cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Help. I have had slow broadband (faster fibre) speeds for almost 3 months.

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
MrMac
Popular Poster

Hello all,

Since around the middle of April my broadband Faster Fibre has drastically reduced in speed. Before hand I was getting on average 18Mbs - 25Mbs download speeds (not as fast as advertised but I could live with it). In the middle of April, however, that speed reduced overnight to around 6.5mbs download (9.3 upload).

So I got in touch with Talk Talk (via online chat) and queried this and I was advised to keep my router on all the time - I am in the habit of turning things off at night. Since then I have kept said router on (albeit occasionally turning it of by mistake) and I have kept recording download/upload speeds since then.

Before I give the speeds (and how the have gotten worse) I will give my  phone socket to router to laptop details -

The phone socket at my front door has only one socket and is connected to the HG633 router in my living room. The router is connected to my Lenovo T430 (windows 7) laptop via Ethernet cable. The Wifi has been turned off.

I have been using this setup since joining TalkTalk around 3 and a half years ago and have 3 months to go till the end of my second 2 year broadband contract.

- PS I am about 1 mile (albeit in a straight line) from the towns phone exchange.

I started keeping records of the broadband speeds form 22nd of April (I won't bore you with every single one) - The router has been on at all times unless noted. - Upload speeds have stayed at 9.5mbs on average - and ms (ping?) speeds is usually bouncing around the 50ms mark.

- From 22nd of April the download speeds gradually dropped from 6.7mbs to a download speed of 4.2mbs on the 12th of May. The router was turned off by mistake on the 13th of May.

-From the 13th of May when the speed was recorded at 4.4mbs download there is an average of around 4.0mbs, occasionally dropping to 3.67mbs on a couple of days in June.

-The router was turned off again, by mistake, on the 29th of June. Since then my average download speed is around 4mbs - upload is around 9.5mbs and the ms is between 42ms and 103ms. 

Now today, 10th of July, I realised I've got to do something about this. I tried different cables from the phone socket to the router. I've tried other ethernet cables from the router to the computer. I've tried using the routers Wifi instead of being 'hardwired' and I tried plugging the router into the phone socket direct with no long cables. The results -

- No change in speed with different cables from phone socket to router

- Hardwired is 3.89mbs download, 9.46 upload and 86ms

- Wifi is 3.83mbs download, 9.44 upload and 43ms

- Router directly into phone socket is 4.01 download, 9.48 upload and 42ms.

Using an Ethernet cable - Talk Talks service status gives estimated 39 - 40mbs download and the actual is 4mb

Using an Ethernet cable - talk talks own speed test is 4.0mbs download and 9.3 upload.

Now please bear in mind that I have been using the exact same setup for a few years before the speed drop (from around 18mbs - 25mbs till todays speed at 4.0mbs)

Thanks for bearing with all that spiel.

My questions are - Can I do anything about this slow speed. Can Talk Talk do anything about this slow speed. 

And most of all why am I paying for Faster Fibre (35mbs - 40mbs) but only receiving around 10% of that speed for at least 2 months.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions to help towards remedying this situation I would be grateful indeed to receive them.

Cheers - John

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @MrMac 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

MrMac
Popular Poster

Thank you for your reply Keith, I've done as you asked.

👍Cheers - John

Community Team

Hi MrMac,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Have you ever tested with a different router?

Thanks

MrMac
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle, thanks for writing back to me.

I take it that 'a few re-connections on the line' means the router being turned off and on? If it does, then yes the router has been turned of accidentally in the last 3 months.

After advice from TalkTalk, the router was left on from 22nd of April to 13th of May (3 weeks), download speed dropped from 7mbs to 4mbs, then the router was turned off by mistake.

The router was on from 13th of May to 29 of June (just under 8 weeks). Download speed stayed at around 4mbs.

The router was on from 29 of June till yesterday,10 july (only 12 days this time). The download speed again stayed at around 4mbs.

As for the telephone, I've only used it possibly 3 or 4 times in 45 months. I checked it today (again causing the router to be turned off) - there is a ring tone and there is, if anything, a very slight hiss on the line (but that could be my tinnitus.... only joking - the tinnitus is a lot louder!)

As for checking with a different router, I only have the HG633 router that was sent out in 2015? when my original contract started.

I hope I have answered your questions ok.

Anyhoo, thanks for your time Michelle.

Yours - John

Community Team

Hi John,

Thanks for the information 

How many telephone sockets do you have? Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Chris

MrMac
Popular Poster

HI Chris,

I have 1 phone socket but I didn't know if it was a 'master' or have a 'test socket', so I checked the Web and found out that my master socket does indeed have a Test Socket. So I thought 'Ah' and went ahead and tested the router direct into the Test Socket.

Normal set up result - 3.46mbs download, 7.87 upload and 70ms.

Test Socket result     - 3.09mbs download, 7.87 upload and 49ms.

I hope this will answer your question(s).

Cheers for getting back to me Chris.

Yours - John

MrMac
Popular Poster

Chris, I just saw your link in your post above and checked it out -

It's a standard master socket with the test socket inside.

John.

Community Team

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. Is your router still connected to your test socket? The router will need to be left connected to the test socket for at least 48 hours to allow DLM to monitor your connection and respond to any improvement in errors and/or disconnections 

Chris

MrMac
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Download speeds for last 5 days are averaging at around 3.5mbs.

Anyhoo, I (from today) am now plugged into the test socket. I'll get back to you in a few days and hopefully this will make a difference.

Cheers - John

Community Team
MrMac
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

The router has now been connected to the test socket for the last 9 to 10 days (15th to 24th July).

In that time the highest download speed recorded (using speed tests) was 3.60mbs and the lowest download speed was 3.32mbs (I recorded the speed every day)

The upload speeds are averaging around the 9.40 to the 9.50mbs  marks.

the ping is usually around the 50ms mark.

Please bear in mind that I am paying for Faster Fibre and should be getting at least 35Mbs - 40Mbs minimum (I think). This speed is one that I have never got - the speeds that I received in the last 20 months have never gone above 25mbs (which I got one time only on an Xbox download) and were usually sitting at around the 18mbs mark (around half of what I pay for). However, as I have recorded, the download speeds received in the last 3 months have gradually reduced to where they are now - 3.5mbs.

Btw, my mate next door (which is 3 meters from my door) is getting 58mbs for the same price 😢

Again, any (more) advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Cheers 👍

Yours - John

Community Team

Hi John,

Thank you for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that the speed hasn't increased. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

MrMac
Popular Poster

HI Michelle,

Yes, I guess trying out a replacement router will help. It's possible that it's the 3 and half year old HG633 router causing the problem. So lets give the replacement a try.

Yours - John

MrMac
Popular Poster

Hi All,

I was just browsing the boards and came across this -

"It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is".

"To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router"

"Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information"

So, to help , I'll post my own router stats as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Information

Product type:
HG633
Device ID:
deleted
Hardware version:
H.1.01
Software version:
v2.00t
System up time:
12 days 9 hours 5 minutes 27 seconds

Wireless Information

Broadband Information

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
9 days 23 hours 33 minutes 9 seconds
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.
Yours - John
Community Team

Hi @MrMac

Ive ordered a router. 

Should be with you in a few days. 

Let us know how it goes.

MrMac
Popular Poster

Ok, no worries, Arne.

Once I receive the router, I'll leave it on for a few days and record the results.

Cheers - John

Community Team
MrMac
Popular Poster

Hi Community Team,

I received the new router on the 29th of July and it has been turned on since that date. Sadly there has been very little change.

From the 29th July till today (7th August) the download speed has not gone above 3.61Mbs,

the upload speed has not been above  8.78Mbs

and the ping was between 118 and 43ms.

Using Wifi instead gives very similar speeds also.

Here is the information from the router page -

System Information

Product type:
HG635
Device ID:
deleted
Hardware version:
G.1.01
Software version:
v1.10t
System up time:
9 days 5 hours 12 minutes 46 seconds

Wireless Information

Broadband Information

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
None
DSL up-time:
9 days 5 hours 11 minutes 55 seconds
So, I'm still only getting around 10% of the guaranteed Faster Fibre speed.

I look forward to the Teams reply.
Cheers - John.

PS - I posted back the old router on the 29th July.
Community Team

Hi MrMac,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that the sync speed hasn't improved. I've passed the drop in speed over to our Network Team for investigation.

If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks