cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Help. Upload Speed randomly drops to zero and I'm constantly being disconnected.

18 REPLIES 18
Choke
Participant

I’ve had this RANDOM intermittent problem for many months now and it’s getting progressively worse.

I know the cause of my disconnects but not why it’s happening. My upload speed drops to zero randomly and then I can’t do anything. Can’t even get a page in my browser to load and all my wifi devices in the house get knocked off the internet. Download speed is always fine and there is no audible interference on the phone line, but when the problem occurs my upload suddenly goes from 10-11 mbps to zero-0.1 mbps. Then, after a period of time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) it gradually comes back to life again and then eventually functions as it should (until the next time the upload speed dies completely and I can’t connect to the outside world). I’ve even been kicked off midway through live chat with talktalk when trying to discuss the issue because of the upload dying and also on this forum earlier today.

I’ve put in many calls to customer services recently but they just tell me they can’t ‘see’ a fault. They’ve changed my ip address (no fix), they’ve sent me a new wifi hub (no fix) and 2 weeks ago an Openreach engineer came out, but guess what?...when he turned up in the morning my connection wasn’t playing up at that particular time and unsurprisingly he couldn’t find a fault with the upload speed. He did say my db download signal was high and maybe it was ‘tripping up’ the upload speed randomly so he got it turned down. 2 weeks later I’m still having the same problems. This morning it’s dropped out 3 times. Then suddenly comes back and lasts for say 30 minutes or maybe more and then just dies again suddenly.

I’ve tried 3 different routers and they all do the same. I’m wired directly into my router from the master socket. If the connection is on and working fine, then all routers work fine, but if it drops out, then none of them work. I’ve also done all the usual checks in the test socket etc. Nothing fixes the issue.

I’m now starting to lose the will tbh. I currently feel the ONLY way I’m going to ever get this issue resolved is if I’m ever lucky enough to have an engineer turn up at the exact same time as my upload speed decides to drop off. Otherwise, I’m just going round and round in circles with no solution.

It’s so frustrating and so random it seems impossible to solve. I have many screen grabs showing the drop offs on speedtest which illustrate what’s going on when it plays up if that helps.

As I type this my upload is 0.14 mbps, so I don’t even know if I’ll be able to post this thread on here!!

Choke
Participant

Sorry about the formatting. I pasted from a word document and it didn't insert the paragraph breaks properly!!

Community Team

Hi Choke,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line.

Just to confirm, was the previous router also a wifi hub? Does it mainly seem to happen at certain times of the day?

Thanks

Choke
Participant

Hi.

Thanks for your reply Michelle.

I have tried an HG633, an HG635 (which I'm currently using again as I feel it's slightly less unstable and it has more lights on it to show me what's happening - and it's quicker than the 633) and then the new Wifi Hub 5364 (which is fine but when this happens they all stop working). Most of the time when this occurs the green lights all stay on. Very occasionally the red light does come for the internet but mostly the lights on all these models stays green (or white in the case of the 5364) as if nothing is wrong.

Yes. It is random of course but tbh, the drops seem to generally happen early to mid afternoon (1.30 to 5pm ish throughout) and then in the evenings around 8-9pm and sometimes early hours of the morning. Of course, on a really bad day it can happen mornings too but generally that's the pattern I'm seeing.

If you can see reconnections on the line from yesterday, I'm guessing that would probably be around 2pm and then I got it going again about 40 minutes later, 3pm when it went again and it came back to life around 4pm, and then around 7pm when I got it back fully just before 8pm.

I have screen grabs of Speedtest when it dropped. To give you an idea of how it goes, the last time yesterday it went, it looked like this:-

19.34pm - Suddenly nothing (not even a web page)

19.35pm - Latency Test Error (can't even get the Speedtest page to load)

19.41pm - 57.13 down, 0.00 up

19.44pm - 56.30 down, 0.00 up

19.45pm - Latency Test Error (can't even get the Speedtest page to load)

19.48pm - 51.90 down, 1.99 up

19.49pm - 57.20 down, 2.99 up

19.50pm - 57.03 down, 3.34 up

19,52pm - 57.19 down, 10.70 up

So when it does go wrong, it will eventually creep back up to speed (upload) and back to life. It will then run as normal again at expected speeds until some time later the upload speed suddenly drops off with no warning to zero again and I can't communicate with the internet.

This morning for instance, it's been fine. That's why I am able to type this reply, because when it does go, I can't do anything online at all.

Thanks for looking into this for me. 8¬)

Community Team

Hi Choke

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Are there any devices set up on a timer around the time you experience this issue?

Are wired devices also affected?

Thanks

Debbie

Choke
Participant

Hmm...guess what? 2 minutes after I posted that last reply it went again.

Just got it limped back into life now about an hour later although it's still struggling showing 0.19 up.

Yes. test socket. My main pc I'm on now is wired in, so yes, everything's affected when it goes and no, nothing comes on suddenly or 'booted up' when the random drops happen.

Hope there's enough upload for me now to post this reply!!

Choke
Participant

It's now 1.51 up and limping. Can I ask, the last hour & a half can you see anything happening to my line your end? It's struggling now as I type this?

Community Team

Hi Choke, 

I've passed this to our network team for further investigation. If you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates

Thanks

Chris

Choke
Participant

15.01 pm - 75 ping (normally 6-7), 56.76 down. 0.61 up.

Anything visible your end?

Choke
Participant

Cheers Michelle.

Must just say, maybe something, maybe nothing, but a few months back when one day my phone and internet went completely dead one day an engineer went to the junction box in the street that time and found both my wires to the house completely disconnected from the system. He replugged them and we were back up that day.

Seems very strange that someone had disconnected just my to wires and left them like that on that particular occasion. Did an enginner know there was some problem with my wires and they meant to fix a problem with them that time (and it wasn't completed)? I wonder if there is a card or something that needs replacing for my house. Just still curious about that if it proves to be an ongoing problem that was never solved.

Choke
Participant

FURTHER UPDATE:-

15.15pm - now back up to what it should be after nearly 2 hours struggling.

PING - 6

DOWN - 56.38 mbps

UP - 10.36 mbps

Compared to just 15 minutes ago @ 15.00pm:-

PING - 75

DOWN - 56.76 mbps

UP - 0.61 mbps

Choke
Participant

Disconnected yet again after my last post. Just back up now so able to post this update.

15.15pm - all fine.

15.23pm - disconnected completely.

15.24pm to 16.50pm down. Router reboots done but red internet light remains on.

16.52pm - 56.10 down, 0.00 up.

16.55pm - 56.03 down, 10.66 up.

Community Team

Hi Choke

I have requested an update on this fault from our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Choke

Just to confirm, have you previously received a Wifi Hub?

Thanks

Debbie

Choke
Participant

Hello again.

Yes. I have the Wifi Hub. I’ve also tested the HG633 and an HG 635 which I’m currently using (that I bought myself) because basically all 3 fail when it does go wrong, but the 635 if anything is the most reliable I’ve tested with all this and it also shows me more in terms of connection lights working etc.

So, my update as requested. On Friday it continued to be unstable after my last post and died completely again around 10.15pm and was back up at 10.40pm.

Saturday it was really bad. From around 1pm it constantly went down all afternoon. Multiple router reboots got it to limp back into life only for it to last 15 minutes or so before another zero drop off. Then from about 5.20pm to about 7.15pm it was completely dead with a constant red light for the internet on the router. Even multiple reboots weren’t enabling me to momentarily reconnect to the internet for those 2 hours.

It went down again around 8.05pm until 8.15pm. Then it went again at 8.30pm until 8.40pm. Green light internet was on this time but no connection and no upload speed at all.

Then, Sunday it was fine ALL DAY. No disconnects at all. Dare I say it too, but so far today, it’s also been fine.....so far anyway. Could this possibly mean that someone on the network team did find and maybe fixed something after Saturday’s absolute shocker? I hope so. I’d obviously be very interested to learn if they have discovered something and what the issue was.

One thing I would just like to request. I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago an Openreach engineer visited one morning but typically my line didn’t play up when he was here. The only thing he could think of at that time was that my db download signal was a little strong (above average) and he thought the upload may be intermittently struggling against the ‘push’ of the download signal and randomly ‘tripping over’ as a result. He therefore arranged for my download db ‘push’ strength from the outside box to be lowered to see if that solved the problem.

However, it didn’t, and so this clearly wasn’t a factor in all this as my problem continued for weeks after that. Therefore I would like to request that my db download signal be reverted back to the strength it was before. Clearly that idea wasn’t a factor but since that was done, it has had a detrimental impact on my average download speed which has since dropped from around 60mbps to about 50mbps. I obviously don’t want my faster fibre that I pay extra for to be compromised unnecessarily or restricted if it doesn’t have to be, and that particular ‘tweak’ proved not to be the cause of my problem.

Many thanks. I look forward to your update on my issue.

Community Team

Hi Choke

Thanks for your reply.

I have passed on your comments to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Choke

Our Network Team have provided the below update:

The customer seems to be describing a DLM modification by OR to change it from standard to stable which will drop the speed to stabilize the line. The DLM profile is set to standard at the moment so it must have already been changed back.

There was an incident open for this customer’s exchange which has been marked as resolved on Saturday. 

Please can you monitor the connection over the next couple of days and let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Choke
Participant

Thanks for the update Debbie.

Well, after several months of these random drop outs and disconnects, at the moment at least, I'm glad to say that since Sunday it is indeed performing as I'd expect it to.

I don't want to count my farmyard animals just yet because being a random issue, I did have days before where it performed okay and then went horribly wrong a few days later. However, as I said, Saturday it was awful and also went completely out for 2 hours solid, but since Sunday, it does appear to be a whole lot better atm. Maybe the 2 hours I had out resulted in them seeing a bigger picture of my (or others) problems and that prompted them to investigate deeper and then implementing some sort of fix? I'm assuming they weren't there purely because of my issue that was logged but more likely because other multiple issues had also arisen.

So, hopefully that  'incident' referred to on Saturday means they've done some sort of fix on my exchange that has also had a knock on positive affect at last for my issue that's been ongoing now for months. Does make me wonder why Openreach couldn't see an issue at the exchange when I've been experiencing such difficulties over many months and reporting them.

Anyhoo...as long as it proves to be a positive solution, then that's all that matters.

Because of the random nature of my problem, if it's okay, I will continue to monitor my upload speeds and any disconnects and if my problem does arise again (hopefully not) I will update this thread accordingly.

Can I just thank you Debbie and the rest of your Network Team for what you've done over the last few days anyway. You've certainly given me a far better and quicker service than the endless calls I've been putting in to what sounds like an Internet Cafe in Deli where the best advice I received after umpteen phone calls was at the level of 'Have you tried switching it on and off again?" 8¬)

Community Team

Hi Choke

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know on this thread if you do experience any further issues and we will contact our Network Team straight away.

Thanks

Debbie