Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Horrible dl/up speeds

20 REPLIES 20
psicadet
Popular Poster

I've had fibre for a while now and now that my DL/UP speed is 0.88/8.19mb/s, and continuously getting slower, this is getting ridiculous and is severely affecting my workflow. 

If this isn't sorted I'll consider a new provider. 

//MC
KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi psicadet

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your TalkTalk telephone number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

I don't use a landline so I must have forgot when I first set up this community account.

I have added the necessary information.

//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault.

We would need to check if your landline service is working ok. If you are experiencing a fault with the landline service then this can affect the BB connection and would have to be investigated first.

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

If there is possibly a line fault, what steps are there to be taken to test/repair such issue? How is such an investigation opened, can you open a case for me? 

I have nowhere else to go.
MC 

//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet

Would it be possible to borrow a phone to check if your landline service is working ok? (check you have a dialtone and if there is any noise on the line)

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

I'm very literal so please verify, do you mean get a handset, plug it in, check my own house phone works? 

I've given it a call via mobile and it rings through. 

//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet

Yes please can you connect a phone at the test socket to see if you have a dial tone. If you do have a dialtone then please can you make some test calls from the line to see if there is any noise?

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

I will get ahold of one and get back to you. 

//MC
Community Team
psicadet
Popular Poster
I haven't been able to get ahold of one yet, my speeds are getting so slow it's struggling to load this page and streaming isn't there either. Please, Is there really anything you or your associates can do on your end to see if this is a definite line fault ? And the following proceedings? I'm trying. MC
//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet

If you have tested with an alternative router at the test socket then I can pass this over to our Network Team.

Just to advise, if you do have a fault with the landline service and a BB engineer is sent to investigate then they may not be able to resolve this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie I have obtained a landline and conducted the test. 

On my mobile phone, the audio was fine. 
On the landline, I could hear what I was saying, with crackling sounds underneath it all.

I'm getting really frustrated. I'm paying for 10-20mbps and I've been receiving 2mbps, having issues streaming Youtube now. 

What can be done from this point on? 

//MC
psicadet
Popular Poster

I don't have access to an alternate router, but can Networking still be able to look at this?

The devices on my network are few, including a hard wired desktop, a ps3 hard wired, a DS and a phone. Not all connected at once. 

//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

If you can please arrange that , then it means we can rule out another possibility. 

Will there be charge for postage? 

//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet

The replacement router is on its way, there will be no charge for this.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

psicadet
Popular Poster

I received the router, after installing it I discovered that the speeds are no different. My download is still at an average of 2mbps but strangely, my upload speeds are about 6mbps. 

Does that mean there is a line fault? 

//MC
Community Team

Hi psicadet,

Thanks for testing this. I've passed the low sync speed over to our Network Team now and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks