Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HP printer connectivity issues

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi

I got a new printer (HP envy 5010) a few months ago and set it up to the wireless network and ensure it had its own IP address so that the IP won't change within network.

90% of the time (if not, every time) when I come to print I have to re-add the printer on my mac in order for it to successfully print.  If I don't do this, the mac will have a 'Looking for Printer/Cannot Find Printer' message.  I usually have to re-add the printer if has been been used after a day. Re-adding the printer is no issue and takes a minute to do, but shouldn't have to do this...

Confusingly if I want to scan something, there is no issue and communicates with the printer no problem, even if has been inactive and showing an error message when trying to print.

Anyone able to shed any ideas on where or what is causing my issue, is it the TalkTalk Wifi Hub, my macbook or the actual printer 🤔.  The issue applies to all computers (all macbooks) in the house.

I should note, my previous HP printer had no issues with the WiFi network etc, but the printer started having issues, hence the new printer.

Thanks, JDX90

TalkTalk Faster Fibre 76Mbps
Highlighted
Community Star

I have an Envy although a different model, it works fine connected to my hub. I do not have any apple products but I can print fine from my Windows PC & Android devices. Are you using Wi-Fi direct, as that could cause a problem? How is internet access generally from the Apple devices?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jdx90

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version.

I can see that Keith has posted on your thread. Keith provides really good advice on improving wireless performance, have you had a look at his reply?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi

The printer is connected direct to the WiFi hub, and using the talktalk SSID when printing. I have disabled WiFi direct. 

General WiFi access is alright across the home. We all use Apple computers / phones.  Only one Windows laptop which is a work one and uses O2 to connect (3G)  

Thanks, JDX

Highlighted
Community Star

If this is HP Smart or similar, maybe you will need to ask HP about it, in case there is a problem with the Apple versions?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Not sure what HP smart is?

The printer is set up through Apple's own printer software (Bonjour?) 

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

Is the bonjour service up to date ?  Have you tried any HP software to see if this works better ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Wise Owl

I had a similar on off connection problems when initially set up my HP Deskjet 2620 wifi printer to Windows 10. I got help from HP Support. What in my case  it seemed to boil down to was the printer ip address. My suggestion would be to look into printer properties port ipaddress and make sure it is the same as your printers. I hope this suggestion helps.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I think I have solved it...

The printer was connected to the hub's 5Ghz band, I have now changed it to connect to the 2.4Ghz one.  I've also downloaded HP Smart.

Hopefully stays connected 🤞

Highlighted

Hi

Glad you have got this working.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE