cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

How can talktalk charge for THEIR faulty equipment?

5 REPLIES 5
Robby75
First Timer

So I've spent sometime talking to customer services as we've got no audio from our talktalk TV box which is the box they supplied. Now because they can't find a problem over the computer they charge us £40 for an engineer to visit.

How can they justify charging their paying customers for their faulty equipment?

We are seriously thinking about leaving talktalk as they are in breach of their own contract. For they are not supplying the service we signed up too.

Robert
KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Robby75 

The TV Box may be faulty and of course if it is the BrightSparks engineer will replace it without any charge.

But let's see if there's an answer.  Has the TV Box previously had sound?  And the sound volume isn't muted or turned down to zero?  Mute and volume on the remote control.

There is a compatibility thing on the HDMI socket connection used to connect the TV Box to the TV.  If the TV is set for Ultra High Definition (UHD) Colour then there'll be no sound. The TV's HDMI socket used for the TV Box must be set for Normal or UHD off to be compatible with the TV Box.

What make and model TV is it?

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Robby75
First Timer

Thank you @KeithFrench 

Robert
Robby75
First Timer

Hi @Gondola,

We own a Panasonic TV, but we can't tell you the model as it's fixed to the wall, and can't look at the back.

Everything was working fine yesterday morning. I have returned home from work yesterday to find no audio coming from the talktalk box. No settings have been changed since it was working!

I've spoken to talktalk customer service via online chat, and been though resetting the box and several other settings with them. They have booked an engineer to visit us. But we have been advised that this will entail a £40 fee.

We are very upset to have to pay for an engineer to visit and repair faulty equipment that was supplied by the supplier as part of a package we are already paying for. It is surely down to talktalk to provide working equipment, and maintain a working service. Otherwise they are breaching their own contract for not supplying a service we are still paying for.

Robert
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Robby75 

It does sound like (sorry) a fault. Is it possible to remove and reinsert both ends of the HDMI cable and having tested that to then try swapping out the HDMI cable and to try the HDMI cable in another HDMI input port/socket on the TV that you know is working?

Really just trying to make sure as far as possible that you're not going to get charged for a TV sound fault or cable fault. But as I said before, if the TV Box is faulty it'll be swapped out at no charge.

If multiple HDMI inputs are in use then try swapping the TV Box to an HDMI input port/socket that you know is working and the other one to the current TV Box HDMI input port/socket to see if that fails to work.

And if in any doubt about the TV HDMI settings on the Panasonic TV models there is usually a Mode setting:

• Display the Menu
  • Select Setup
  • Select HDMI Auto Setting
  • Select Mode 1 for the HDMI socket you're using for the TV Box
    (For each selection press OK to select and OK to store the setting)
 Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer