cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Help - do I need to use the new router sent with my upgrade?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi, I've just upgraded my broadband and a new router is being sent out.  I'm not able to connect this myself, will my old one still work?

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi @WillC3 if you already have fibre broadband and just added the fibre speed boost then you should be able to continue using your old router.  However, if you have upgraded from standard broadband to faster fibre then it will depend on which router you already have and whether or not it supports the fibre standard.  If it does then once your new service goes live then all you need to do is turn your router off for 30 minutes and then turn it back on.  If it does not then you will have to change the router.

Whilst it can appear daunting changing the router is not a difficult as it may first seem.  To do it you just need to follow the these steps:

• Switch off the old router and unplug it from the mains.
  • Identify the cable that runs from the phone socket to the router and unplug it from the router.  There is a small tab on the bottom of the connector that you squeeze so you can pull the plug out.
  • If there any other cables connected to the router, eg from a set top box, disconnect these from the router in the same way as you did the telephone cable.
  • Connect the cable from the phone socket to the new router.  There should only be one socket it will fit in, the small square one a near the 4 larger square sockets.  The tab on the plug goes to the bottom.
  • Connect any other cables you disconnected from to old router to the new router, using the larger square sockets.
  • Plug the new router into the mains  and switch on. 

After a few minutes you should be connected to the internet however your wireless devices will not connect to your router as the required username/password will be different on the new router.  If you have a PC connected to your router via an ethernet cable you can log into the router and change the wireless network username/password to those of the old router, details of how to do this can be found here.  Otherwise for each wireless device you will have to connect it to the new network using the username/password on the back of the router.  Exactly how you do this will depend on the device, but in general terms you need to go to settings / wireless networks select the network with the same name as on the back of the router and then enter the username/password.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi,

Thank you very much for your clear reply.  I've upgraded from fast broadband to fibre and my current router is the D-Link DSL-3782. 

I'm currently self isolating and not very technologically savvy and thought I was just switching to a cheaper deal.  Do you know if this router will suffice with the new fibre broadband?  Thanks again.

Highlighted
Insightful One
I believe that your current router will work with faster fibre.

Once your faster fibre service goes live you will probably loose your internet connection. In which case you'll have to switch your router off for 30mins and then back on again so it connects to the new service. All should then be ok.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you very much and you have really helped.  I'm currently in self isolation so can't get anyone to help me in person at the moment.  I really appreciate you replying.