cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

HG635 Wifi dropping out on 2.4ghz

19 REPLIES
Highlighted
msh101
Repeat Guest

Hi,

I'm having problems with the 2.4ghz connection on wifi, the 5ghz is fine only 2.4ghz drops out and you have to reboot the router to regain connection, I have run the Acrylic app to show all wifi conections (we live in a hamelt of 6 houses and no other signal is detected). Any ideas ?

regards

Mark

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please can you send me screenshots from Acrylic with your 2.4Ghz network highlighted? The views I need to see are:-

1. Signal strength
  2. 2.4GHx channels

Then I should be able to help you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

msh101
Repeat Guest

Hi Keith, here are the screen shots,

screen1.jpgscreen2.png

Hi have tried different channels etc, the wifi on 2.4ghz can be ok for a while and then becomes intermittant, last night it dropped for several hours before comming back, (the 2.4ghz was not transmitting and not shown when cheking with Acrylic).

regards

Mark

msh101
Repeat Guest
KeithFrench
Community Star

What is happening to your WiFi signal in the last graph? Personally, I would use channel 11 & set the 802.11 bandwidth or channel bandwidth to 20MHz only. Using two channels would seem to be correct, but it is impossible to know with those few screenshots exactly what happens at other times of the day.

Where roughly is the router situated in your property & where was the PC running Acrylic in relation to the router? Do you live in a new build property with loads of insulation between the internal walls? Is the router or your PC situated near any metal objects, loudspeakers TVs cordless phone base stations etc?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

msh101
Repeat Guest

Hi the last graph shows the 2.4ghz signal droping out, the router is at the front of the property and i'm about 8 feet way on the other side of a stud partioned wall, the house is 120 years old, this problem has just started (last couple of weeks), the problem is the router has developed a fault, (I was a telecomunications engineer for the MOD and now an IT architect for a multinational IT company).

Aprechiate any help,

Regards

Mark

KeithFrench
Community Star

Maybe it is the router then. I will escalate this now for you to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and they will investigate it for you.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

msh101
Repeat Guest

Thank you Keith, much apprechiated. 

Community Team

Hi msh101

I've updated the firmware for the router, see if this helps with the performance.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

msh101
Repeat Guest

Thank you Karl, I'll see how it goes.

Regards

Mark

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

msh101
Repeat Guest

Hi Karl, unfortunatly the 2.4ghz wifi has started dropping out again, no problem with 5ghz.

KeithFrench
Community Star

If you want to get me some fresh screenshots, I'll take another look.

Keith

Community Team

Hi msh101

Would you like to try a replacement router ?

Karl.

msh101
Repeat Guest

Hi Karl, yes I would appreciate a router to try.

Regards

Mark

Community Team

Hi

A new router is on the way for testing.

This should arrive in the next 24-48 working hours.

Thanks

Karl.

msh101
Repeat Guest

Thank you Karl Thumbs up

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

msh101
Repeat Guest

Hi Karl,

Just a quick note to let you know all is now well, there have been no dropouts with the new router.

Regards

Mark

Community Team

Hi Mark

That's great, thanks for keeping us updated :-)

Debbie