Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Help in getting TalkTalk to provide a faster fibre internet service

First Timer

I had been using a slow but generally reliable internet service provided by TalkTalk and, on the basis of that reliability, decided to stay with the company and contracted on 21 May 2020 for their faster-fibre service.

TalkTalk texted me on 22 May: Your Faster Fibre will go live on 03/06/2020.  The router arrived in good time and was set up on the 3 June.  My existing internet service was disconnected about 11.00 on the 3rd and, apart from one day, I have been without any internet service since then (22 days).  A very slow connection to the internet was established sometime on Saturday 13 but this proved to be a false dawn as it was disconnected again by the morning of Sunday 14th.

I had phoned TalkTalk on the 4 June to report no internet service and was told that the issue had been “escalated” and would be resolved in 3 to 5 days.  I phoned again on the 6 and the 8th when it emerged that the 3 to 5 days were actually working days.  A member of TalkTalk staff phoned me on 9 June now suggesting that I would be connected to the internet on the 11th (Based on the maximum of 5 working days to resolution).

On the 12th I phoned TalkTalk yet again to report still no internet service and was finally transferred to an apparently well informed member of staff who told me that the “escalation ticket” raised on the 4th was incorrect and that yet another 3 to 5 working days would be needed to resolve the issue.

I pointed out that it was unreasonable and probably a breach of contract for TalkTalk not to address matters more swiftly, given that the company’s internal errors had led to this situation.  Insult was added to injury as each time I phoned TalkTalk a recorded message assured me that I would be given an “exact date” to go live.  So on the 12th I insisted that I be given a firm date and time for internet connection.  A staff member assured me that TalkTalk would phone me at 9.00 the 16th  I insisted that the internet service must go live by then.  No internet connectivity was provided and the promised phone call to me was not made.

I emailed to the CEO of TalkTalk, that morning at 9.35.  At 12.45 I was emailed a notice: “unable to deliver message after multiple tries”

On the afternoon of the 16th I phoned TalkTalk yet again, asking to speak to a manager who could resolve the issue.  After hours of discussion, being put on hold and repeatedly being told that all would be fixed in yet another 3 to 5 working days, I was put through to a manager in the Order Management Department.  She told me that the call from TalkTalk had been scheduled for the 18th, not the 16th.  To add to the utter confusion, an email From TalkTalk, also received on the 16th, assured me, “we’re dealing with your issues right away.  We’ll call you back with an update on Friday 19th”  The manager in the Order Management Department assured me that she had asked the manager of the department responsible for connecting me to the internet to deal with the issue personally, to give it priority and that this person would phone me at 12.00 on the 17th.  No phone call was received. 

At 17.20 on the 17th TalkTalk sent me an email stating, “Your TalkTalk Faster Fibre is now ready to go.”  No internet was connected on the 17th!

The phone call to me that I was told was scheduled for 9am on the 18th at 9.00 was never made.

I emailed on the 18th, yet again asking for a connection to the internet.  The reply asked me to “redirect your query to this chat link 7 days a week between the hours of 8am-7pm.” 

This time the live chat worked but only very briefly and I was disconnected twice.  However, later that evening (about 8pm) an engineer phoned me back and ran a series of tests with me.  He finally concluded that the line was working but the new router that TalkTalk had sent me as part of the Faster-Fibre contract was faulty and that he would arrange for a replacement to be sent, probably to arrive on Monday 22 June.

An email from TalkTalk on the 18th then assured me, “You should be back up and running now” and a text messaged me that “everything should be running as you’d expect.”

As promised, a replacement router from TalkTalk was delivered on the 22nd and installed according to instructions.  There was still no internet connectivity.  Again, I phoned the company to report no internet.  Again they ran tests and this time assured me they had booked a telecom engineer’s visit for the morning of the 23rd.  No engineer called within the 8am to 1pm timeslot I was given.  Just after 1pm I phoned TalkTalk.  They initially confirmed that the engineer was booked and asked me to wait a further 20 minutes.  Some half an hour later I was told that the engineer’s visit had been “rejected”!  So having waited in all morning, TalkTalk did not even have the courtesy to phone me, text me or email me that the engineer’s visit would not now take place.  

I was then assured that a telecoms engineer would now come on the morning of the 24th and that a TalkTalk manager would also phone me the same day.  Again, no engineer came and no phone call from a TalkTalk manager was received.  When I had phoned the company at 12.20 on the 24th, I was assured that the telecoms engineer was on their way.  At 13.00 I phoned again to report: still no engineer.  Now they confirmed that no engineer would come because TalkTalk had sent them out-of-date test results and they had to “raise a new ticket.”

However, just after 2pm on the 23rd a text from TalkTalk informed me, “we’re just checking in after your recent engineers visit and think you still may be experiencing problems with your service.”  The same message was sent on the 14th after the second non-arrival of an engineer.

Also on the 24th TalkTalk sent me a bill that included the internet service they are not providing.

Yet again, TalkTalk scheduled a visit from a telecoms engineer, this time for the 25th.  I asked how I could be confident this, the third time that the promised engineer’s visit would actually happen and was told that, without fail, it would happen.  No engineer arrived and when I phoned TalkTalk they were unable or unwilling to give me a reason.  The TalkTalk employee told me there was nothing she could do but would get a manager to phone me within 72 hours.  I said that I wished to speak to a manager now and was told that was not possible.  I asked how I could contact the complaints department.  She said she didn’t know.

All the staff I have talked to have been courteous but seem incapable of resolving the issue and continually make promises of connectivity, phone calls from managers and visits from engineers that are not delivered by the company.

I am sympathetic to the difficulties that the Covid-19 pandemic has caused for TalkTalk, as it has for us all, but, as I run up substantial bills using mobile-phone data to try keeping on top of my responsibilities, I am contacting you now for advice on what to do next.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi DrLazarus,


Can you please update your community profile to include your:

  • Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 




First Timer

Community profile completed. 

Grateful for any help you can give. 

Now 23 days without internet, many phone calls from TT managers not made and three appointments for telecoms engineers to visit not kept. 

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi DrLazarus


Thanks for updating your Community Profile.


Can I just check which router is currently connected to the line? Is the router at the test socket?


I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an Openreach engineer visit.





First Timer

Thanks for getting back to me Debbie.


The router is a new Sagecom provided by TalkTalk and is connected to the test socket.

An Openreach engineer has already been booked to come tomorrow morning (Tuesday 30th) between 08.00 and 13.00.


This will be the fourth time TT has scheduled one to visit!  The last three never turned up!  Hopefully, this time it will actually happen.


I'll let you know the outcome.



Community Team - TT Staff

Hi DrLazarus,


Did you reply to OCE_Debbie's PM, sorry but I can't see a response 



First Timer

Yes Chris.


I am also getting email from OCE_Michelle (Community Team - TT Staff) saking me to uprate my profile.  However this has already been done.



Community Team - TT Staff

Hi DrLazarus,


I've raised a complaint on your behalf to our CEO Office as requested, one of our complaint managers will contact you within 5 working days to discuss your complaint. Apologies again for any inconvenience caused by this issue