Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Hive not connecting to internet

16 REPLIES 16
jolawton07
Chatterbox

I know this question looks like it belongs in Hive's site but they've exhausted their tech support and still no joy so told me to ask talk talk. 

Got now boiler and hive installed yesterday. The Hive hub is connected to brand new Talk talk router with ethernet but is constantly trying to connect to internet and can't get on.

I have tried:

- different ethernet cable

- all 4 ports

- moved hive hub away from router by 50cm+

- 6 restarts (unplugging everything,  waiting 10 mins)

- speeds are good - new router as we had issues with our internet which has now been resolved

Any help is so much appreciated.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Does the hub show the LAN port as Up? To find out please log into the router & go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Ethernet gear icon

Assuming that it does show that port's status as Up, does the Hive have any way of displaying the IP addressing information allocated to it by the router? If it does, what is it being allocated for:-

1. IP address
  2. Subnet Mask
  3. Default Gateway
  4. DNS Server(s)

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

jolawton07
Chatterbox

Hi

Sorry I'm new and hadn't seen that anyone had replied to me.

So, my router login - which I assume is the 168.***.*.* admin panel, doesn't have the named options as you mention below. But my hub is currently in the first ethernet port and I have found under 'router interface status' that LAN1 keeps going from 'connected full 100 mbps' to 'disconnected' (no's 2 - 4 are all empty and say disconnected so I assume this is the ethernet port.

I have a MAC address only for it, it's doesn't have any of your 4 listed things.

It's either faulty or it's like the router is purposefully not letting it connect to the internet.

Any ideas what I could try?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @jolawton07 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Community Team

Hi,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

jolawton07
Chatterbox
@OCE_Michelle profile updated
Community Team

Hi jo,

Thanks. I've checked and the router currently has the latest version of firmware. I've also run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault.

Just to confirm, have you tested with a HG633 and a 3782 router?

Thanks

jolawton07
Chatterbox

Hello,

I've now tried both routers and the Hive is not connecting with either of them. Could this be a universal setting within TalkTalk routers that could be blocking Hive connecting or would you think its more likely a faulty Hive?

Thanks for your help

KeithFrench
Community Star

In the Hive's Ethernet configuration, does it have any speed & duplex settings?

Keith

jolawton07
Chatterbox

I'm sorry I'm not very technical. Where would I look for this information?

KeithFrench
Community Star

I can't tell you that, because I have never seen a hive, but these are basic properties that affect an Ethernet (wired connection).

Can you provide me with a link to download a user guide to start with & I'll have a look at that tomorrow?

Keith

jolawton07
Chatterbox

I can't connect to the Hive because it needs to be online before my phone/device will pick it up and register it. So all I can give is the manual - the Hive troubleshooting is very basic - turn off, unplug, plug back in, restart.

The manual is also basic! https://www.mrstat.co.uk/thermostats/hive-hub-guide.pdf

ferguson
Community Star

Which device are you using the Hive app on? 

KeithFrench
Community Star

What type of Ethernet cable are you using? Most people will get away with Cat5e cables, but the specifications say Cat6 should be see on 1Gps connections. Look along the cable edge, it will normally tell you there.

Keith

Community Team

Hi jolawton07,

How are you getting on? 🙂

Thanks

Flashybike1
Chatterbox
Any luck? Mines doing the same. Tried all sorts with hive on the phone but we can’t get the hub to connect to the internet!

If you fixed it please reply!
James
Community Team

Hi @Flashybike1 

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie