.  Mine did same and a replacement cured issue,

Escalated issue for pickup on Monday.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I have run the line tests and there is no problem with my line, also confirmed by the fact my ethernet plugged computer has no connection issues. Just the 2.4 GHz wifi channel which my daughter and wife run their laptops on and gaming consoles. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SongStory

Apologies for the delay.

Have you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset for 10 seconds?

If you have already tried this then I can send a replacement router for testing.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @SongStory 

You are using a 40MHz channel bandwidth, which is counterproductive in the 2.4GHz band. Please see the instructions in my guide on how to set this to 20MHz only. Then make sure it stays on channel 6.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie

I have tried a factory reset using the pin.

I would very much appreciate a replacement router for testing. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SongStory

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie