Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

House move - fibre slower than guaranteed min speed

21 REPLIES 21
orangewinger
Popular Poster

Did a house move a couple of week ago and haven't managed to get the guaranteed speeds on fibre yet. At first I realised I wasn't plugged into the master socket and moved the modem. Then had connection drops and realised a phone on an extension didn't have a filter, it now does, I've had a stable connection for 20 hours now.

I have a link speed of 5249/23910 Kbps and expecing 30000 down at minimum. I have a Brightspark engineer coming out on Wednesday but I was wondering if a line test has been done or if the DSM can be reset as it might be me causing the issue?

How long before I would expect to see the speeds going up?

I have a master socket but it doesn't have a test socket and I have now disconnected all powerline and other equipment to try and isolate the issue.

TIA

Dave

orangewinger
Popular Poster
Had a stable connection for 42 hours now but no speed improvements.
hosay299
Insightful One

Hi Welcome 

just so u know fibre can take around 10 days to go to a stable speed as it is on a different system to standard broadband.

Can u try a thing out what what router u have?? as sometime that can tell u ur speed to ur router before any devices are connected??

Have u tried turning the router off for 30 mins so that when u turn it back on it reconnects correcly with the system.

What is the bright spark booked for ??? just they could look at the speed issue if booked for broadband related.

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Community Team

Hi orangewinger,

Unfortunately we can't request a DLM reset as this has to be requested by a BTOR engineer following a fault investigation. Does the master socket have a test socket?

Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line?

Thanks

orangewinger
Popular Poster

I've been trying to resolve this with Talk Talk support via chat but I'm not getting anywhere. So back to here.

I do have noise on the line (using a corded phone) and the internet speed is still low. There is no test socket on the master socket unfortunately.

I was told Open Reach needed access to the house and then nothing, then given a slot (18th Dec 2018 2-4pm) when someone would contact me from the problem solver team but they never did. Now turns out my case has been closed.

Can anyone help as everytime I contact the chat support they get me to run speed tests and tell me there is no issue?

Community Team

Hi orangewinger,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, is the noise permanent? Is the noise also present with 2 different handsets directly at the master socket and with all other equipment removed from the line?

Thanks

orangewinger
Popular Poster

Yes, the noise is permanent when a corded phone is plugged directly into the master socket with no other equipment connected. There is also noise on a non-corded phone, but I bought a corded one to check directly as I wasn't sure if it was due to phone.

Community Team

Hi orangewinger,

How would you describe the noise (crackle, hiss, buzz, static etc)?

Chris

orangewinger
Popular Poster

The dialtone sounds distorted and when i dial 17070 there is a buzz in the background.

Community Team

OK, thanks

This is probably going to need an engineer visit so can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

orangewinger
Popular Poster

I have now got the face plate off and have the same noise when plugged into the test socket. The router connected to the test socket has seen a slight speed increase though.

I accept tthe potential charges, will this be open reach or bright sparks?

My availability is AM and PM Monday to Friday.

Thanks.

Dave

Community Team

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a bit more information 

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Thanks for the PM, I've passed on your availability to our network team. We'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the date and time slot booked

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi Dave,

Our network team have booked the engineer visit for this morning (08:00-13:00), sorry about the short notice, please let us know how you get on 

Chris

orangewinger
Popular Poster

OR engineer was here at just gone 8, he has done something to reduce the background noise but said there is a fault in the line between the house and the cabinet and will need further investigations by OR.

Community Team

Hi orangewinger

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Did the engineer advise if they were arranging the further investigations?

Debbie

orangewinger
Popular Poster

Another engineer has been out and has requested the dig and cable replacement.

Community Team

Hi orangewinger,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

orangewinger
Popular Poster

Openreach have just been out and dug up the drive and laid a new phone line and now the voice line is nice and quiet and I have faster fibre connection.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Community Team

Hi orangewinger,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks